Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Honda Jazz fuel issues

Default Honda Jazz fuel issues

So my wife is having problems with her Honda Jazz 1.4 (actually 1.3) Auto
    first problem is fuel consumption: she generally gets around 10l/100km including highway and urban travelling.

However my biggest problem is the 'range to zero':
    When her fuel light comes on, it says between 40 - 60km to zero. fine. This is after about 300kms on a tank

When range is actually Zero, she can drive another 70 - 100kms before the car actually runs out of fuel!! (which we've done numerous times)

Does anyone else have this? Cause Honda head mechanic says it's normal for all Honda's to do this.
    i.e. drive 70 - 100kms after your range says zero.

Anyone?

Wow, that is very strange indeed. My car will not carry on for 70 - 100km after it went to 0 on display. My guess is faulty sensor? What Honda dealership did you take it to?

10l/100km? Is that what it says on the display or is that what you actually calculate after you put in fuel? It should be in the range of 6.5l - 7l per 100km if I had to guess. How old is the car?

The range estimate isn't very reliable, you should mostly ignore it. Most cars will have a quite a lot of fuel left when the light comes on, that's to cater to the irresponsible people. I would guess for the same reason they tell you that the range is Zero when you actually can drive many km's with it, they want to stop people from taking chances. I know how many litres I put in when the fuel light comes on, and I know the size of the tank, so therefore I know that when the light comes on I have roughly 10 litres left, and I know how far that will get me.

I don't really see the problem apart from your high fuel consumption.

I feel it's quite a big problem. The car has a 40-45 litre tank, and if we fill up when range is zero, we put it about 32-35 litres at most.
    There (Northcliff Honda) story about this being normal is crap to me. How can you drive 100kms after your range says zero?
    they should rather just have not included a range to zero setting at all then.

Car is 2 years old, and the consumption to me is crazy... but again, they say it's normal... great.

Edit: Consumption is based on what the display says, which is pretty close to what I calculate it from fill ups.

I think you should go for a second opinion at Honda West Rand. Doesn't sound right mate. If my car says I have 30km left then I have about 30km left. If I fill up I have to put almost 50ltr in and it has a 50ltr tank.

Quote Originally Posted by wonduhboy View Post
    I feel it's quite a big problem. The car has a 40-45 litre tank, and if we fill up when range is zero, we put it about 32-35 litres at most.
    There (Northcliff Honda) story about this being normal is crap to me. How can you drive 100kms after your range says zero?
    they should rather just have not included a range to zero setting at all then.

Car is 2 years old, and the consumption to me is crazy... but again, they say it's normal... great.

Edit: Consumption is based on what the display says, which is pretty close to what I calculate it from fill ups.
    A quick search through http://www.fitfreak.net/forums/ reveals that it is normal to go many kilometers after the light came on in a Honda Jazz (also called the Honda Fit if you didn't know), seems numbers of 50-60 miles are thrown around there.

I know from experience that the range isn't correct on a Honda Jazz, but it's not really bothered me, it just makes one fill up earlier, so I don't see the harm. If the inaccuracy bothers you I don't know what the dealer can do, you can ask if it's even possible to adjust this somehow?

Your fuel consumption seems off however, such a small car can't be using 10l/100km. Tyre pressure and all of that OK? Are the tyres still the same size as on the ones it came out with?
    Last edited by proxilin; 05-12-2012 at 02:05 PM.

My s2000 uses less fuel than your jazz!

For a town runaround we had a 2004 Jazz CVT. It did 129977km and consumed 9589 litres of petrol.
    That works out to 7.38/100km.
    This tjorrie worked hard and in summer lived with the aircon going full steam.
    It did the odd open road trip and the fuel consumption then was around 5,5 -6,0l/100km.

Fill up as soon as the little yellow light appears on the fuel gauge. It takes between 34 litres and 36 litres.
    the tank capacity is 42 litres.
    Drivers were told to fill to the first click of the fuel nozzle and NOT to trickle fill to the brim.

Incidentally, this vehicle had the lowest cost per kilometre off all our vehicles. All services are done by the Honda dealer.

It was recently bought by a member of staff and still going very well. I'm told that it now averages 6,3l/100km.