Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Scype / MSN / Yahoo - VOIP with GPRS/EDGE?

Default Scype / MSN / Yahoo - VOIP with GPRS/EDGE?

Did anyone used one of the above software on GPRS / EDGE?

Grandmaster

I don't know of a mobile MSN/Yahoo program that has the voice option on it. I do know the K-jam has Skype on it, but I didn't use it when I had the k-jam...

Super Grandmaster

I have used Skype on MTN EDGE. It used about 6-8 kBytes/sec on the download. Slightly less on upload I think. Even had a few frames incoming video.

There's quite a delay on EDGE, and 3G actually, but once you get used to it and know that you should use the connection more like a walkie talkie (i.e. not try to interrupt someone in a middle of sentence), you can have quite a nice conversation.

Oh, one thing you should keep in mind about GPRS, its upload capability is very limited. Skype didn't work for me on GPRS. GPRS and EDGE only allows 2 timeslots for uploading, so on EDGE, this works fine, seeing you can get up to 57.6 kbps per timeslot, but on GPRS, you can only get about 10-14 kbps per timeslot. Some older devices can only do 1 timeslot for uploading, so Skype will not work. I could hear the other person for example, but they couldn't hear me.
    Last edited by ajax; 15-09-2006 at 09:05 PM.

Grandmaster

Yahoo chat works very well on Edge/3G
    There are 10 types of ppl in the world those who understand binary and those who dnt ......

Msn on Mxit..GPRS.....Vodacom