Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Can I connect Composite AV cables to Component???

Quote Originally Posted by weelzSA View Post
    Basically on my tv there is one AV input (for yellow, white and red) and then two sets of component inputs - So I am trying to connect either my wii or dstv to one of the component inputs using composite - does that make more sense?
    Not really. Rather refer to RCA cables for the cabling. Composite and component are video formats which use RCA cabling. The AV input you are referring to (yellow, white and red) is composite video (yellow) and stereo audio (red & white). You can use any RCA cable (they're all the same thing even if they have different coloured heads) to connect composite or component video. What is important to know is that they're not interchangeable - ie, composite out has to go to to composite in, and similar for component. You can't connect composite out to component in or visa versa.
    In South Africa even the information superhighway has potholes in it.

Yeah. That is what I am trying to do. I have the RCA cables (yellow, white and red) for both the dstv and wii. I have the dstv connected and picture looks perfect. When I try connect the wii RCA cables into the component input, I get sound but my picture is black and white. The cables are working perfect as I tried the wii in the inputs where the dstv is working and the picture is in full color but the dstv then shows black and white. So it's either something I am doing wrong or the connections are stuffed?

Default Can I connect Composite AV cables to Component???

will you read please. You CANNOT connect your wii's composite out into a component in and expect it to work.

Go and buy a component cable for your Wii, problem sorted.
    ...IMHO.

Wrong!

Quote Originally Posted by efitol View Post
    Go and buy a component cable for your Wii, problem sorted.
    Yep, or if you are on a DSTV Premium package, its well worth upgrading your decoder to a HDPVR. This will connect via HDMI, freeing up the single composite input for the Wii.

Ultimately to get the best picture out of your LG 1080p TV, it would be best to get both, Wii HD component cable & HDPVR.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

I don't use the wii enough to spend the extra cash, it's used more in my daughters room on there tv. With regards to dstv, I am on a compact package, literally only use it for soccer. All my other other media plays through hdmi. Is there a reason why the dstv also won't work when connected to component - is it the same reason the wii doesn't work? Sorry for sounding stupid, just very confused with some people saying it will work and others saying it wont.

Is there a reason why the dstv also won't work when connected to component - is it the same reason the wii doesn't work?
    Yes, no (recent) DSTV decoder is designed to output component. Its a old standard that has largely been made redundant by HDMI.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

I don't use the wii enough to spend the extra cash, it's used more in my daughters room on there tv. With regards to dstv, I am on a compact package, literally only use it for soccer. All my other other media plays through hdmi. Is there a reason why the dstv also won't work when connected to component - is it the same reason the wii doesn't work? Sorry for sounding stupid, just very confused with some people saying it will work and others saying it wont.
    Simple explanation: Composite and component both use 3 cables. However composite = 1 video channel and 2 audio channels; component = 3 video channels. That's why you get a fuzzy black & white picture - you're either only supplying a 1/3rd of the video data, or you're forcing all the video data down one channel when it's only meant to handle a 1/3rd.

Just because the connectors fit it doesn't mean it's meant to work.
    In the Age of Information
    ignorance is a choice

Default Can I connect Composite AV cables to Component???

So much of confusion. OP, what you want to do will never work...

Didn't you get one of these with your Wii?

Second star to the right and straight on 'til morning

Quote Originally Posted by Quantum Theory View Post
    So much of confusion. OP, what you want to do will never work...

Didn't you get one of these with your Wii?

was going to suggest to OP rather post pics of what he is talking about I think he and some of the posters are confusing Composite and component cables which on most tvs you cant plug a comppnent into composite and expect it to be in colour (component each cable caries a separate colour while composite has all video through one cable) some newer TV's share the Composite / component port (think Samsung series 5 and later does this):
    Attached Images    
    Some times the internet is so slow, it would be faster to just fly to Google's headquarters and ask them this $h1t in person.!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12