Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Registered letter of doom

Default Registered letter of doom

So I get a notice in my post box telling me I have a package to collect. I was not expecting anything so I am curious and also scared as I know speed fines occasionally arrive that way. Anyways yesterday I stop by the post office and have to sign for it before seeing what it is. I know its a registered letter as the post office worker had it in her hands but not from whom. Eventually I sign for it and my heart drops as I see that the letter is from the Greater Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department. So now I am thinking great, here is bad news. Anyways I open it only to find a cheque for R375 from them.

I had to laugh at myself. Last year we got a fine for that robot in front of the Brightwater commons. I was surprised at the fine as we are very careful drivers and I almost never get fines. Anyways we had to pay but a few months later we got a letter from the department saying there was an error with the camera that day so our fine can be refunded. We had to fill in a bunch of paperwork and give my wife's account details to get the money refunded and after doing all that and not hearing anything for over half a year we sort of gave up on getting that money and forgot about it. I guess the wheels turn slowly but the cheque eventually came! Not sure why they did not transfer into the account as they said they would but whatever, I'm happy! Guess I am taking the family out to dinner real soon.

Also colour me surprised that the cops both told me the fine was invalid, provided a way for me to reclaim the money, and actually delivered on the promise (even if it was really slow). Really improved my week!
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

There was a thread here a while back about that camera - also something in the Randburg knock'n drop
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

I got the same registered letter. Only R125 though...
    Cost me ***ken R15 to deposit the damned thing.
    Oh and at the same time I picked up another R125 fine.
    bastids.
    Last edited by Sinbad; 22-05-2013 at 09:37 AM.

nice!
    "Why is there something rather than nothing?"
    Gottfried Leibniz

Money from the cops?! Watch out - it might be a new form of snail mail phishing

Quote Originally Posted by Sinbad View Post
    I got the same registered letter. Only R125 though...
    Cost me ***ken R15 to deposit the damned thing.
    Oh and at the same time I picked up another R125 fine.
    bastids.
    My head just started playing isn't it ironic all of a sudden

Anyways, just deposited it. Seems my Nedbank Savy account has free cheque deposits so at least I did not get raped by big fees.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Quote Originally Posted by Cius View Post
    My head just started playing isn't it ironic all of a sudden

Anyways, just deposited it. Seems my Nedbank Savy account has free cheque deposits so at least I did not get raped by big fees.
    Yeah. They could have saved both them and me some money by just netting the two off against each other
    Was a pleasant surprise though, I have to say. Not often JMPD does things properly. Granted, it took MONTHS.

entia non sunt multiplicanda praeter necessitatem

Quote Originally Posted by Cius View Post
    So I get a notice in my post box telling me I have a package to collect. I was not expecting anything so I am curious and also scared as I know speed fines occasionally arrive that way. Anyways yesterday I stop by the post office and have to sign for it before seeing what it is. I know its a registered letter as the post office worker had it in her hands but not from whom. Eventually I sign for it and my heart drops as I see that the letter is from the Greater Johannesburg Metropolitan Police Department. So now I am thinking great, here is bad news. Anyways I open it only to find a cheque for R375 from them.

I had to laugh at myself. Last year we got a fine for that robot in front of the Brightwater commons. I was surprised at the fine as we are very careful drivers and I almost never get fines. Anyways we had to pay but a few months later we got a letter from the department saying there was an error with the camera that day so our fine can be refunded. We had to fill in a bunch of paperwork and give my wife's account details to get the money refunded and after doing all that and not hearing anything for over half a year we sort of gave up on getting that money and forgot about it. I guess the wheels turn slowly but the cheque eventually came! Not sure why they did not transfer into the account as they said they would but whatever, I'm happy! Guess I am taking the family out to dinner real soon.

Also colour me surprised that the cops both told me the fine was invalid, provided a way for me to reclaim the money, and actually delivered on the promise (even if it was really slow). Really improved my week!
    I paid R500 for the same robot around the same time but I haven't filled in the form I recieved for a refund. I thought it was pointless! I'll fill it in.

But bank details you say? I'm sure they just forwarded that to SANRAL
    If you don't understand the argument well enough that you could switch sides and represent the other team, stop arguing.

Super Grandmaster

Oh God my heart skips a beat when I have to fetch a registered letter. I won't sign for it unless they show me who its from. Better to be safe than sorry.
    Sent from a Querty device in the back of a black van

Quote Originally Posted by grantza View Post
    I am more exited than a pedophile in a wendy house !!!!

well done to OP for firstly being silly enough to pay a fine for which he clearly was not guilty of, but paid anyway, and secondly for joining the ranks of citizens who make it that much easier for the authorties to issue illegal fines as they know suckers like the OP will cough up.

Quote Originally Posted by ponder View Post
    Strange similarity to your Avatar?

Quote Originally Posted by ambroseg1 View Post
    well done to OP for firstly being silly enough to pay a fine for which he clearly was not guilty of, but paid anyway, and secondly for joining the ranks of citizens who make it that much easier for the authorties to issue illegal fines as they know suckers like the OP will cough up.
    Clearly not guilty? Really?

When you get a fine, with a photo of your car, and a speed printed on it, do you also immediately assume you're not guilty?

When you get a fine, with a photo of your car, and a speed printed on it, do you also immediately assume you're not guilty?
    Yes! The speed limit was never supposed to be so low.

Where did I say that? The OP said he was surprised at the fine as he apparently couldnt recall breaking the law at that robot. So he just accepted the fine as correct. And where does it say he got a photo etc with the fine?

And YES, I do assume I'm not guilty. Innocent until PROVEN guilty. Heard of it? A photo in the post with a speed printed on doesnt prove guilt.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast