Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Telkom's new "soft Cap"

Angry Telkom's new "soft Cap"

When Telkom announced their new “soft cap” policy there was much jubilation, they said that you would
    get a reduced speed but would still be able to browse.

What a joke, I hit the “soft Cap” last night, I noticed that I could do pretty much bugger-all. No pop3 mail,
    no browsing, nothing, all you get is a stupid Telkom redirection that tells you “ you have reached this
    page because you have hit the soft cap limit….click here for options.

Clicking here...takes you to a page where you can buy a top up…

I thought perhaps once you get the “information page” that it would store a cookie and the next attempt
    would get you to google.co.za at the reduced speed.
    All you get is the redirection page..

Why did Telskum bother with all the announcements, all they have done now is cap your account and give
    you the option to buy top up while you are capped.

…and here we thought Telskum were doing something good for a change….they are still the same morons..

Quote Originally Posted by Phaff View Post
    …and here we thought Telskum were doing something good for a change….they are still the same morons..
    I must reward you an "A" for positivity in thinking Telscum would actually offer something of use. However, you also get an "F" for failing to learn from the past.

Quote Originally Posted by Phaff View Post
    When Telkom announced their new “soft cap” policy there was much jubilation, they said that you would
    get a reduced speed but would still be able to browse.

What a joke, I hit the “soft Cap” last night, I noticed that I could do pretty much bugger-all. No pop3 mail,
    no browsing, nothing, all you get is a stupid Telkom redirection that tells you “ you have reached this
    page because you have hit the soft cap limit….click here for options.

Clicking here...takes you to a page where you can buy a top up…
    There should be an option called 'Soft-cap' in the tools menu on the left (not the way it was specced :-().

I don't have an account to test with that is currently capped, and am not near an ADSL line to cap it, and don't have the tools with me right now to fake cap it ... so I can't see if it is there.

PM me your username, and I will set you on soft cap.

Previously, when the application you are now redirected to was definitely not ready, we were auto-softcapping users (but that has its own problems, as users then complain that their line is slow, since they weren't informed and didn't know to check on tracker). If the application isn't working, we will enable auto-softcap again ....

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    I don't have an account to test with that is currently capped, and am not near an ADSL line to cap it, and don't have the tools with me right now to fake cap it ... so I can't see if it is there.
    Strange as my soft-capped account works great for browsing etc (on it now):

Name:  TI_Tracker.png
Views: 3208
Size:  16.6 KB

@ranger - what is the significance of:

Out-of-bundle 0.0 MB (limit 40.0 GB) ?

Funny TI-Tracker doesn't report I'm soft-capped but speedtest proves I am:

Test conducted on Thu 28 Feb 2013 09:56:51 AM SAST

Download Speed: 316 kbps (39.5 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Upload Speed: 480 kbps (60 KB/sec transfer rate)
    Latency: 78 ms
    Last edited by MickZA; 28-02-2013 at 09:58 AM. Reason: added speedtest

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by rakabos3 View Post
    People still use Telkom ????? o_O
    Extensively - without problems.

My Telkom account has been capped. When I log into the tracker tool, there is no soft cap option to choose, only "Topup", "Post-paid" and "Do Support Plus". Is there an alternative method to activate the soft cap?

Quote Originally Posted by MickZA View Post
    Strange as my soft-capped account works great for browsing etc (on it now):

Name:  TI_Tracker.png
Views: 3208
Size:  16.6 KB

@ranger - what is the significance of:

Out-of-bundle 0.0 MB (limit 40.0 GB) ?

Funny TI-Tracker doesn't report I'm soft-capped but speedtest proves I am:
    Yes, I noticed that too now, have reported to the developers ....

Quote Originally Posted by Swirl View Post
    My Telkom account has been capped. When I log into the tracker tool, there is no soft cap option to choose, only "Topup", "Post-paid" and "Do Support Plus". Is there an alternative method to activate the soft cap?
    For now, PM me your username while we find out what the developers want us to do (whether they will fix it *now*, or whether we must work around).

For now, PM me your username while we find out what the developers want us to do (whether they will fix it *now*, or whether we must work around).
    Sent you a PM.

Quote Originally Posted by rakabos3 View Post
    People still use Telkom ????? o_O

...actually.....they are still the better devil to know than the ones we don’t know...
    I setup a dual PPP connection on my router a while ago, sending work stuff via Telkom and private stuff via Afrihost which was great until Afrihost moved to MTN.....

In the end the physical connection is still to Telkom’s DSLAM, may as well get the virtual connection from them too..

Think its loosely referred to as monopolychoice....

There should be an option called 'Soft-cap' in the tools menu on the left (not the way it was specced :-().

PM me your username, and I will set you on soft cap.

Previously, when the application you are now redirected to was definitely not ready, we were auto-softcapping users (but that has its own problems, as users then complain that their line is slow, since they weren't informed and didn't know to check on tracker). If the application isn't working, we will enable auto-softcap again ....
    Thanks Ranger, I see my machine at home is online again..

We have re-enabled auto-softcap (with its problems). I am not near an ADSL line at present, so I can't test personally that it works correctly though.

Arrow Finite is not a word known to the SA Gov -- or Competent -- or Optimal

We have re-enabled auto-softcap (with its problems).
    I am not near an ADSL line at present, so I can't test personally that it works correctly though.
    Sterkte Boet

Here is a little bit of juicy scandal

Some Gov department wanted to implement a CMS
    They got in some advice -- some developer ( who likes doing Gov tenders -- like eNATIS ) quoted FIFTY MILLION
    Some bright guy from a certain SA University got the go ahead and did it for ..........??????

FREE

Use your imagination to flesh out the character cast

I feel your pain !

Telkom is so crap even my 20GB account that did not even do 1MB for the month is now on softcap.
    I cant wait to cancel it

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast