Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast

Thread: Is Pick n Pay spying on you?

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    Privacy? Who cares if they know your name and the fact that you bought an e-book?
    Spam: they send you ebook specials via SMS for 50 shades of gray , vampire books, steve hofmeyer's fiction books etc
    Privacy: PnP IT creates a data warehouse that pull together PnP smarshopper buys with Kobo ebook bought to more accurately identify you. PnP then on purpose sell or accidently leak this info to 3rd parties who now have much better info to target you for whatever purpose like cold calling etc.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by elf_lord_ZC5 View Post
    Stick to e-pub, then I can read them anywhere, on any thing I choose with reader software that does not call home. i.e. one that can be trusted ...
    And it seems you may even be able to abstract yourself from (any one) physical device too. I've only just found the site and their upload books question is currently SNAFU.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by elf_lord_ZC5 View Post
    A free internet connection that allows you to do what, other than download kindle books?

Very useful, not ...
    Not just download Kindle books (of which a lot are free through the guttenberg project) Word definitions, Wikipedia and Facebook at a stretch.
    Every time you make a typo, the errorists win

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by twicode View Post
    Spam: they send you ebook specials via SMS for 50 shades of gray , vampire books, steve hofmeyer's fiction books etc
    Privacy: PnP IT creates a data warehouse that pull together PnP smarshopper buys with Kobo ebook bought to more accurately identify you. PnP then on purpose sell or accidently leak this info to 3rd parties who now have much better info to target you for whatever purpose like cold calling etc.
    So according to this, it's only the matter of spam, because your privacy concerns are actually the same as spam?

Quote Originally Posted by akescpt View Post
    boils down to them being able to track spending habits and profiling areas, etc, etc. data is very valuable. the better you know your customer the better you can alleviate them of their money.
    How will they alleviate you out of your money? By offering you things you will most likely be insterested in purchasing?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

besides, using caliber, you can install epub onto kindle.

and the amazon ebooks over 3g is awesome. you can be in the middle of no where, with no access to a pc, and can purchase a new book and have it immediately on your device. yah, that sounds super crap

The e-reader that Kalahari sell is not bad. We keep copies of trial briefs on it and is handier than taking a laptop into a client meeting

Default Is Pick n Pay spying on you?

Quote Originally Posted by louisek View Post
    The e-reader that Kalahari sell is not bad. We keep copies of trial briefs on it and is handier than taking a laptop into a client meeting
    It is not "bad" but it is not great either ...
    Good coffee should be, black like the Devil, hot like Hell, and sweet as a Kiss - Hungarian Proverb.

Must be a Brackenfell thing.

I know a guy (from Brackenfell) who uses a permanent marker on the labels of packages from Kalahari.com or anything else delivered by courier because "they will steal my information".

I'm like, dude nobody cares that much about your details to go scratching through a bin to find it. Joke is it's probably all in the telephone book anyway.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by SauRoNZA View Post
    Must be a Brackenfell thing.

I know a guy (from Brackenfell) who uses a permanent marker on the labels of packages from Kalahari.com or anything else delivered by courier because "they will steal my information".

I'm like, dude nobody cares that much about your details to go scratching through a bin to find it. Joke is it's probably all in the telephone book anyway.
    This kind of paranoia is more common than you think.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Quote Originally Posted by encrypted View Post
    Interesting and very apt to this "paranoia" syndrome in this discussion.

Protection of Personal Information is becoming a big thing in SA, more so from 2013 - I personally don't have issues with my name and certain details being used for certain legitimate things, however I do object to my information being plastered all over the globe for marketing purposes by these companies without my consent (spam if you will).
    I think many companies will have to re-think their strategy soon on this subject, else they'll be in all sorts of trouble. Personally don't shop with PnP and also try to stay clear of companies known to harvest details and sell them on... just my own opinion and 2 cents worth, however each to his/her own
    PhenomII X6 1100T | Asus M5A99X Evo | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 16GB Hyper-X | Radeon HD6850 | Win7 Ult 64 | HX850 PSU | 2x Samsung 2333SW | CM690ii | H80 Cooler

Ah first world problems in the third world country got to love it!

Quote Originally Posted by twicode View Post
    Spam: Add number/e-mail address to block list (and if they actually tried to get hold of you they could phone you)

Privacy: If 'then on purpose sell or accidently leak this info to 3rd parties who now have much better info to target you for' relates to telemarketers, just say not interested and ask them to take you off their system and hang up.

Also, "sell or accidently leak this info to 3rd parties" if they do that it would just make them loose revenue?
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 460 1GB EE | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T
    Recall Zuma

Super Grandmaster

Default Re: Is Pick n Pay spying on you?

Since i still have a kindle, which i don't use anymore, just want to add. If you are buying an ereader with an lcd screen, like the kindle fire, then you might as well buy an android tablet, any tablet. Kobo and Kindle got apps on android, ios and windows. So you do not actually need the specific e reader, can use your phone if you want. I would thus rather consider which device gives me access to the most e book eco systems. Amazon imho is still the best in terms of quantity, so being able to run the kindle app is already good enough and then a generic reader for epubs if you don't want to convert books.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 12 3 LastLast