Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Best Home Thearter Speaker set?

Default Best Home Thearter Speaker set?

Whats is the best home thearter speaker set for under R5000, just bought an LG plasma 42" for R10k

ADSL @ Home 1: 4Meg 100Gig Cap Afrihost
    ADSL @ Home 2: 10Meg 100Gig Cap Afrihost
    Mobile 1: Cell C 200meg pm 3G prepaid
    Mobile 2: Cell C 200meg pm 3G prepaid

Grandmaster

What amp do you have? Is it primarily for tv watching? If you say speaker set, do you mean 5 speakers plus a sub?

Quite honestly, I've battled to beat the Creative Gigaworks when it comes to sound. I know they're PC orientated, but they're 7.1 and knock the socks of any LG / Sony / Samsung etc. system I've heard.

However they might seriously cramp your styling...

(the creatives shoud retail for about R4500 I think)

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...3&product=9306

In fact the only system that I've heard with better sound quality was a really decent B&O system (that stood on pins to reduce resonance) but that system was more than twice as much as your plasma.
    OmniVision Brand Solutions

http://www.omnibrand.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by Carlhead View Post
    Quite honestly, I've battled to beat the Creative Gigaworks when it comes to sound. I know they're PC orientated, but they're 7.1 and knock the socks of any LG / Sony / Samsung etc. system I've heard.

However they might seriously cramp your styling...

(the creatives shoud retail for about R4500 I think)

http://us.creative.com/products/prod...3&product=9306

In fact the only system that I've heard with better sound quality was a really decent B&O system (that stood on pins to reduce resonance) but that system was more than twice as much as your plasma.
    Where did you buy it?

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeSpeed View Post
    Where did you buy it?
    at the whole salers... I think it was around R4k

at the whole salers... I think it was around R4k
    Sahara? I can buy from them through a friend.
    You really think the speakers are worth the money? You can buy a Sony/Panasonic 5.1 system from Furniture City for the same price. I don't care much for max volume (live in a complex) but sound quality is important to me.

Quote Originally Posted by GiveMeSpeed View Post
    Sahara? I can buy from them through a friend.
    You really think the speakers are worth the money? You can buy a Sony/Panasonic 5.1 system from Furniture City for the same price. I don't care much for max volume (live in a complex) but sound quality is important to me.
    wouldn't be able to tell you which is better... I've never heard the Panasonic, but I have put them head to head with a R3k sony set and a R5k LG set and it sounded MUCH better.

If you could get a demo first it would be the best.

Yeah Sahara is the cheapest Creative whole seller that I know of.

Cool, thanks

In that case, you want decent stereo for starters and then move onto something surround if you want to at a later stage. I would recommend these:http://www.soundz.co.za/ProductInfo....oductid=B2031P for most guys starting out with a budget receiver or pre-existing amplifier. In most complexes you'll find fairly live acoustics (more hard reflective surfaces) and these will have a much more balanced midrange presentation and sound miles ahead of the creative or anything in a cheap KEF (so-so) or B&W (which only ever sound listenable in dead roms) could hope for. They are a well built enclosure (i.e. they put money into components and not the looks) and if you can live with the studio monitor looks (and sound) I consider them a steal.

Quote Originally Posted by Timber_MG View Post
    In that case, you want decent stereo for starters and then move onto something surround if you want to at a later stage. I would recommend these:http://www.soundz.co.za/ProductInfo....oductid=B2031P for most guys starting out with a budget receiver or pre-existing amplifier. In most complexes you'll find fairly live acoustics (more hard reflective surfaces) and these will have a much more balanced midrange presentation and sound miles ahead of the creative or anything in a cheap KEF (so-so) or B&W (which only ever sound listenable in dead roms) could hope for. They are a well built enclosure (i.e. they put money into components and not the looks) and if you can live with the studio monitor looks (and sound) I consider them a steal.
    Dude he wants nice sound for his TV, he's not starting a club, LOL... I would rather have cheaper 7.1 surround than top of the range stereo... as he said volume isn't an issue as he lives in a complex.

was comparing the creatives with my Z5500 before i bought the Z5500 for my PC that is, and thought my Z5500 was a better buy, better bass ... the creatives bass did not give you enough "doof" ... i dunno , maybe i will give them another listen, BTW when you bought your creatives did you compare them to the Z5500?

and on the speakers, yes 5.1 or 7.1 ... and yes primarily for movies and the like
    Last edited by adamr; 26-08-2006 at 08:30 AM.

ADSL @ Home 1: 4Meg 100Gig Cap Afrihost
    ADSL @ Home 2: 10Meg 100Gig Cap Afrihost
    Mobile 1: Cell C 200meg pm 3G prepaid
    Mobile 2: Cell C 200meg pm 3G prepaid

Quote Originally Posted by adamr View Post
    was comparing the creatives with my Z5500 before i bought the Z5500 for my PC that is, and thought my Z5500 was a better buy, better bass ... the creatives bass did not give you enough "doof" ... i dunno , maybe i will give them another listen, BTW when you bought your creatives did you compare them to the Z5500?

and on the speakers, yes 5.1 or 7.1 ... and yes primarily for movies and the like
    I would say maybe keep the Z-5500's and then save up and get a proper 5.1 system from say B&W? Unless you dont want to go "over the top". The 5.1 Sets like the Z5500 are pretty good but someting like B&W is in a different league but sadly also in a diffferent price league. The other option is if you like the Z-5500's and also want another set maybe get another set of Z-5500's?

Yea the Z-5500's are uber super cool got a set myself the other day.
    |_0

Banned

get a denon amp woth b&w loudspeakers - or marantz or if you really have to denon speakers... but this will cost more then your lucky goldstar tv

the above does not even compare to the crap everyone thinks is good.

and for the love of God can people stop trying to rate logitech with creative - it is no challenge - creative wins hands down.

logitech CANNOT make speakers.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by adamr View Post
    was comparing the creatives with my Z5500 before i bought the Z5500 for my PC that is, and thought my Z5500 was a better buy, better bass ... the creatives bass did not give you enough "doof" ...
    a better doof?

i cetainly wont use THAT recomendation - incase you dont know you are not meant to hear a subwoofer, you are meant to feel it.

when comparing logitech and creative the logitech subwoofer simply drowns out any form of midrange because their subwoofers are way too powerful for their accompanying speakers. althought they might 'look' cooler they simply crap

bearing in mind you are purchasing PC speakers that are designed for an individual sitting at a desk the logitch fail in that respect - and they can not supply clean and punchy sound for a larger environment because their satelite speakers pack a poor punch compared to their over-emphasised subwoofer.

Creative speakers when plugged into a creative sound card deliver a clean, crisp and powerful sound. Maybe not as loud as the classless logitec

but if you enjoy muddy crappy unrefined sound the logitech is a good buy.

if you want decent sound that delivers a great audio range then buy creative.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast