Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: SA sheep shear shock to Telkom

Default SA sheep shear shock to Telkom

http://www.business-news.co.za/Indus...IT/Telkom.html

Threatening to tackle Telkom head-on in the market place, Skaap, a dynamic South African VoIP company have launched an easy-to-use, cost-effective service specifically for SA landline and contract cellphone users needing to call friends, family or business colleagues overseas.

With a customer friendly interface, www.skaap.com is the site where savings in excess of 50% can be made. In fact, with this product, you are able to call overseas with your contract cellphone, at a fraction of the cost charged by Telkom. Skaap has sheared the costs of international dialling almost matching a locally dialled call through your Telkom line.

"Through Skaap's partnership with VoIP Service provider Mediaring, a listed Singaporean based Telecommunications Operator, which generated over a billion call-minutes across its global operations in 2005, we have been able to provide our customers with quality of service at very reasonable prices. This has been across the full range of international destinations" says Brett Magrath, Managing Director

Much has been mooted about the soon-to-be-introduced Second National Operator (SNO) which may, or may not, affect the way Telkom operates. It would not be unreasonable to assume that at least price-wise, Telkom would attempt to be competitive. Hopefully improvements in service delivery, PR and customer relations will follow.

Due partly to current call rates for overseas calls, the ratio of outbound calls to inbound calls is currently 2 to 1. For every 200 calls received into South Africa from overseas, only 100 calls are made to overseas destinations. Skaap is quickly turning this data on its head.

"Interest in the Skaap service has been phenomenal and is rapidly growing as people realize that they don't necessarily require an ADSL line to make cheap international calls. Our rate of sign-ups more than double on a weekly basis. We are simply responding to the great demand for cheaper international calls that exists in this country" says Magrath.

So for those who make regular calls to friends and families overseas, Skaap, has introduced a product which Telkom or even the SNO would be hard-pressed to match. With cost cutting top of mind this sheep is set to lead while the rest will follow.

http://www.business-news.co.za/Indus...IT/Telkom.html

Man this is about time...

When i lived in the Uk we had something like this... PlanetSomething?

I have been waiting forever for the telecommunication act to allow this, it's going to save me a bomb...

Thanks skappie

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by GavinMannion View Post
    When i lived in the Uk we had something like this... PlanetSomething?
    PlanetTalk perhaps?

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    PlanetTalk perhaps?
    Yip that is it......there are loads now, and I used to use this site, to check the cheapest calls you could get without having to search for the best rate.

http://callchecker.moneysavingexpert...ntcallchecker/

U just call the number and then dial your number to SA.
    "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies......."

Skaap ... a rather nice play on Skype ... good marketing and website behind this .

Skype's still cheaper for the countries that I checked but the Dial-In feature looks interesting. Anyone tested the call quality?
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

The dial-in feature is what makes this interesting. Loads of older folks with kids overseas with no internet access at home that can really benefit from this if the call quality is good.

Thumbs down

Darn, no mac client and the web phone is built around ie... anyone no if the web service will work with safari/firefox etc?

Quote Originally Posted by tibby.dude View Post
    Skaap ... a rather nice play on Skype ... good marketing and website behind this .
    It's how someone from Benoni would say it
    Telkom go google go!

please make a mac client. atleast on intel macs. but I am asking the wrong people here!
    GPSTravelMaps

I rarely visit you guys these days...

Master

Quote Originally Posted by MaD View Post
    It's how someone from Benoni would say it
    Knew better than to say Boksburg ey...
    The View of the Sun from the Moon can't be beaten

Quote Originally Posted by rasputyn View Post
    Knew better than to say Boksburg ey...
    Are u not from Brakpan though old rassie?
    Telkom go google go!