Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New Geyser - Low Water Pressure

Default New Geyser - Low Water Pressure

Hi Guys,

I have a bit a problem. I recently bought a house. The house is approx 38 years old. We redid one bathroom and then realized that the warm water pressure is too low. On recommendation of the plumber we replaced the old 100kpa geyser with a Franke 150l 400kpa geyser. The geyser has three overflows (drain pan, security valve and pressure valve). After installation, we had the problem that the pressure valve shot out (not only drip) water every time we opened warm and cold in the shower (or any other tap). The plumbers then said that the problem is the immensely high cold water pressure in the area. He said the cold water is pushing back the hot water and that causes the pressure valve to overflow. They then removed the pressure valve out of the ceiling and put it in the garden after the meter. The setup is now municipal tap, meter, my tap, pressure valve. Now the whole house is balanced on 400kpa (its a 400kpa pressure valve), however when I want to water my garden its impractical as 400kpa is too low for a 30m hose pipe. I don't know what else to do. Do you guys have any idea?

Regards,

Florian

Would be nice if u can draw a FIG showing how the valve are placed.

Grandmaster

Why not just put the pressure valve on the cold water inlet of the geyser, instead of the whole household...
    Regards,
    Chris.
    - NextGenNews, NNTP re-invented -
    South Africa's first commercial NNTP Service Provider

Quote Originally Posted by DTBA View Post
    Would be nice if u can draw a FIG showing how the valve are placed.
    As mentioned above its basically: Road - Pipe - Municipal tap - Pipe - Meter - Pipe - My Tap - Pipe - Valve - Pipe - House

Hope that helps.

Quote Originally Posted by savage View Post
    Why not just put the pressure valve on the cold water inlet of the geyser, instead of the whole household...
    Thats how it has been but then the overflow of the pressure valve shot out water when opening both taps. Don't know why and the plumbers could only think that its the high cold water pressure that pushed back the hot water.

Grandmaster

Is the pressure valve adjustable? Cos it might be set lower than 400kPa. I'd have thought 400kPa would be plenty for a hose.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by fheinrich View Post
    Thats how it has been but then the overflow of the pressure valve shot out water when opening both taps. Don't know why and the plumbers could only think that its the high cold water pressure that pushed back the hot water.
    You should take the cold water for the shower off the low pressure side of the valve too, that way the hot and cold water are coming in at the same pressure. Makes adjusting the temperature of the shower much easier too.

Quote Originally Posted by Colin62 View Post
    Is the pressure valve adjustable? Cos it might be set lower than 400kPa. I'd have thought 400kPa would be plenty for a hose.
    Not sure. It looks similar to the one on the picture.

You don't have much of a choice here. The correct way to connect everything is to run all the hot and cold water taps inside the house from the pressure valve, especially where you have mixer taps e.g. kitchen sink, hand basin or shower - it’s called a balanced system, but since you have an old installation of cold water taps probably fed from various different locations, it won't be easy to feed all the cold water taps inside the house with balanced pressure. You basically have two options: 1) Re-do all the cold water piping to all the mixer taps, move the pressure valve back to the inlet of the geyser and tap the feed to your new cold water piping, to the mixer taps, after the pressure valve in order to get the same pressure on hot and cold water at the mixer taps (balanced system) OR 2) Tap a feed just after the water meter, but before the pressure valve and run this feed to all the taps in your garden where you need to have high pressure – I guess that would be the easier option of the 2. Good luck.
    I suffer from CDO, it's like OCD, but in the correct alphabetical order.

Quote Originally Posted by superdiy View Post
    ...... 2) Tap a feed just after the water meter, but before the pressure valve and run this feed to all the taps in your garden where you need to have high pressure – I guess that would be the easier option of the 2. Good luck.
    Do this. This is what I have to at least one tap in the garden.....

Quote Originally Posted by superdiy View Post
    You don't have much of a choice here. The correct way to connect everything is to run all the hot and cold water taps inside the house from the pressure valve, especially where you have mixer taps e.g. kitchen sink, hand basin or shower - it’s called a balanced system, but since you have an old installation of cold water taps probably fed from various different locations, it won't be easy to feed all the cold water taps inside the house with balanced pressure. You basically have two options: 1) Re-do all the cold water piping to all the mixer taps, move the pressure valve back to the inlet of the geyser and tap the feed to your new cold water piping, to the mixer taps, after the pressure valve in order to get the same pressure on hot and cold water at the mixer taps (balanced system) OR 2) Tap a feed just after the water meter, but before the pressure valve and run this feed to all the taps in your garden where you need to have high pressure – I guess that would be the easier option of the 2. Good luck.
    The 2nd option is probably the best. Will see if someone comes up with another idea. Thanks a lot though.

Quote Originally Posted by fheinrich View Post
    The 2nd option is probably the best. Will see if someone comes up with another idea. Thanks a lot though.
    Well U can add a non-return valve at the geyser outlet(will stop cold water coming in and building pressure)but this should not happen in the first place

Quote Originally Posted by DTBA View Post
    Well U can add a non-return valve at the geyser outlet(will stop cold water coming in and building pressure)but this should not happen in the first place
    By adding a non return valve after the pressure valve would prevent the water from flowing out the pressure valve, but why does the water flow out the pressure valve in the first place? It is because the pressure of the cold water flowing back from the mixer taps to the geyser is too high. If you install a non-return valve on the outlet of the geyser to prevent the (high pressure cold) water from flowing back to the geyser, you will have no hot water flowing from the geyser, because the pressure on the other side of the valve would be too high and the valve would not open. If you install the non-return valve inbetween the geyser and the pressure valve the water pressure inside in your geyser will be too high and the geyser will probably fail (burst) - that is why you have the pressure valve in the first place - to regulate the pressure inside your geyser - either way it is NOT a solution.
    I suffer from CDO, it's like OCD, but in the correct alphabetical order.

Get another Plumber

Quote Originally Posted by ost View Post
    Get another Plumber
    +1

I have an old house too (+50 yrs), and have a solar geyser, so the high pressure relief valve is a necessity. I tried it out directly after the meter, but the pressure was way too low to water the garden. I had it put ahead of the geyser inlet and have been running like that for almost 20 yrs with no problem. Mixer taps are all ahead of the valve and work as expected (2 showers, 2 baths, 2 kitchen mixers). Using a Cobra Masterflo. So I do agree with the previous poster, get another plumber.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast