Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Salvation Army says Gays Need to Be Put to Death

Blog Entries

Default Salvation Army says Gays Need to Be Put to Death

Christmas, it is the time of the year for holiday shopping, and also hearing the bell ringers for the Salvation Army collection donations. Those donations provide Christmas dinners, clothing, and Christmas toys for children in need. The charity collects millions of dollars in donations every year, and they distribute it to needy families, seniors, and the homeless in keeping with the spirit of the holiday season.

The Salvation Army has expressed their Christian beliefs in the past, stating that they do not accept the LGBTQ lifestyle, nor do they stand up for gay marriage. Salvation Army went on record recently, stating that LGBTQ parents should be put to death as the bible instructs. Major Andrew Craibe, a Salvation Army Media Relations Director, went on public radio hosted by journalist Serena Ryan, to discuss a recent call by LGBTQ parents for a boycott of the nonprofit for its anti-gay policies and beliefs.

Ryan questioned Craibe about Salvation Story: Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, the manual used to train Salvation Army “soldiers” and members. Several chapters refer to the sin of homosexuality, including a section that cites Romans 1:18-32, which includes a admonition that homosexuals “deserved to die”;

“ Ryan: According to the Salvation Army gay parents deserve death. How do you respond to that, as part of your doctrine?”

“Craibe: Well, that’s a part of our belief system.”

Ryan: So they should die.”

“Craibe: You know, we have an alignment to the Scriptures, but that’s our belief.”

“Ryan: You’re proposing in your doctrine that because these parents are gay, that they must die.”

“Craibe: Well, well, because that is part of our Christian doctrine “

“Ryan: But how is that Christian? Shouldn’t it be about love?”

“Craibe: Well, the love that we would show is about that: consideration for all human beings to come to know salvation…”

“Ryan Or die…”

“Craibe: Well, yes.”

Major Bruce Harmer, the Army’s Communications and Public Relations Secretary recently issued the following statement;

“The Salvation Army encompasses a diverse community with a wide range of opinions on human sexuality and other subjects. The senior leadership of The Salvation Army continues to reflect on Christian and Biblical tradition, and especially on the themes of justice and mercy, to further deepen the understandings of our own members and build a more healthy relationship with the LGBTQ community. We pledge to continue to offer services to all and to treat each person with dignity, respect and non-discrimination.”
    The salvation is willing to take the money from the LGBTQ community, but they aren’t willing to support them. I remember reading a story a year or two ago about the salvation army not supporting the LGBTQ community, so I stopped supporting them. That red bucket they put out every year for Christmas, depends on people like us, to put money in it. They are a charity that depends on donations to help the families in need.

I think it is horrible that a charity admits they think LGBTQ parents should die. It does not matter who you are or what you believe in. No one deserves death. For a charity to wish death upon the LGBTQ community is distasteful, alarming and hurtful. I think the LGBTQ community needs to take a stand against the Salvation Army. If you do not support us, then we do not support you.
    http://tgvnews.com/2013/06/salvation...-put-to-death/

The local Salvation Army is a beneficiary of some of my charity work. I will be bringing this up in our next meeting.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

This can't be right/true ...
    Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post
    OGroteKoning's dog has a cool hat.

At least they are honest about it unlike others who gloss over it and make like their religion is all about love and peace.

This is shocking and disgusting. It is one thing to say you do not endorse or support gay people as a individual. But for a charity like this to say they want gay parents to die ... well..there is just no words.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    This is shocking and disgusting. It is one thing to say you do not endorse or support gay people as a individual. But for a charity like this to say they want gay parents to die ... well..there is just no words.
    I can't believe this - there must be something wrong Ockie - maybe bad context or something ...
    OGroteKoning's dog has a cool hat.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by OGroteKoning View Post
    I can't believe this - there must be something wrong Ockie - maybe bad context or something ...
    Yeah, they could be taken out of context.

"You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

statement by the Sally Army from last year

http://www.salvationarmyusa.org/usn/...E?opendocument

THE SALVATION ARMY RESPONSE TO QUESTIONS RAISED
    ABOUT INTERVIEW ON JOY FM, MELBOURNE

Question: Do Salvation Army full members believe, as per the Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine, that practising homosexuals should be put to death? Why, or why not?

Salvation Army members do not believe, and would never endorse, a view that homosexual activity should result in any form of physical punishment. The Salvationist Handbook of Doctrine does not state that practising homosexuals should be put to death and, in fact, urges all Salvationists to act with acceptance, love and respect to all people.
    The Salvation Army teaches that every person is of infinite value, and each life a gift from God to be cherished, nurtured and preserved.

Question: Why include in your handbook the Romans text from The Bible, which indicates that God insists that homosexuals deserve to die?

This is a misunderstanding of the text referred to. The Scripture in question, viewed in its broader context, is not referring to physical death, nor is it specifically targeted at homosexual behaviour. The author is arguing that no human being is without sin, all sin leads to spiritual death (separation from God), and all people therefore need a Saviour.

Question: Isn't this inherently anti-Christian, to believe people should be put to death?

The Salvation Army acknowledges that the response in the interview has led to a serious misunderstanding of our teaching and that clarification should have been given during the interview. The Salvation Army believes in the sanctity of all human life and believes it would be inconsistent with Christian teaching to call for anyone to be put to death. We consider every person to be of infinite value, and each life a gift from God to be cherished, nurtured and preserved.

Question: Do you feel you owe an apology or explanation to all those gay and Lesbian volunteers and people your organisation supports?

The Salvation Army sincerely apologises to all members of the GLBT community and to all our clients, employees, volunteers and those who are part of our faith communities for the offence caused by this miscommunication.

Conclusion
    The Salvation Army encompasses a diverse community with a wide range of opinions on human sexuality and other subjects. The leadership of The Salvation Army continues to reflect on Christian and Biblical tradition, and especially on the themes of justice and mercy, to further deepen the understandings of our own members and build a more healthy relationship with the GLBT community. We pledge to continue to offer services to all Australians and to treat each person with dignity, respect and non-discrimination.

Major Bruce Harmer
    (Communications and Public Relations Secretary Australia Eastern Territory)
    Last edited by Ol' Mean Bastid; 11-06-2013 at 08:57 AM.
    Ineptocracy - a system of government where the least capable to lead are elected by the least capable of producing. Yep, thats us.

Super Grandmaster

To boycott a charity is not on. But open season having being declared, they run the risk of tar and feathering or vats of boiling oil when in my neck of the woods.

This photo looks a bit fake.

I'd need to hear the actual radio clip to believe that they said what is alleged.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto View Post
    This photo looks a bit fake.

I'd need to hear the actual radio clip to believe that they said what is alleged.
    Then go find it.

Grandmaster

Absolute bollocks (if you will excuse the pun). Natural News is considered lunatic by the OP yet this misleading article by TGV News not?
    "We live in a monetary paradigm that demands infinite growth, so balance is not possible." Michael C. Ruppert

Sounds like interviewee got trapped and stammered through answers in a less than thought out manner

So fairly standard radio shock tactics
    www.domaincheap.co.za
    50% off 1st month Afrihost Uncapped here - No contracts

Then go find it.
    The burden of proof is not on me since I'm not the one making these allegations.

Well...I was curious to see now what this passage actually says...and it seems pretty clear and straight forward. If you give into your passion and lust or whatever for another man then you deserve to die. Finished and klaar.

27 and the men likewise gave up natural relations with women and were consumed with passion for one another, men committing shameless acts with men and receiving in themselves the due penalty for their error.
    They are full of envy, murder, strife, deceit, maliciousness. They are gossips, 30 slanderers, haters of God, insolent, haughty, boastful, inventors of evil, disobedient to parents, 31 foolish, faithless, heartless, ruthless. 32 Though they know God's righteous decree that those who practice such things deserve to die, they not only do them but give approval to those who practice them.
    I do not see how this can be interepreted in a broader sense. That is what the bible says. Same with Leviticus.

Anyway....
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Humberto View Post
    The burden of proof is not on me since I'm not the one making these allegations.
    If you had bothered to read any of the links in this thread you would have seen that the Salvation Army has directly apologized for it.

But if you are to bloody lazy to google, let me help you

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast