Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast

Thread: HTC One in South Africa: operators respond

Default HTC One in South Africa: operators respond

HTC One in South Africa: operators respond

Vodacom, Virgin Mobile, and Cell C answered questions about whether they will offer HTCs new flagship Android device

Very nice device. My first choice phone however remains the Sony Xperia Z. Sony got it right ... at last.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

What will the cash prices be on these phones (One and Xperia Z)?

Quote Originally Posted by dougatthewoods View Post
    What will the cash prices be on these phones (One and Xperia Z)?
    Expect R7500-ish.
    What you do is your history. What you set in motion is your legacy. - Leonard Sweet

Quote Originally Posted by BeVonk! View Post
    Expect R7500-ish.
    For the Z that is believable. I've heard the One is going to be really expensive...

Samsung has a tight grip on the Android phone market - and they back that up with decent service and quicker-to-market Android updates. It will be very tough for competitors to beat them. Samsung will have to make a major mistake (epic fail product) to give away market share ... no matter how good the competitors are. I love the new Sony, but to compete with the highly anticipated S4 is another story.

Quote Originally Posted by dougatthewoods View Post
    For the Z that is believable. I've heard the One is going to be really expensive...
    Well, then HTC will pay the price ... They cannot afford to come in much higher than their competitors. The Galaxy S series is the standard for Android phones. Charging more that Samsung is looking for trouble no matter how much more you offer.

Super Grandmaster

Samsung has a tight grip on the Android phone market - and they back that up with decent service and quicker-to-market Android updates. It will be very tough for competitors to beat them. Samsung will have to make a major mistake (epic fail product) to give away market share ... no matter how good the competitors are. I love the new Sony, but to compete with the highly anticipated S4 is another story.
    By all account updates are all that for the average garden gnome Android user. Most are happy to keep the version that came with the phone forever.
    "The night is dark and full of turnips"

Well the S4 is due to be announced next month so let's see how it stacks up against the HTC One?

On the retail price, we'll let you know a Rand price when we have it.

Quote Originally Posted by HTC SA View Post
    Well the S4 is due to be announced next month so let's see how it stacks up against the HTC One?

On the retail price, we'll let you know a Rand price when we have it.
    The thing is: No matter how well it stacks up to the S4 consumers must get hit from another angle for HTC to make inroads. A direct spec confrontation will not win HTC favour even when it is much better. The Galaxy S series has achieved iconic status - like the iPhone - and people will go for that unless HTC comes with some very clever marketing over and above superior specs. Price, for one will be important. Else HTC will have to somehow convince the status sensitive consumers that its device is the one that WILL differentiate them from the masses (Galaxy S users). Sony's Xperia Z is standing out as such a candidate for me. It radiates class.

Very nice device. My first choice phone however remains the Sony Xperia Z. Sony got it right ... at last.
    For Sony to get it right would be a proper specked Xperia Play 2 with proper battery life. Kind of stupid to sit on one of the best names ever for mobile phones and not doing anything about it.

The thing is: No matter how well it stacks up to the S4 consumers must get hit from another angle for HTC to make inroads. A direct spec confrontation will not win HTC favour even when it is much better. The Galaxy S series has achieved iconic status - like the iPhone - and people will go for that unless HTC comes with some very clever marketing over and above superior specs. Price, for one will be important. Else HTC will have to somehow convince the status sensitive consumers that its device is the one that WILL differentiate them from the masses (Galaxy S users). Sony's Xperia Z is standing out as such a candidate for me. It radiates class.
    There's not doubt that that Samsung has a great brand and marketing spend to back it.

Still HTC has innovated with the first fully metal phone. Its enough to make any iPhone user drool HTC's also innovated with some of the features on the phone too and there is a new version of Sense.

If you compare the two phones spec wise they are really similar although the HTC One has a Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait 300 vs the Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait from the Xperia Z. Oh and does the Xperia have stereo speakers?

UI will play a large factor and Sense is very competitive in that area.

I still love HTC. Just cannot love the plastic feel of Samsung.

Just sad as I ordered my HTC One X+ the other day (still awaiting delivery) and now this one is announced

My phone is old already!

Quote Originally Posted by HTC SA View Post
    There's not doubt that that Samsung has a great brand and marketing spend to back it.

Still HTC has innovated with the first fully metal phone. Its enough to make any iPhone user drool HTC's also innovated with some of the features on the phone too and there is a new version of Sense.

If you compare the two phones spec wise they are really similar although the HTC One has a Quad-core 1.7 GHz Krait 300 vs the Quad-core 1.5 GHz Krait from the Xperia Z. Oh and does the Xperia have stereo speakers?

UI will play a large factor and Sense is very competitive in that area.
    If HTC can overcome 3 issues they might see me again.

1. Battery life - both my HTC Desire and Desire HD had the worse battery life I can remember. Do not dare using the phone or its charge will not last a full day.
    2. Customer care. (At least they starting with this one by you being here) but I have heard way to many horror stories back in the leaf days to go this route lightly, and I need to see more like actual branches in maybe the main cities.
    3. Also I had some hardware issues on both my previous HTC phones. HTC Desire suffered from a boot loop after the 1st year, Googling the issue showed that it was a manufacturer problem as loads of people got this. and my HTC Desire HD decided to go all wonky and display bright color lines horizontal over the screen in the 1st year.

Shads. We've used the One X+. It is an outstanding phone. You won't be disappointed!

Page 1 of 4 1 234 LastLast