Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: NDINL -> Btech/ BSc

Quote Originally Posted by DrewChan View Post
    Thanks everyone for replies - seems like I messed up taking on NDINL over Bsc - oh well can't go back now - works paying
    I don't think you have unless you are struggling with it. Most companies see it as a huge bonus if you have both as it shows you pragmatic and combo with working while studying you will have experience. 2ndly when I went to varsity what I learnt in 1 year, the varsity guys learnt over 2 years with more calculus but less practicality which was fascinating as i knew hwere it was going, how to use it while they got the as new material but without as much practical.

In the end I can do more things while still appreciate the theory side compared to the graduate trap of struggling to go from varsity work to actual, like a analysis paralysis with prac work.

Like I said, it works if you don't take it easy.. I know people at tech who struggled to complete/didn't complete and end up doing project management etc. but are limited within company due to graduate options for promotions up the order.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Failure is not an option Otherwise I pay money for course-

NDINL -> BTech -> MTech -> DTech
    BSc -> Honours -> Masters -> Doctorate

It's all the same thing at the end of the day just with different focus. National Diplomas and BTech's seem more practical where BSc and Honours are more theoretical. Personally I'd hire someone with an NDINL over a BSc anyday just because NDINL students get more practical experience that is actually useful rather than that of a BSc student.

Busy with my BTech now and definitely worth it Employers love BTech!

Thanks vampire - makes me feel like i'm not completely wasting my time - although I'll only be done at 31 with Diploma - damn you age

Thanks vampire - makes me feel like i'm not completely wasting my time - although I'll only be done at 31 with Diploma - damn you age
    Well it's never to late to start. 31 is still pretty young compared to people I know who only got there at 40, 50, 60 etc. Don't let age be a deciding factor for you. Learning is a lifelong quest imho.
    entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Well it's never to late to start. 31 is still pretty young compared to people I know who only got there at 40, 50, 60 etc. Don't let age be a deciding factor for you. Learning is a lifelong quest imho.
    Agree completely - and even if you do extra learning in your spare time and apply for a job at least if they see you are looking to get qualified at least that's points in your favour.

Well luckily I have a pretty straight path to follow - company will theoretically employ me into a new position shortly after completing course. From there hoping they'll pay for SAP developement training

Well luckily I have a pretty straight path to follow - company will theoretically employ me into a new position shortly after completing course. From there hoping they'll pay for SAP developement training
    A friend of mine was doing SAP stuff, it's pretty broad and you can follow almost any career path within SAP.
    Also I wanted to cry for him when I saw his SAP textbooks but it pays well when you have some SAP experience.

Go for it and don't let anyone get you down. It's always commendable when someone is willing to work to better themselves and advance themselves in their career.

Thanks for the morale boost ^^vampire^^ - those SAP courses are privey 100k+ - but yeah the pay tremendously well

Quote Originally Posted by Picard View Post
    Nope. Not in South Africa. Maybe in the USA they think like this but only before they got bogged down in their credit crunch.

These days it's not what your country can do for you, but rather what you can do for your country.
    Well I switched jobs twice in the last 24 months and went for dozens of interviews. Sure the market has changed but at all the prospective jobs I found that not a single employer cared what it was that I was studying.

I only found that ignorant agencies and corporates demand very specific skills / majors yet where always off target to what they actually required.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Quote Originally Posted by ^^vampire^^ View Post
    NDINL -> BTech -> MTech -> DTech
    BSc -> Honours -> Masters -> Doctorate

It's all the same thing at the end of the day just with different focus. National Diplomas and BTech's seem more practical where BSc and Honours are more theoretical. Personally I'd hire someone with an NDINL over a BSc anyday just because NDINL students get more practical experience that is actually useful rather than that of a BSc student.

Busy with my BTech now and definitely worth it Employers love BTech!
    +1

Agree, 31 is nothing as I'm 38. Also you will find that after you have passed the half-way mark, employers start considering you as a graduate. I found that once I got to that point, people took me more serious.

Also I'm finding that my degree is only going to become of real importance in my 40s when I start taking on more senior role. Currently my skills allow me another 2-3 years of growth in the industry before I hit the ceiling, then my degree carries me.
    Character is how you treat those that can do nothing for you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12