Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: What is the difference a Bachelor's degree and a BTech degree?

Default What is the difference a Bachelor's degree and a BTech degree?

Which one carries more weight? My field is Commerce.
    Last edited by Ridah; 07-07-2013 at 05:21 PM.

Super Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

It depends on what you plan to do, career-wise. A bachelor of arts degree will tell the prospective employer that here is someone who is bright, can think for himself and will be able to make a positive impact on the business. In later years, the degree will fast-track you to promotion over less well qualified employees

In some countries, BTech degrees are very similar to BA, in Canada they are almost the same whereas in Israel, they are awarded for engineering courses only

UNISA spells it out quite well: http://www.unisa.ac.za/Default.asp?C...ontentID=26560
    Things won are done; joy's soul lies in the doing

I might not be correct so don't take my word for it but I think a BTech is equivalent to a Bachelors degree.

You usually have to do 3 years diploma then 1 year BTech, where usually a degree is 3 years.

As for which one carries more weight they're both the same NQF level but I wouldn't use that as a benchmark.

What aspect of commerce? B.Bus.Sci., likely carries more weight for most commerce related industries. As for B.Tech vs. B.Com., I have no idea (I expect that B.Com > N.Dip, but then again a B.Tech has an additional year (note a 4th year to get a B.Com honours can be done too)). If you are talking about specialized areas such as financial software development or quantitative finance, then B.Sc. degrees (and beyond) will carry much more weight.
    Last edited by cguy; 08-07-2013 at 06:37 AM.

Business Management to be precise.

Quote Originally Posted by KalMaverick View Post
    I might not be correct so don't take my word for it but I think a BTech is equivalent to a Bachelors degree.

You usually have to do 3 years diploma then 1 year BTech, where usually a degree is 3 years.

As for which one carries more weight they're both the same NQF level but I wouldn't use that as a benchmark.
    This..

Also with a BTech degree you don't have the chip on the shoulder like the dude from uni

BTech in engineering world seems to lead to more technical work. BSc is a lot more academic and is more often found amoung engineering managers. Still, both are good qualifications and you will find both in most engineering areas. The one big advantage the BTech has is that you can get it part time where a BSc normally requires full time studies.
    Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.

Bachelors Degree <-> National Diploma
    Honours Degree <-> BTech
    Masters Degree <-> MTech
    Doctorate Degree <-> DTech

Bachelors, Honours, Masters, and Docorate degrees traditionally refer to studies that are more theory based and were usually distributed by Universities (like management degrees etc)

National Diploma, BTech, MTech, and DTech degrees are traditionally more practical based and used to be distributed more often by the Technikons (like engineering and computer based qualifications).

Everything has gone University based now and so Universities award both streams of qualifications.
    Last edited by ^^vampire^^; 08-07-2013 at 01:52 PM.

Nevermind
    Last edited by KalMaverick; 08-07-2013 at 03:08 PM. Reason: Confilcting information so I don't know what is what.

Quote Originally Posted by visrot View Post
    This..

Also with a BTech degree you don't have the chip on the shoulder like the dude from uni
    Chip? Care to ellaborate?

Quote Originally Posted by AlphaBravo View Post
    Chip? Care to ellaborate?
    Don't feed the troll.