Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Virgin DNS and SMTP address needed please!

Grandmaster

Question Virgin DNS and SMTP address needed please!

Can someone help me by providing the Virgin DNS and SMTP addresses please? Everything works fine using a VM SIM in an old GPRS data card (which needs manual configuration) except for these details, and the friendly Helpdesk person I spoke to was not too sure what I was talking about....

Thanx guys!

Lightbulb

Data (SMS/MMS/WAP/GPRS/EDGE)

* How do I manually set Virgn Mobile MMS settings
    Profile name: virgin_mms
    Home URL: http://mms.virginmobile.co.za
    Primary IP address: 196.31.116.242
    Primary Port: 8080
    Secondary IP address: 196.31.116.242
    Secondary Port: 9201
    APN name: vmms
    Login ID: blank
    Login Pass: blank

* How do I manually set Virgn Mobile WAP settings
    Profile name: virgin_internet
    Home URL: http://mms.virginmobile.co.za
    Primary IP address: 196.31.116.241
    Primary Port: 8080
    Secondary IP address: 196.31.116.241
    Secondary Port: 9201
    APN name: vdata

* How do I manually set Virgn Mobile Data Card settings
    Initialization: *99#
    APN name: vdata

http://www.virginmobile.co.za/userGuide.shtml

SMTP Server = mail.cmobile.co.za

*PLEASE STICKY THIS THREAD*
    Last edited by mancombseepgood; 02-08-2006 at 07:11 AM.

Grandmaster

Default Still need DNS address/es

Hi Thorin1, thanx for the info. But because I am using a very old GPRS data card I still need specific DNS addresses, which were not included in this summary. Anyone know?
    I assume from the summary that Virgin is using CellC's server for customers' outgoing mail

Have you called 074 1000 123
    or 123 from VM handset?
    They are pretty helpful... Plz post here when you get them.

Grandmaster

Virgin DNS server addresses:

Primary: 196.7.0.138
    Secondary: 196.7.142.132

Note: I didn't get this from VM themselves... just what wvdial tells me

Grandmaster

Smile Thanx!

Thanx redarrow and others, and long live the forum! I have been getting the runaround from VM for two days on this one....

Helpful Helpdesk as earlier suggested, but this one is obviously beyond their normal sphere of knowledge, and they don't seem to be able to communicate directly with their techies (only by email), who either don't return calls or simply say VM sims don't work in data cards, end of story. Interesting that I am in fact doing this posting using a VM sim in a datacard, hmmmm..... (Admittedly I AM still using 'public' DNS addresses until I can try the new ones you just provided, in my generic, network-independent GPRS-only datacard.)

Grandmaster

Default Update on supplied DNS numbers

UPDATE on the last posting: I have tried these DNS numbers, but in entering them I realised that they are in fact the same generic, or 'public' DNS numbers I was using previously just to get up and running -- they do not appear to be the actual Virgin ones.

Of course they work for the meantime, but using generic DNS numbers is not really the ideal way to go. So the forum still needs the 'actual' Virgin data DNS numbers if anyone out there has them. I've given up on getting them from VM themselves after two days of hopeless runaround through their friendly but impotent Helpdesk folks.

Any way to tell from fone? VM sims are apparently set up already for internet... but how can one pick up these settings from say... nokia connection options etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Terencek
    Thanx redarrow and others, and long live the forum! I have been getting the runaround from VM for two days on this one....

Helpful Helpdesk as earlier suggested, but this one is obviously beyond their normal sphere of knowledge, and they don't seem to be able to communicate directly with their techies (only by email), who either don't return calls or simply say VM sims don't work in data cards, end of story. Interesting that I am in fact doing this posting using a VM sim in a datacard, hmmmm..... (Admittedly I AM still using 'public' DNS addresses until I can try the new ones you just provided, in my generic, network-independent GPRS-only datacard.)
    Just remember, if you go to www.virginmobile.co.za you can find lots of info if you just browse around.

http://www.virginmobile.co.za/userGuide.shtml

Samsung Galaxy Note 3 LTE Since 4-Oct-13
    Samsung Galaxy Note 10.1 Since 21-Jan-13
    Samsung Galaxy S4 Mini Since 13-Feb-14

Grandmaster

Default Virgin DNS addresses which work

I promised to post the Virgin data DNS addresses once I found them. But I have had to give up on getting them from VM itself despite the willingness of their '123' Helpdesk staff. After three days of trying, they simply appear unable to extract this simple piece of information from the techies, with whom they apparently have no telephone contact, only e-mail!

Instead of using 'public' DNS addresses in configuring a connection through my network-independent GPRS card (bought overseas), by trial and error I have found a combination which works. These are in fact the DNS addresses for VM's WAP and MMS, but appear to work perfectly well for GPRS data access using the standard vdata APN:

196.31.116.241 and 196.31.116.242

I have written a small text file (below) for anyone else in the same position who needs to do a manual VM connection configuration. The settings were done using the Voda Dashboard 7 software, which happily handles other network connections (unlike Voda's actual new HSDPA cards which we now all know are firmware-locked to Voda). There is no reason why the same settings shouldn't work using any other generic datacard software.
    Here is a collection of everything you should possibly need:

---------------------------------------------------------
    USING A GPRS DATACARD WITH A VIRGIN SIMCARD:
    A separate Virgin profile needs to be set in the software (e.g. Vodafone's Dashboard 7, which works with any network, not just Voda).
    Creating a new profile should automatically also create a connection entry and icon in Windows' Network Connections, though you should never need to work through that icon if you are using connection software such as the Dashboard.

If settings do not pick up automatically the following are valid for Virgin (note that after creating the profile in the Dashboard, you will have to Finish and then re-edit it during a second pass to get to where you can enter the APN, and in another section the Internet Protocols -- these options are not available when you first create a Profile).

APN: vdata
    Login Password: blank
    DNS: 196.31.116.241 and 196.31.116.242
    (Generic public addresses which will work are 196.7.0.138 and 196.7.142.132 but may be slower than the correct ones)

SMTP server for your outgoing mail (change in e-mail client): mail.cmobile.co.za
    Modem setting: officially should be *99#, but also appears to work retaining Voda setting (as does MTN: *99***1#)
    Initialization string might need to be changed to at+cgdcont=1,"ip","vdata","",0,0,
    (but also appears to work retaining Voda setting at+cgdcont=1,"IP","internet"
    Current flat data rate 50c/MB on all credit or prepaid plans (no data bundles)
    ---------------------------------------------------------

The above all works with a generic GPRS datacard.
    In common with others on this forum, I have been unable to get my (64k) VM SIM to work in my much fancier Vodafone-branded Novatel U740 HSDPA card. Swapping for a 128k SIM may help when they become available.
    Virgin SIMS of any description will not work in any of the new Voda Huawei E620 HSDPA data cards, which are firmware-locked to Vodacom -- but forum members have reported successes with the MTN version of the same datacard.

Hope this all helps. If anyone else manages to confirm or correct the data DNS settings above for Virgin, perhaps they could post an update here?

SMTP address is the same as cell C's for Virgin.

Try 196.31.116.200:25 to send mail through, let me know if it aint workin.

Quote Originally Posted by Terencek View Post
    (note that after creating the profile in the Dashboard, you will have to Finish and then re-edit it during a second pass to get to where you can enter the APN, and in another section the Internet Protocols -- these options are not available when you first create a Profile).
    Thanks! That one caught me - I have been editing the Connection data in windows!

Quote Originally Posted by Terencek View Post
    Modem setting: officially should be *99#, but also appears to work retaining Voda setting (as does MTN: *99***1#)
    Initialization string might need to be changed to at+cgdcont=1,"ip","vdata","",0,0,
    As a matter of interest, +cgdcont is the AT command for setting the APN. It is possible to create multiple APNs eg at+cgdcont=2,.... You use this APN by using the extended dial string *99***2#. (That is why *99***1# works as well as *99# - it forces dial of APN 1 which is the default). Some modems will allow you to save the current configuration using at&w - this means you could save the different APNs in the modem and access them by using the relevant dialling code! (As luck would have it my datacard does not support the at&w command, however my Wavecom GPRS modem does). All of the above could be setup using hyperterminal or similar.
    Last edited by Zax; 20-08-2006 at 03:05 PM.

I'm trying to get email going on my mobile. As it stands i cant send or recieve anything. (gmail).

Is the apn vdata?
    What about connect name? does that matter cause i have internet.gprs
    outgoing server - mail.cmobile.co.za (as you mentioned above)

Hi Terencek,

I am using an embedded app, these addresses (they may be generic) are actually provided by the vdata server system. i.e. They are what is actually suggested by the host during the PPP session startup.
    Regards
    rpg7

DNS Server 1 196.7.0.138
    DNS Server 2 196.7.142.132

Master

That would explain why my datacard connection works without these DNS entries in the dashboard.
    -------==I like to moveNETWORK TIMEOUT.....it, move it, you like to,NETWORK TCP_ERROR.....MOVEDISCONNECTED IT>>>>

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast