Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Three loud beeps when I switched on my pc

Default Three loud beeps when I switched on my pc

I switched on my PC today, and I got three loud beeps with a fair interval between each one (beep!~~~beep!~~~beep!)

The red light near the power button stayed on continuously, and didn't flicker like it usually would, and the monitor was blank. I couldn't get to the motherboard logo screen, Windows startup screen or desktop. Upon closer inspection, I don't think my graphics card (PCI express) was running. It's usually pretty loud. I left it like this for a while with no change in the situation. I tried the reboot button, tried powering off by holding in the power button. Nothing. I ended up pulling the power lead out.

I'm not sure, but I think this might be related to this issue: lately I bought a new power strip (I think it's called that) and plugged in several appliances. They operate off of switches. The thing is that they're those red glow in the dark kind switches that ended up keeping me awake at night seeing as my PC is never far from my bed. So I switched off the appliances at the plug including the PC, and all was fine for a couple of weeks until today, after I hadn't switched on the PC (at the plug) for two days.

Any idea on what I should do?

Check motherboard manual...the beep codes tell you whats wrong.
    Quote Originally Posted by hereticangel View Post
    Ok i am now the proud owner of 9 telkom shares
    Quote Originally Posted by Stefanmuller View Post
    From now on you can't say anything negative about them, else your money might shrink....
    oh snap

Quote Originally Posted by HavocXphere View Post
    Check motherboard manual...the beep codes tell you whats wrong.
    If I can find it.

I'll do that, otherwise might they have it online over at Intel's website?

Never mind, I answered my own question and found it there. According to the manual, it seems to indicate that it's a memory issue. It says "no memory".

Remove your RAM sticks - then re-insert

[was gonna say sounds like RAM - good to know the old diagnostic knowledge is still current )
    -------------------------
    MyBB LFC Supporters Club
    Diablo 3 - GDruid#1919
    MyBB Member BattleTag and Clan Officer List

It's usually a RAM issue. Either the RAM is not compatible, not properly in the slot or it's faulty.
    Procrastination. I'll find a signature for this later.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanTech View Post
    Remove your RAM sticks - then re-insert

[was gonna say sounds like RAM - good to know the old diagnostic knowledge is still current )
    +1 In all likelyhood it's a RAM issue. Second would be graphics if you have a dedicated graphics card. If you're using onboard graphics then it still points to RAM.

Try checking the BIOS battery on the motherboard as well (usually a CR2032 flat cell battery) - have had this before when it went dead...
    ...you indicate the only thing that seemingly changed was that you were switching off the mains at night - this could have drained the battery if it had low charge - they usually last a number of years, but not forever
    Last edited by howardb; 06-07-2013 at 08:07 AM.
    PhenomII X6 1100T | Asus M5A99X Evo | OCZ Vertex 3 120GB SSD | 16GB Hyper-X | Radeon HD6850 | Win7 Ult 64 | HX850 PSU | 2x Samsung 2333SW | CM690ii | H80 Cooler

Quote Originally Posted by duk3 View Post
    I switched on my PC today, and I got three loud beeps with a fair interval between each one (beep!~~~beep!~~~beep!)

The red light near the power button stayed on continuously, and didn't flicker like it usually would, and the monitor was blank. I couldn't get to the motherboard logo screen, Windows startup screen or desktop. Upon closer inspection, I don't think my graphics card (PCI express) was running. It's usually pretty loud. I left it like this for a while with no change in the situation. I tried the reboot button, tried powering off by holding in the power button. Nothing. I ended up pulling the power lead out.

I'm not sure, but I think this might be related to this issue: lately I bought a new power strip (I think it's called that) and plugged in several appliances. They operate off of switches. The thing is that they're those red glow in the dark kind switches that ended up keeping me awake at night seeing as my PC is never far from my bed. So I switched off the appliances at the plug including the PC, and all was fine for a couple of weeks until today, after I hadn't switched on the PC (at the plug) for two days.

Any idea on what I should do?
    3 beeps = borked RAM on about 80% of motherboards.
    I-Rah los Pruzah ahrk Mul
    IMA CHEMICAL ENGINEER WEO
    Agents are people too.
    Just because I'm technically bloody and imperialist doesn't prove anything!

Sometimes all you have to do is remove the ram and clean the contact strips with an eraser and re insert. Ought to sort it out.

I tried a reseat of the RAM and that didn't seem to work. Tried a reseat of the graphics card and that didn't work. Might do them both again one after the other instead of separately and try again.

Quote Originally Posted by howardb View Post
    Try checking the BIOS battery on the motherboard as well (usually a CR2032 flat cell battery) - have had this before when it went dead...
    ...you indicate the only thing that seemingly changed was that you were switching off the mains at night - this could have drained the battery if it had low charge - they usually last a number of years, but not forever
    Would leaving the power switched on at the plug help? Or would I need to a get a new battery? Those lights from the switches keep me awake at night, so what could I use to cover them up with? Black insulation tape? I've seen that done before. Otherwise I should just swap that power strip for another one.

Quote Originally Posted by duk3 View Post
    Would leaving the power switched on at the plug help? Or would I need to a get a new battery?
    Flat battery could prevent from booting. Do you have multimeter? Leaving power plug on doesn't charge a battery, it just prevents from further discharging. Changing to older power strips is a good idea, even it is only for the 'glowing' reason.

You don't mention the type of machine, so this may not be relevant, but I do know that HP machines beep and show a red light when the power pack goes. Could be your problem.

Quote Originally Posted by sajunky View Post
    Flat battery could prevent from booting. Do you have multimeter? Leaving power plug on doesn't charge a battery, it just prevents from further discharging. Changing to older power strips is a good idea, even it is only for the 'glowing' reason.
    Multimeter... I might be able to get one.

Quote Originally Posted by Arctus View Post
    You don't mention the type of machine, so this may not be relevant, but I do know that HP machines beep and show a red light when the power pack goes. Could be your problem.
    It's not an HP. It's a custom built rig. But what you describe is what's happening here.

For starters what motherboard is it?
    Intel I5 2500K 1155 | 16GB DDR3 Corsair Dominator | EVGA GTX 460 1GB EE | 7.5TB | Corsair Graphite 600T
    Recall Zuma

Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    For starters what motherboard is it?
    It's an old Intel D945 series board. I read through the manual and it is a CR2032 battery that I need. I phoned around and there are two places nearby where I can buy one. They're quite cheap, about R50. The brand is Renata. So I'll replace the battery and see if that does the trick. Otherwise it likely is the RAM that's gone, or maybe even the GPU.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast