Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: installing a dstv dish

Grandmaster

Default installing a dstv dish

how hard is it to get a satelite dish installed? is it possible to do it myself or do i HAVE to get someone to do it? the physical part is not the problem, you have to align it or something, is that a matter of keep moving it till i have signal or what? anyone?

You will not align the dish without some form of signal strength indication device. Do the physical installation an point the disc towards the North East (azimuth = 50 deg) at an elevation of approx. 55 deg from the horizon. That is a good start.

You can get these mobile dish alignment thingies from good caravan shop. It's a small device that plug into the LNB and a socket for an earpiece. You now "listen" to the signal strength to locate the PAS7 Sat. I think the higher the pitch the stronger the signal.

The manual that came with this device was rather criptic but I did manage to get a good signal within a few minutes of sukkeling.

The manual also contains a skymap of approximate dish azimuth and Sat elevation depending on your location within SA.

HTH

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by grubsner
    The manual also contains a skymap of approximate dish azimuth and Sat elevation depending on your location within SA.

HTH
    assumption 1: you have one of those devices?

assumption 2: you live in gauteng?

assumption 3: you know how it works better than me

request : can i buy you a case of beer?

Super Grandmaster

I helped a friend install his dish. Took my small b/w tv and decoder up onto the roof, and used the decoder's signal strength meter to get the best signal. We got it tuned within a few minutes.

Squeezing the the last few pertentage points of signal quality by aligning the dish by hand is the most difficult as when you try to fasten the dish it disaligns slightly causing you to lose a bit of signal. We eventually got 90% signal quality out of a 60cm dish in the Cape Town area. Not bad I think as mine was "professionally" installed and I get 80%...

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ajax
    I helped a friend install his dish. Took my small b/w tv and decoder up onto the roof, and used the decoder's signal strength meter to get the best signal. We got it tuned within a few minutes.

Squeezing the the last few pertentage points of signal quality by aligning the dish by hand is the most difficult as when you try to fasten the dish it disaligns slightly causing you to lose a bit of signal. We eventually got 90% signal quality out of a 60cm dish in the Cape Town area. Not bad I think as mine was "professionally" installed and I get 80%...
    okay now sorry a few questions...

how long after you point it in the rigth direction will it appear on the screen as you are getting somewhere?

i mean i will first attempt to hold the dish on my patio and see if i get a signal. then mount it on the wall if i came right. but cant sit and point in all directions the whole day and not know if i'm even doing it right.

Super Grandmaster

The dstv signal meter updates quite fast. If you turn the dish about 3 degrees per second, you should "catch" the right azimuth angle quickly. Remember to look at the signal quality percentage, not the signal strength.

What we did was install the dish on its pole on the chimney, and first fixed the elevation angle at around 55 degrees. Then it was easy to turn the pole and find the right azimuth angle. Once the correct azimuth angle is found, you can fasten the pole so that it doesn't turn sideways and then just fidget with the elevation angle again slightly to fine tune.

Don't be satisfied with less than 80% signal quality, the less your signal the more likely your picture will break up during a thunderstorm.

I wouldn't just hold it loose like you suggest. You can easily miss the correct angle I would think.

Grandmaster

[QUOTE=ajax]The dstv signal meter ...QUOTE]

i think i will put it on its pole in the ground to start with. then move it like you say. i will look at neighbours one to at least see what direction to point the thing. haha.

what do you call that thing that you get from the caravan shop? any idea?

The method that ajax describes will work. When I did the install we still had the old software with the slow bargraph display. The new software does give a faster response on signal quality that does make it possible to align with a TV and decoder on the roof.

Fix the dish elevation at 55 deg. I think most decoders have a deg scale on the side, that is punced into the metal frame, to get you going.

The azimuth is about NE (45-55 deg from North).

I saw the unit for sale somewhere but for the life of me can;t remember. Try maybe Midas or Builders Warehouse. I think this unit is quite expensive though...

OK have a look at Ellies:

http://www.ellies.co.za/elsat/produc...ts/caravan.php

They call it a digital satellite seeker. It's part of a Caravan Kit though. Sure you can get it as a separate item.

Grandmaster

shot. you guys help a lot i must say.

i really appreciate it. lemme call ellies... (if it cost more than R150 i may as well get someone to come install the thing hehe)

Grandmaster

OK have a look at Ellies:

http://www.ellies.co.za/elsat/produc...ts/caravan.php

They call it a digital satellite seeker. It's part of a Caravan Kit though. Sure you can get it as a separate item.
    okay well the seeker alone is R299 from them. maby i can start my own business and pay it off. LOL

You did mention a case of beer! lol

What you can do: Instead of using a TV on the roof, use a video camera with a LCD display just to see the signal strength. LNB to decoder and decoder S-video output to Camcorder video input...just an idea!

Grandmaster

What you can do: Instead of using a TV on the roof, use a video camera with a LCD display just to see the signal strength. LNB to decoder and decoder S-video output to Camcorder video input...just an idea!
    lol i sometimes wonder about us humans. instead of paying R400, we are prepared to cart our whole tv and decoder and a lead up onto the roof and sit and aim hopelessly with a dish into the sky hoping something out in space will get a connection with your satelite dish....

well today after work my video camera and decoder will be on the roof... so if you see anybody with all their electronics and a campmaster chair sitting on the roof, throw me a beer hey!!

Grandmaster

lol i sometimes wonder about us humans. instead of paying R400, we are prepared to cart our whole tv and decoder and a lead up onto the roof and sit and aim hopelessly with a dish into the sky hoping something out in space will get a connection with your satelite dish....

well today after work my video camera and decoder will be on the roof... so if you see anybody with all their electronics and a campmaster chair sitting on the roof, throw me a beer hey!!

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

You could alway just get a friend to shout from your lounge, that worked for me when I set mine up and I have 60% strength and 86% quality in the Table View area.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast