Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: White versus Black salaries in SA

Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    Makes sense, if you look at unemployment.
    What % of black people is unemployed?
    So glad you asked

Name:  unemploymentrate.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  24.9 KB

Unemployed (official definition): Persons who did not work, but who looked for work and were available to work in the reference period.
    Unemployed (expanded definition): Persons who did not work, but were available to work in the reference period.

Quote Originally Posted by joelus View Post
    Can you explain this to me, I don't understand what you mean?
    If there are 10 green people earning a total of R1000 a year, then the average salary is R100.
    If there are 100 blue people earning a total of R10000 a year, then the average salary is R100.
    The minority group earns the same as the majority group...
    So what do you mean when you say divide the amount of income in their own race groups the minority group will show a bigger income? This is only true if, in fact, the minority group actually has a bigger income...
    Your example is too simplistic.

The truth is that averages always paint a incorrect picture.

People will never earn an average salary. A street sweeper will never earn the same salary as Jacob Zuma. A lawyer will never earn the same as a teacher... its the nature of the capitalist economy (also of supply and demad)

The only real thing that you can measure correctly is that if a black person does job A and a white person does job A do they get the same salary.

If only black people do job A and only white people do job B... and job A pays less than job B, then the solution is to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to do job.

See how some stats can be useful and others useless.
    "What can be asserted without proof can be dismissed without proof." ~ Christopher Hitchens

My idea of "Help from above" is a sniper on a roof.

Quote Originally Posted by Mila View Post
    House hold income or job specific?
    In 10 years time women is going to kick men's asses.
    Yip, if anyone should be pissed off by those stats it should be women. The excuse of inferior education, living conditions etc cannot be used as an excuse there. However, perhaps it does point to another, possibly very controversial, point that may affect earnings. Ambition! Forgive any generalisations here that may be construed as being sexist or racist, but I know of very few white men who would actively seek a job as a petrol pump attendant or a mine worker. Now it may boil down to education but I know of some white guys with no matric who still do not consider that as an employment for them. They will continue to seek something better. As a counter argument, maybe it's because they know that, being white, there is something better out there for them. Who knows. Chicken or egg.

And then with women. How many, even ones I studied with who are qualified, seem rather happy to settle for jobs far below their level of expertise and skill. And sadly even more are quite happy to settle into the life of a being a housewife! Possibly later in life needing to go out and work when he gives her the boot and then having to settle for lower paying jobs.

Controversial but something to consider.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by zamedic View Post
    So glad you asked

Name:  unemploymentrate.jpg
Views: 125
Size:  24.9 KB

Unemployed (official definition): Persons who did not work, but who looked for work and were available to work in the reference period.
    Unemployed (expanded definition): Persons who did not work, but were available to work in the reference period.
    Now we need 8x more jobs to satisfy this country.

I suspect a lot of angry discourse around the results as usual with very few concrete solutions also as per usual.

We have a two pronged problem.

Too many people.
    Too few properly educated people.

Not sure too many people alone is enough of a reason for our issues. We are ranked 169th in the world for population density. Employment, or lack thereof, is the single biggest problem. Of course better education would alleviate some of this but we still have educated people not finding work so employment opportunities are first and foremost.

Ag no man. This made the headline on the frontpage of the bbc's website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20138322

My opinion. If you want the average income of white and black south africans then get it from its source. SARS. Not some questionares.

Quote Originally Posted by twicode View Post
    Ag no man. This made the headline on the frontpage of the bbc's website.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-20138322

My opinion. If you want the average income of white and black south africans then get it from its source. SARS. Not some questionares.
    Ha ha ha, how to take something and turn it into a nice sensationalist headline!

Black household
    2001 R22,522
    2011 R60,613

169% increase.

White household
    2001 R193,820
    2011 R365,134

88% increase.

Now correct me if I'm wrong but that would mean a closing of the "racial divide".

This thread was doomed to become a racially motivated debate. So glad that I am just happy to have a job in this country and therefor will continue doing it to the best of my ability. I have however heard several comments from colleagues, indicating that certain political party affiliations would also land you a very nice, well paying job.

Very scary to think people could be appointed based on other factors than their skill and personality. Unfortunately I have sat on interview panels enough to know that this is indeed the case. One of the main factors however are the words "Affirmative Action".

Comment from Mike Schussler:

White South Africans earn six times more than African South Africans. But African have a median age of 21 while Whites have a median age of 38. 14% of White South Africans work for themselves while only 5% of African do.

Also The typical education for whites is post matrics and for African it is pre matric (4,5 thimes more white have a post school qualification than African South Africans.) I am concerned that Statistics SA helps a headline of whites earn six times more than African appear without some explanation

This sounds more like racial bias that is entrenched by our Statistical Agency. I am really concerned that things are stated like this rather than whites are 17 years older than Africans. Both would make headlines but only one would entrench racial politics.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Comment from Mike Schussler:

White South Africans earn six times more than African South Africans. But African have a median age of 21 while Whites have a median age of 38. 14% of White South Africans work for themselves while only 5% of African do.

Also The typical education for whites is post matrics and for African it is pre matric (4,5 thimes more white have a post school qualification than African South Africans.) I am concerned that Statistics SA helps a headline of whites earn six times more than African appear without some explanation

This sounds more like racial bias that is entrenched by our Statistical Agency. I am really concerned that things are stated like this rather than whites are 17 years older than Africans. Both would make headlines but only one would entrench racial politics.
    Awesome comment by Schussler

@rpm: That headline...not cool.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234