Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

View Poll Results: Is it a basic human right to smoke?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Most definately

37 64.91%
  • No it is not

17 29.82%
  • Not sure

3 5.26%
Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast

Thread: Smokers cost SA business billions

"Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

Super Grandmaster

Maybe the high absenteeism can be attributed to crappy employers and work environments...

I wonder what the absentee rate is like at the Top 10 "Best companies to work for"

What the mind can conceive, it can achieve.

Maybe people smoke to cope with the stress of the said crappy work environment and could'nt give a rats arse what Discovery health thinks.
    In the 4 years that I've been with the current company I've only taken 1 sick day and that was from a stomach bug, I made up the day I was off sick by working on the Saturday.

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

I have a great work enviro - i still smoke, often with the big cheese.....yet to miss a day because of smoking....Besides...screwing a corporate company is a workers right because they will be screwing us for years to come.....

Pure BS !
    When everyone has a public voice, we see how many people just don't have anything interesting to communicate
    Sportslinks

If smoking isnt unhealthy and isnt costing companies money then what would the have to gain by saying it is?
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

There is no change you die of smoking in SA, some dum mother f$cker will blow your brains out before cancer has any chance.

Quote Originally Posted by mynaamis View Post
    There is no change you die of smoking in SA, some dum mother f$cker will blow your brains out before cancer has any chance.
    and then steal your smokes too

thats just low.
    Ron White was right

Quote Originally Posted by bwana v.15 View Post
    and then steal your smokes too
    LOL - well put, but sadly probably only too true!
    Pip is a Politically incorrect person

Super Grandmaster

If smoking isnt unhealthy and isnt costing companies money then what would the have to gain by saying it is?
    More importantly what's next? What other hazard or alleged hazard is going to be deemed a problem?

In which scientific journal has this research into the alleged costs due to smokers been published?

I've personally not seen higher absenteeism or lower productivity amongst the people who smoke.

And remember those who do smoke contribute a significant amount in taxes for the privilege.

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    More importantly what's next? What other hazard or alleged hazard is going to be deemed a problem?

In which scientific journal has this research into the alleged costs due to smokers been published?

I've personally not seen higher absenteeism or lower productivity amongst the people who smoke.

And remember those who do smoke contribute a significant amount in taxes for the privilege.
    Is it your contention that smoking doesnt lead to illness and that the cost of that isnt carried by someone?
    Ron White was right

All company's ultimate aim is to keep the shareholders happy.
    1. The company aims to pay as little as possible for as much work as possible.
    2. All employee's ultimate aim is to do as little work as possible for as much money as possible.
    Now tell me that I should stop smoking because it's decreasing the profits of the company that I work for. :P

Quote Originally Posted by neio View Post
    All company's ultimate aim is to keep the shareholders happy.
    1. The company aims to pay as little as possible for as much work as possible.
    2. All employee's ultimate aim is to do as little work as possible for as much money as possible.
    Now tell me that I should stop smoking because it's decreasing the profits of the company that I work for. :P
    But should an employer pay or contribute to your medical insurance if you're knowingly damaging your health? Much like life insurers not wanting to insure extreme sports enthusiasts.

BTW - just so its clear I'm not anti-smoking - just saw the article this morning and felt like kicking the hornets nest today
    Ron White was right

Smoking is an extension of eating - the nicotine bit of daily nutrition intake. Other forms of eating also cause absenteeism - try that prawn curry at Joe's Curry Tavern if you don't agree! If smoking causes illness who is carrying the cost except me? Manto certainly ain't! The only sickness I ever get is flu, which is hardly caused by Texans!
    Pip is a Politically incorrect person

Lets list all the things in the world that is bad for your health shall we.
    The most prominent would probably be a stressfull work environment, that is seriously detrimental to your health seeing as it causes heart attacks and migranes. The people who do this kind of research should really get a frikken life. That's why Im going on walkabout for a year. To aim for something higher than where I currently am.

Super Grandmaster

Is it your contention that smoking doesnt lead to illness and that the cost of that isnt carried by someone?
    Firstly research like this is not as easy to carry out as it might at first seem.

How many companies were surveyed?
    What are the working conditions?
    What is the incidence of smoking at each company?
    Are smokers off sick more often at every company? If not, why not?
    Are smokers less productive when they are at work? If they're more productive does this counter the cost of their added sick days?
    Are smokers less likely to exercise? Are the ones that do exercise off sick more often than non-smokers?
    Are smokers more likely to have a generally unhealthy lifestyle? How often are non-exercising non-smokers off sick?

It is possible for instance for the results of a study like this to be skewed by some companies having a higher percentage of smokers than average and that might be symptomatic of something, for instance perhaps it is a poor work environment or high stress. Then we suddenly have to consider that maybe its not the smoking, but something else.

Unless it is being published in an established, peer-reviewed journal I am going to doubt the rigor of the research.

Also this report jumps from talking about smokers to talking about absenteeism in general and what it costs. The implication is to blame all this on smoking.

Smoking is established to be harmful, but smokers do pay extra taxes. So outside the work environment we are not entitled to point fingers at them for added medical costs.

There is no such thing as medical insurance in South Africa anymore, unless you already had a policy before they were outlawed. Even if there were nothing stops a company from paying only the amount a non-smoker would pay. Similarly for medical aid.

It seems odd that at every company where I have worked the people that smoked were almost never off sick. And did not appear to be off more than non-smokers.

And I still have to wonder what's next? Will the next thing be something with merely tenuous alleged health implications?

Page 1 of 5 1 2345 LastLast