Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE coming to South Africa

Default Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE coming to South Africa

Samsung Galaxy S4 LTE coming to South Africa

Vodacom has revealed that it will offer the LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy S4

Vodacom LTE does not work so why bother ?
    On the internet you can be anything you want.

It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

Tough decision for people taking 2 year contracts
    Will LTE be mainstream within those 2 years or is it better to go for the non LTE model

Quote Originally Posted by Nimz View Post
    Tough decision for people taking 2 year contracts
    Will LTE be mainstream within those 2 years or is it better to go for the non LTE model
    Can you not force for the phone to use 3g and lower instead of lte?

Quote Originally Posted by Prof.Merlin View Post
    Can you not force for the phone to use 3g and lower instead of lte?
    I'm sure you can, therefore it makes sense to go for the LTE version.
    The only question now is, will Cell C have the LTE version available?

Quote Originally Posted by jes View Post
    Vodacom has revealed that it will offer the LTE version of the Samsung Galaxy S4
    For me LTE is not the important part, works fine on my iPhone 5 but does not provide a stellar difference in performance with VC's limited re-farmed 1800 spectrum. Maybe in time if they get more the difference will become notable.

Rather being able to choose the (Snapdragon) variant which will likely have far better independent developer support is important to me. When Android 5.x KLP comes out (later this year), I'd like to experience it within some reasonable period of time, not Samsung's usual continental drift like update cycles.
    Last edited by Roman4604; 10-04-2013 at 12:47 PM.
    Still here ... FTL drives offline

I don't think the LTE version has the Samsung Exynos 5 Octa but rather the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600.

So personally i'd rather have an 8-core non-LTE version than a quad core LTE enabled version. I say this because, in sa at least, LTE is not only a rip-off but borderline non-existant. Tbh, most people will probably turn LTE off just to save battery.

Grandmaster

At least we're one of the lucky markets that gets the choice, well done Samsung - they really do regard us as one of their more important markets (not to mention that release date which is on track with all their top markets).

I'm definitely going for the power savings on the Octacore, I usually keep my phone on EDGE when I'm out and about so LTE doesn't interest me in the slightest (unless they offered uncapped LTE at ADSL prices - excuse me for dreaming, back to reality now). I'm sure Android 5.0 will offer some interesting features, but I don't mind waiting for an official rom (though I'll probably change my ROM to whichever country gets updates first - SA updates are too slow - Samsung's only failing - though my friends with S3's are getting updates quicker now so maybe things are improving).
    Last edited by oronte; 10-04-2013 at 12:45 PM.
    My nefarious schemes to achieve ultimate global domination are well under way. You can read more at my blog: http://oronte.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by oronte View Post
    I'm definitely going for the power savings on the Octacore, I usually keep my phone on EDGE when I'm out and about so LTE doesn't interest me in the slightest .
    Same here

I'm sure Android 5.0 will offer some interesting features, but I don't mind waiting for an official rom (though I'll probably change my ROM to whichever country gets updates first
    I suspect one may have to wait a long, long time for this.

I assume the jump to 5.x will be a more major (under the hood) update and since Samsung do so much customization to Google's original code, it will probably take them a fair amount of time adapt their TouchWiz & S-Apps.

To me specs are for marketing, software is the real differentiator.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    I suspect one may have to wait a long, long time for this.

I assume the jump to 5.x will be a more major (under the hood) update and since Samsung do so much customization to Google's original code, it will probably take them a fair amount of time adapt their TouchWiz & S-Apps.

To me specs are for marketing, software is the real differentiator.
    I (and I suspect most people) aren't particularly concerned: I've learned to just buy a phone for the features it has when I buy it. If it gets more features later, cool. I also seem to get lost in the hype of each new version of Android, the truth is that it's unlikely anything ground breaking is coming. I've eagerly anticipated each new update, but the reality is I hardly, if ever, use the new features, so waiting doesn't concern me. And I suppose the reason for this is Android does everything I need it to do already. New software features at this point are just marketing - in the truest sense, you never knew it existed or that you needed it, until they convince you that your life is incomplete without it.

In any event, if software is the real differentiator for you, then why are you concerned with the S4? Why not get a Nexus device?
    Last edited by oronte; 10-04-2013 at 01:51 PM.
    My nefarious schemes to achieve ultimate global domination are well under way. You can read more at my blog: http://oronte.blogspot.com

Why not get a Nexus device?
    Cause they're not sold here (on contract).

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Roman4604 View Post
    Cause they're not sold here (on contract).
    Cell C has the Galaxy Nexus on contract, as you said specs are for marketing, so it doesn't matter which one you get.

MyBB Legend

I want the I9500. That's the one with 8 cores.

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast