Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: LCD - please help me choose one

Default LCD - please help me choose one

I'm lookin to buy a LCD monitor.

I have 2 in mind:

The LG 19" Ultra Slim. Model nr: L1970HR:

http://za.lge.com/md/product/prodcat...1=&isFirst=ok#

OR

The Acer Turbo Gaming - 19". Model nr AL1951Cs

http://www.acer.co.za/acereuro/page4...crc=1905171002

I'm going to use it for gaming mostly, if you have something better in mind in the same price range post it here

Blog Entries

look which one has a better reponse time, compare that to the prices, and then make your choice.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

Not sure what the prices are for those monitors are, but I have a 20" Apple Cinema Display and must recommend it to anyone looking for a good LCD

Blog Entries

Before listening to jstike (even though the monitor he suggests is pretty awsome), it may not be for gaming, and might have a slow response time.

Its also really pricey. I have never known MAC to be anything special in gaming, so I would take a very careful look at its reponse times.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    look which one has a better reponse time, compare that to the prices, and then make your choice.
    The LG has a 2ms and the acer 4ms

It is so close that's why i'm bothered about the other specs as well.

Best to listen to w1z4d here. Last game I played was was in the mid 90's

The one with the faster response time is better for gaming...
    Although with any response time equal to or lower than 8ms, you'll hardly notice the difference

Quote Originally Posted by Peppercorns View Post
    The one with the faster response time is better for gaming...
    Although with any response time equal to or lower than 8ms, you'll hardly notice the difference
    Agreed!
    If anyone can notice any difference between 8ms, 5ms, 4ms or 2ms, then I strongly suggest they investigate a career that utilises super-human-seeing-abilities.
    Quite honestly IMO, save yourself some cash and get a quality 8ms screen.
    IMO it's money down the toilet shelling out for ultra-fast response times.
    E2180@3.0GHz 1.425v / Hyper TX2 / 4x1GB DDR2 667 / 7900gt@625/1700 (1.4v) VF900Cu / 19" LCD / Raidmax Sagitta (500W Modular) / Seagate 250GB 16mb / P5N-E SLI

I say anything lower than 16ms is good. Hmmm...someone who is not looking at getting a widescreen LCD, rare lol...seems everyone wants a widescreen these days

One thing you might want to note is the Acer has crystalbrite...if you gonna be doing office work i would recommend against it!

Super Grandmaster

The LG 19" Ultra Slim. Model nr: L1970HR:
    i have one at work it's a great lcd (never choose acer to many come backs)
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL I have the exact same lava lamp

Bottom Line:
    With a super-fast pixel-response rating and a stylish design, the 19-inch LG L1970HR display works better for gaming than for lengthy Word docs.
    Pros:
    Lightning-fast pixel response. Bright, vivid colors. Great gaming performance.
    Cons:
    Weak grayscale performance. Has trouble displaying small text.

Source: PCmag.com
    E2180@3.0GHz 1.425v / Hyper TX2 / 4x1GB DDR2 667 / 7900gt@625/1700 (1.4v) VF900Cu / 19" LCD / Raidmax Sagitta (500W Modular) / Seagate 250GB 16mb / P5N-E SLI

...doesn't know

acer all the way bro... they cheap and dam good....

#1: response times nowadays are virtually meaningless. 99% of them are not correct (PR bullsheeeet) and they hardly ever tell you WHAT they are measuring...ie. GTG, average, best etc.
    #2: better indications are brightness and contrast ratio, and better yet the panel type (PVA, IPS, S/M-PVA, S-IPS etc.)
    #3: reviews are very useful, in particular the subjective parts, ie. how the LCD is in actual use as opposed to what the useless printed spec sheet it comes with tells you
    #4: if you can, go to a shop/distributor/friend which has them and try them out...nothing worse than buying blind (literally!)
    #5: DVI, DVI and DVI. I still don't see much point getting a digital display such as an LCD and using an analog signal. Even if you don't have DVI output now, rather have that option for futureproofing. That said though I see both your choices have them.

Oh, and if you use it purely for gaming and thus want that uber-low response time you can get a BenQ FP93GX monitor for around R2.8k which is also a 2ms rated monitor with good gaming reviews; as well as the Samsung 940BF which is very nice indeed IMO. Otherwise, I would opt for the LG for sure.

Oh an one last comment to bear in mind - I always try suggest going either for 17" or 20", not 19". The reason: 19" and 17" have the same native res....pixels are just larger in the 19". Once you jump to 20" (wide or not) it's another ballgame. Only around 7% more physical size, but around 35% more pixels! Makes a beeeg difference.

X

Super Grandmaster

what about a 21" xenithon?
    Quote Originally Posted by dualmeister View Post
    LOL I have the exact same lava lamp

If you can swing a 21" then that is great too. Since there are so many more pixels, something like a 20.1" and 21" are very similar....you'll never tell a difference in pixel size (unlike 17" vs. 19" where it is noticeable). 22" is ok, but a bit of a stretch IMO....the next step up would be 23" or 24" which are generally always wide, where the res jumps up another notch to 1920x1200.

X

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast