Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Connect Lumia 520 to XP?

Default Connect Lumia 520 to XP?

I just got hold of a Nokia Lumia 520 and want to connect by USB to PC to manage contacts, music, photos etc. and to tether for internet. I have Windows XP Pro SP3 machines, no Windows 7 or 8 machines.

If I connect the phone via USB I can access the photos that are on the SD card, but nothing else.

From what I can gather, Nokia Suite, Zune and WindowsPhone don't work on the WP8/XP combination and I can't find anywhere that specifies particular drivers.

Can someone help me with this?
    Last edited by riscbroker; 06-07-2013 at 12:25 PM.

1. Contacts are manageable from your Outlook account.
    2. Music can be moved onto the SD card and onto the Phone from the Windows Explorer window in XP
    3. You cant tether your phone to connect you to the net like previous phones, you can create a wifi hot-spot and connect using that to the internet from your pc.

Make sense?
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    "I'm so deep in the friend zone that I have met her boyfriend's parents"

Quote Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
    1. Contacts are manageable from your Outlook account.
    2. Music can be moved onto the SD card and onto the Phone from the Windows Explorer window in XP
    3. You cant tether your phone to connect you to the net like previous phones, you can create a wifi hot-spot and connect using that to the internet from your pc.

Make sense?
    Thanks Phoenix

1. I don't have Outlook on any of my machines. Outlook Express I have. I was hoping the phone could sync with Address Book.
    2. Windows Explorer only sees the Lumia as a camera and only accesses the photos that are on the SD card. Doesn't see the music or contacts that are on the SD card.
    3. yeah, I've since discovered that USB tether won't work

Thanks for your interest

So the 520 does not support USB mass storage mode?

Quote Originally Posted by riscbroker View Post
    Thanks Phoenix

1. I don't have Outlook on any of my machines. Outlook Express I have. I was hoping the phone could sync with Address Book.
    2. Windows Explorer only sees the Lumia as a camera and only accesses the photos that are on the SD card. Doesn't see the music or contacts that are on the SD card.
    3. yeah, I've since discovered that USB tether won't work

Thanks for your interest
    1.Outlook.com or rather Hotmail.com. If your Outlook Express has the people in that address books and the same people are in the Live account you used to setup the phone. The people should show up.
    2.Must be a WinXP driver issue. Windows 7/8 can see the phone and the SDcard as separate entities.

@kingrob it does, would assume it's a WinXP issue that OP is struggling with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    "I'm so deep in the friend zone that I have met her boyfriend's parents"

If you have adsl backup up your everything to skydrive but i think you only get 7gigs
    Please check out and like my Facebook Page

Quote Originally Posted by mmmig View Post
    If you have adsl backup up your everything to skydrive but i think you only get 7gigs
    If you're an old Hotmail user, you have 25GB in your SkyDrive account.

Quote Originally Posted by mmmig View Post
    I don't have too much stuff to backup, trouble is I only have EDGE internet, not even 3G

Quote Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
    1.Outlook.com or rather Hotmail.com. If your Outlook Express has the people in that address books and the same people are in the Live account you used to setup the phone. The people should show up.
    2.Must be a WinXP driver issue. Windows 7/8 can see the phone and the SDcard as separate entities.

@kingrob it does, would assume it's a WinXP issue that OP is struggling with.
    Some sites claim I need to install Windows Media Player 11, I tried that, makes no diffs. It could even be a .NET issue, my machines are on 3.5

Try the Windows Phone desktop app.

I am sure it is easy to find a download for by Binging it.

Quote Originally Posted by McCrazieGoalz View Post
    Try the Windows Phone desktop app.

Only good for Windows 7 and 8 apparently

So in case there are any other people left in the world who are still running XP and are struggling to connect a Nokia Lumia 520:

If these are not present, install Service Pack 3 and Windows Media Player 11.
    Restart PC
    Go to the site below and follow the instructions for solution #3 on the page (copied below also)

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2749484

Update your Windows Phone 8 driver
    If Windows Device Manager indicates a device problem or if the driver version of Windows Phone 8 that's installed isn't the current version, update the driver. To do this, follow these steps:

Connect your Windows Phone to your computer by using the USB cable that was included with your phone.
    Windows 8 users: In the Start screen, type "Device Manager," tap or click Settings, and then tap or click Device Manager.
    Windows 7, Vista, and XP users: Click Start, right-click Computer, and then click Properties.
    A window will appear with the name of your computer and a list of files. (If you don't see the files, click the name of your computer.) The name of your Windows Phone 8 should be listed under Portable Devices. If Windows Phone was incorrectly installed, it may be listed with a yellow exclamation mark. Or, it may be listed under Other Devices as a USB device or an unknown device.
    Double-tap or double-click Windows Phone (under Portable Devices) or the unknown device to open the Properties window.
    On the Driver tab, tap or click Uninstall.
    In the pop-up box "Confirm Device Uninstall," select "Delete the driver software for this device" and then tap or click OK.
    Return to the Device Manager window. Tap or click the Action menu, and then tap or click Scan for hardware changes.
    Open Portable Devices, double-tap or double-click the name of your Windows Phone, and then click the Driver tab.
    Note If you don't see your phone's name, tap or click the unknown device that is listed under Other Devices, and then tap or click the Driver tab.
    Tap or click Update Driver.
    Tap or click Browse my computer for driver software.
    Tap or click Browse, locate the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder on your computer, and then click OK.
    Click Next and if you're prompted, click Install. You may only be given a Close option.
    After the driver installation is complete, close the open windows until you exit the Device Manager. Restart your computer if you're prompted.

To manually download and install the Windows Phone driver:

Go to http://catalog.update.microsoft.com.
    Search for "windows phone winusb". You should find "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device".
    Tap or click Add in the right-most column.
    ap or click View basket (just below the search box).
    On the "Updates in your basket" screen, tap or click the Download button. Tap or click the Browse button and select a convenient location, such as your Desktop or the Downloads folder, to save the file. Tap or click Continue, and then tap or click Close when downloaded.
    Browse to the file you downloaded (which may be contained in a folder called "Windows Phone - Other hardware - WinUsb Device") and then double tap or double click it.
    Double tap or double click the file winusbcompat.cat. Select a location (such as the Desktop) to extract the file.
    Repeat the steps under Update your Windows Phone 8 driver above, but when you reach Step K, browse to the file you just saved instead of the C:\Windows\Inf\ folder.

I,ve just done 2 XP machines with this procedure, works perfectly.

The Special One Maverick Jester's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by McCrazieGoalz View Post
    Worst bloody advice ever...