Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Midstream Estate & Smart Village

Default Midstream Estate & Smart Village

Hi guys, I'm new to the forum and moving into Midstream Estate X35 (Midlands Estate in other words) next week Friday.

Have done a search on Midstream/Smart Village but no real answers.

Getting the guys from (not so) Smart Village to install a network point next week.

What would be the best way to get wifi in the house? Thinking of getting an Apple Time Capsule and use it as a wifi router connected to the RJ45 sockect. Also have a smart TV, pc lots of Apple iDevices. Wife works from home on a Macbook.

Also hoping to use the TC as a network/media drive with the tv with the addition of an apple tv at a later date.

What would you okes recommend? Time Capsule or just a normal Belkin router or something similar with a hard drive connected to the USB on the router? Why

Thank in advance!

I'm in Midstream and have not gone the Smartvillage route yet. Was on Vodacom 3G, now on 8ta with a directional antennae. As for WiFi, I have gone the TP-Link route. Have a 3Gwifi router, 2 extenders of which one is configured as an Access Point. I am also running a couple of powerline devices from TP-Link. the wifi is pretty crappy in certain places in the house, so using the power cables as transmission medium works for me. At certain points in the house I get 230MB/s. You also get powerline devices that has WiFi built into them. I would buy a starter kit like that and give it a try if I were you.

Hi Ricky

It really depends on your house. We had trouble to get good coverage through the whole house (our ADSL line is right at the entrance of our house), and what worked really well for us is to use Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) adapters with Wi-Fi built in. Great speeds and good coverage everywhere.

Regarding Smart Village - we tested the service a few years ago (before MultiChoice Smart Village took over), and it was not great. Not sure how it performs now - will be keen to get your feedback.

Quick note: Vodacom now has LTE coverage in Midtsream, so may be worth it to test it at your new place.

Quote Originally Posted by rpm View Post
    Hi Ricky

It really depends on your house. We had trouble to get good coverage through the whole house (our ADSL line is right at the entrance of our house), and what worked really well for us is to use Broadband over Powerlines (BPL) adapters with Wi-Fi built in. Great speeds and good coverage everywhere.

Regarding Smart Village - we tested the service a few years ago (before MultiChoice Smart Village took over), and it was not great. Not sure how it performs now - will be keen to get your feedback.

Quick note: Vodacom now has LTE coverage in Midtsream, so may be worth it to test it at your new place.
    Cool, thanks! See I'm right on the border of LTE coverage... Will see how the SV connection works for a couple of months and maybe switch to Vodacom. With MTN I've seen that the 3G coverage is not consistent on our site and only EDGE is available then. EDGE - such a powerful and fast sounding name for a crappy connection...

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    I'm in Midstream and have not gone the Smartvillage route yet. Was on Vodacom 3G, now on 8ta with a directional antennae. As for WiFi, I have gone the TP-Link route. Have a 3Gwifi router, 2 extenders of which one is configured as an Access Point. I am also running a couple of powerline devices from TP-Link. the wifi is pretty crappy in certain places in the house, so using the power cables as transmission medium works for me. At certain points in the house I get 230MB/s. You also get powerline devices that has WiFi built into them. I would buy a starter kit like that and give it a try if I were you.
    Thanks. Will have a look.

I have an IEEE 802.11n network using WDS (router and a range extender) which works wonders for me so far (the upgrade from a standalone 802.11g provided a significant footprint increase) - I use it for internet access sharing and cannot comment on bandwidth hungry applications such as video streaming. I have also seen the Powerline communication products rpm mentioned, but I have never tested them - the ones I saw used 200Mbps wired technology, but I think it is on a shared medium (compare your wirelines to an old hub).

I would also like to get more information on the current Smart Village products (I know they also have infrastructure in Heritage Hill) from a customer perspective. Last year when I read hellopeter comments they were mostly negative: people watching rugby and then losing TV signal, people being offline for more than 2 weeks, people not getting feedback on requests, bad administration...

Powerline. Now that is something I've never heard of... Played around on google a bit but could not find anything that breaks it down into layman's terms. What exactly is it and how does it work?
    Will search the forum as well.

EDIT: Search helped me. Thanks.

TP-LINK 500Mbps Gigabit Powerline Adapter TL-PA511 turns your existing powerline into a high speed network with no need for new wires or drilling. No configuration is required, simply plug your adapters into your power sockets and you can establish networking infrastructure in a flash. With a speed of up to 500Mbps, TL-PA511 transmits multiple HD streams and even 3D movies to every room, making it a great choice for an easy to build multimedia entertainment network.

Up to 500Mbps, 300 Meters

With advanced HomePlug AV technology, TL-PA511 provides users with stable, high-speed data transfer rates of up to 500Mbps on a line length of up to 300 meters. Together with its built-in Qos and powerful AES encryption, the TL-PA511 is a great choice for a whole home solution to connect all network compatible devices--from computers and game consoles to set-top boxes for IPTV to printers and NAS hard drives.
    Multiple HD Streams

Up to 500Mbps powerline speed and Gigabit Ethernet speed, ensures the smooth multiple HD streams transmission.
    Reduce Power Consumption Up to 85%

The TL-PA511, a new-generation Powerline Adapter, with its practical design and sophisticated Power-Saving Mode consumes less power when compared with existing Powerline Adapters. When there is no data transmission or reception occurs over a certain period of time, it will automatically switch from its regular "Working" Mode to "Power-Saving" Mode that will reduce its energy consumption by up to 85%*.
    *Actual data will vary because of the network conditions and environmental factors.
    Pair Button for Easy Network Security
    Simply by pushing the Pair button on the adapters, users can set up a hassle-free Powerline network within minutes, complete with 128-bit AES encryption for network security and data protection.
    It's that simple!
    1. Plug the adapter into the power outlet
    2. Connect the device via the network cable to the adapter
    3. Press the encryption buttons—and you're done!
    Support QoS for Advanced Multiple-media Optimization

Quality of Service (QoS) function prioritizes the bandwidth requirements of data traffic. Users can choose which type of traffic they will use -- Internet, Online Game, and Audio or Video, Voice over IP, and the QoS functions will guarantee clear, instant reproduction of that application, even when other applications are running on the network at the same time.
    http://www.tp-link.com/common/subjec...A511/?siteid=3

Here is the Powerline Adapter that is also WIFI. I buy most of my TP-Link kit from these guys.

http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.ph...roducts_id=831

Thanks all. SV's pricing plan seems to rip you a new one. For less than the price of a 8Mbps line and 10GB of data I can get a LTE modem from Vodacom on their special. Since I have LTE coverage at home (according to the map) I reckon this is the way to go -Vodacom modem + TP-LINK MR3420 3G/4G WIRELESS N ROUTER (http://www.dbg.co.za/product_info.ph...roducts_id=423) and maybe some powerline stuffs. Your thoughts? How accurate are those coverage maps?

When I went the 8ta route, I got a loaner modem and SIM card from Nashua Mobile in Midrand. Tested it for a night and then signed up. I would say that is your best bet, to get a loaner unit and test it at your pozzie. The rest of the stuf on your shopping list would work. I also went with a directional antennae, similar to this:

http://www.poyntingcommercial.com/di...=55#prodlist=3

That and the MR3420 I bought from Poyntings, but I don't see the TP-Link stuff on their website anymore. What I liked about Poyntings is the fact that you could start with the cheapest antennae, and if it does not work for you, you could take it back and swop it for another, more expensive and higher specked one.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Farquart View Post
    When I went the 8ta route, I got a loaner modem and SIM card from Nashua Mobile in Midrand. Tested it for a night and then signed up. I would say that is your best bet, to get a loaner unit and test it at your pozzie.
    I wouldn't say that people living in Midstream Estates have "pozzies"...haha!