Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: No phone tapping without a court order!

Legal Expert: Internet

Thumbs up No phone tapping without a court order!

Hi all,

This is good news. At least our RIC Act does not give the President powers to intercept our communications without a court order...

http://www.cnn.com/2006/POLITICS/08/...uit/index.html

"A federal US judge on Thursday ruled that the U.S. government's domestic eavesdropping program is unconstitutional and ordered it ended immediately.

In a 44-page memorandum and order, U.S. District Judge Anna Diggs Taylor struck down the NSA program, which she said violates the rights to free speech and privacy. (Read the complete ruling: http://i.a.cnn.net/cnn/2006/images/0...sa.lawsuit.pdf

Regards,

Reinhardt Buys
    Reinhardt Buys

That is indeed great news - however they will appeal. I can see this one going right to the top.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Actually, I think we're worse off. This case is just an example of the healthy functioning of America's democratic system, and the system of checks and balances against government power. It doesn't matter if this decision is overturned by the Supreme Court (I happen to think the program's illegality is still up for debate), because the process is working correctly.

RICA's just terrible though. Sure, it requires a judge to sign a warrant for each surveillance order, but the important bit is that the judge in question is a retired judge who is re-appointed at the sole discretion of a cabinet minister and sits in a secret court. What this means, in effect, is that the Minister of Intelligence can just hire a political sycophant who will do whatever the government wants, or risk being fired. Coupled to our rubber-stamp parliament and pathetic oversight, it effectively means that the government is more or less unrestrained in its ability to spy on us.

Give me the US system any day.