Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: SWIFT code for Absa card?

Super Grandmaster DrJohnZoidberg's Avatar

Default SWIFT code for Absa card?

Hi all,

Does anybody know what SWIFT code is needed for someone overseas to be able to send money to an Absa credit card?
    Praise Zeus!

Quote Originally Posted by Superspeed View Post

There are apparently 22 different SWIFT codes for ABSA, none of them say Card Division though. I am not sure which one to use. I ended up giving the person the one listed on the ABSA site, have no idea if it will work for credit cards though - will have to wait and see.
    Praise Zeus!

You can send money to a credit card? AFAIK you can only refund a card if you're a merchant.

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Chief View Post
    You can send money to a credit card? AFAIK you can only refund a card if you're a merchant.
    Well I "send" money to my credit card all the time otherwise how would I ever pay off any debt? As to how it works internationally I have no idea, but have given the person another account to pay the money in to in case they have trouble paying it in, then I will just transfer the money to the card from my side.
    Praise Zeus!

ABSAZAJJ
    CONFACIMUS NAVEGEMUS!!!!

A SWIFT code will not identify an individual account so you'd have to rely on the ref to specify it. That in turn assumes that their SWIFT system is set up to recognize this, which I doubt since pretty much all payments to CCs will go through ZA clearing.

Long story short: You'll likely end up chasing after ABSA endlessly to get them to allocate it to the CC.

Reminds me of the time a Tuks finance lady showed me a listing of incoming payments. People send thousands of Rands and then give the reference such as "study fees" or "payment" and then lose their sht when it isn't allocated to their student account.

Quote Originally Posted by Aquadyne View Post
    ABSAZAJJ
    ...Absa capital brokers.
    Man walks down the street in that hat, people know he's not afraid of anything.

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    Well I "send" money to my credit card all the time otherwise how would I ever pay off any debt? As to how it works internationally I have no idea, but have given the person another account to pay the money in to in case they have trouble paying it in, then I will just transfer the money to the card from my side.
    Internal transfers and repayments are different to external or incoming payments, especially international ones. It's just a strange thing to do to have someone else send money to your card. Usually you get people to wire you money to your cheque/savings account. I guess it may be possible but it's an atypical thing to do. You may as well ask the people to send money to your home loan or car loan.

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post

...Absa capital brokers.
    No Dude, ABSAZAJJ is the correct code.

SWIFT code is a standard format of Bank Identifier Codes (BIC) and it is unique identification code for a particular bank.
    These codes are used when transferring money between banks, particularly for international wire transfers. Banks also used the codes for exchanging other messages between them.
    The SWIFT code consists of 8 or 11 characters. When 8-digits code is given, it refers to the primary office.
    First 4 characters - bank code (only letters)
    Next 2 characters - ISO 3166-1 alpha-2 country code (only letters)
    Next 2 characters - location code (letters and digits) (passive participant will have "1" in the second character)
    Last 3 characters - branch code, optional ('XXX' for primary office) (letters and digits)
    http://www.theswiftcodes.com/south-africa/

Major South African Banks SWIFT Codes

ABSA SWIFT Code ABSAZAJJ
    FNB SWIFT Code FIRNZAJJ
    Standard Bank SWIFT Code SBZAZAJJ
    Nedbank SWIFT Code NEDSZAJj
    Capitec SWIFT Code The foreign bank must use the Nedbank SWIFT code (NEDSZAJJ) in the "Receiver" and "Intermediary Institution" fields and Capitec Bank's SWIFT code (CABLZAJJ) in the "Account With" field to reduce the risk of delayed and lost payments

It is also stated quite clearly on the ABSA website..

http://www.absa.co.za/Absacoza/Indiv...-Fund-Transfer

Think I'm just going to ask the person to send it to my FNB account first, then I'll do the transfer. Don't have time to spend with ABSA, I know their style - that's why I left them.

Thanks for all the input.
    Praise Zeus!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Space_Chief View Post
    Internal transfers and repayments are different to external or incoming payments, especially international ones. It's just a strange thing to do to have someone else send money to your card. Usually you get people to wire you money to your cheque/savings account. I guess it may be possible but it's an atypical thing to do. You may as well ask the people to send money to your home loan or car loan.
    It is a card. Linked to an account ... and one can SWIFT money into any account from what I've seen. I EFT money into other people's credit cards all the time without much hassle. Why can't you send money to a home loan? Ever heard of eg. an access bond etc? You can withdraw and deposit money into it at 'will'. If you can deposit money into it anyone from all over the world should be able to SWIFT money into it.

Car loan could also be paid like this if the correct references are used imo...
    ic's back, back again . . .