Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smart TV or Not?

I am almost sold on the non-smart TV idea.

Just need to revisit the age old debate of lcd vs plasma.

my use (and kids) will just be dstv - series, movies and sport and streaming from pc.

Quote Originally Posted by unwired View Post
    Just need to revisit the age old debate of lcd vs plasma.
    My 2c here ... http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...=1#post9447108 ... go look for yourself to decide.

will just be dstv - series, movies and sport
    As per the above, invest in a HDPVR if you don't already have one.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

Grandmaster

Also recently got a Samsung Smart TV and discovered the Plex client, very good replacement of the PS3 for streaming. Didn't buy the TV specifically for this function, was a bonus I discovered after the fact. Will say that I don't think its worth R7k extra. Although you are getting more than just Smart functionality with the 6200 over the 6030. I believe the extras also include 3D and higher CMR although again, if you're not interested in those then probably not worth the extra cost.

If you spend the R7k on a PC and hook that up to the TV you will be able to do anything you want on it. No limitations. Even a R4k PC will be good enough. My parents have the 46" Samsung Full HD 3D LED Series 7 Smart TV. They mostly use it to play music, watch the odd youtube video and to google stuff.

Default Smart TV or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by SaiyanZ View Post
    If you spend the R7k on a PC and hook that up to the TV you will be able to do anything you want on it. No limitations. Even a R4k PC will be good enough. My parents have the 46" Samsung Full HD 3D LED Series 7 Smart TV. They mostly use it to play music, watch the odd youtube video and to google stuff.
    Seven?
    Under 2k for an hp micro server plus Hdmi card.

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    Seven?
    Under 2k for an hp micro server plus Hdmi card.
    R7k if you also want to do some work/gaming on it apart from just watching movies/series. i.e. If you don't have another dedicated PC.

Default Re: Smart TV or Not?

Quote Originally Posted by Ice2Cool View Post
    As i mentioned above, Plex was launched for the 2012 models about 5 days ago. Its on the App Store - dload it and try it out! Its amazing. I streamed 1080p mkv of dark knigh rises flawlessly over wifi. It works better than plex on my apple tv.
    Installed it this evening. Hpms in lounge connected to avr etc. Plex on 51E550 in the bedroom. Tp link routers in bedroom and lounge both running wds to one upstairs for 8ta. So far working awesomely. About 1 or 2 seconds buffering before playing.
    Also updated the rest of the smart TV stuff and it all seems to run a bit faster/smoother. Wish I could remove the stuff I won't use like family story, fitness, etc

Just bought the plex for Android client. Was streaming to TV, S2 and galaxy Tab simultaneously and all flawless Looks like the Tab is eventually updating to ICS now as well. It's awesome when stuff just works.

Hi All

I am in the market for a new TV, and have been looking at the Samsung range.

The 2 models I have been comparing are:

1. Samsung 55" 3D Full HD LED - UA55EH6030

2. Samsung 55" Smart Slim 3D Full HD LED - UA55ES6200

Makro has both on special at R 12 999 and R 19 999 respectively.

The question I have - Is the 'Smart' tv really worth the extra R7k.

Admittedly the UA55ES6200 is a slim TV compared to the EH6030 (which seems bulky) - I am going to wall mount it - so don't think that it is a train smash for me.

What does the Smart Tv really have? I have read that it has Plex but don't know much else.

Do the smart tv owners here make use of the extra features?

Or is it better to add on a microserver to the EH6030 and get 'internet' features?

The specials expire on 10 Dec - so I have to make a decision asap.
    Would appreciate fellow MYBB's expert advice.

Thanks

ps. If there is a better model/brand please let me know.
    Expected use is DSTV movies/series, sports and occassional DVD + streaming from Plex.
    I would say get the better display panel. The one with better contrast and viewing angle. Look at inputs. Look at specs. Look at reviews of picture quality.

Forget the SMART. It's hype. If you want that, get an iPad and play with the toys there. But for a TV, I'd say, go with the best picture you can afford, don't spend money on aesthetics or gimmicks.

Super Grandmaster

Definitely not worth R7k alone... but it is more than that you get a thinner bezel, higher CMR, probably a slightly better panel. I still don't think its worth it. I opted for the 6030 and am very happy.

Thanks for this thread.

I've also started using Plex now, so the SMART part is even more worthwhile.

It doesn't support photos yet.

The iPad version of Plex is $4.99, so will buy that too.
    Brilliant app.

I'd say the ability to run plex adds around 1 to 2k worth of value to the tv if you have a server with your media. It's a helluva lot nicer than a mede8er for instance but obviously lacks the fancy plugins and configuration options that xbmc has.

Just got a Smart TV and some of the Samsung apps are really cool. You can get a radio app that plays all sorts of cool music. I haven't set up the media program yet on my PC.
    enoki.co.za
    In the depths of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay an invincible summer. -Albert Camus

The microsoft wireless KB and mouse from esquire works very well on my UA40EH5300.
    If it walks like a duck and kwaks like a duck ..its a duck

I bought a Samsung UA46ES6200 in December and I love the Smart TV features and use it frequently.
    Will have to see if my usage remains the same in the year ahead.

I set up a low power Linux storage device that uses less than 10 Watts (including 1TB 2.5 inch drive) and configured it as a Samba, DLNA (minidlna) and bittorrent media server. Photos, videos and music gets dumped to the device which can then be viewed on the TV.
    The web based bittorrent client (deluge) allows me to add or manage downloads remotely and the completed files are automatically served up via DLNA to the TV.
    I used to use an Xbox 360 as a media extender but this is so much better. No need to boot a power hungry PC, Xbox and TV simultaneously.
    I'm also very impressed that the Samsung supports Ogg Vorbis (including tags/metadata) and MKV's out of the box (works over USB and DLNA).

I bought the UA46EH6030 and when I got home found out that it didn't have built in wireless or half the Smart features of the 6200 so I returned it and paid the extra R500. The wireless dongle costs more than R500 so it's worth the extra money IMO.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123