Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast

Thread: Allergic to beer

Quote Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
    My nose runs when I drink beer.
    gluten intolerance.

Not sure of you can get hold of gluten fee (very low gluten) beers in ZA. They tend to be expensive in the UK and scarce. Never find them in the pub.

Drinking beer is more fun than the side affects. Some just live with it

Joziburg. Home Of Broadband Sloth Racing...
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by mc721221 View Post
    gluten intolerance.
    Gluten intolerance often presents as abdominal issues and one would expect to see it after ingesting quantities of gluten far exceeding the content of beer. Isolated to a runny nose, I wouldn't necessarily conclude a gluten intolerance, especially considering that the nasal issues present as congestion which from what I can make out is not the OPs issue.

Or perhaps I'm just rooting for it not to be an allergy...
    Internet the way it was meant to be. Launch details will become Crystal Clear very soon...

well you certainly cant be allergic to its chief ingredients (alcohol and water)

This is interesting I would think if you were really allergic to it you would puff up (severe allergy) or get a form gastric distress a running nose never had someone ask this to me before lol

are you sure its the beer ? maybe something you ate or like the bar might have spices that you sensitive to or the air conditioner filter maybe over dirty causing your nose to fuss.

so how do you know its the beer ?

Quote Originally Posted by mc721221 View Post
    gluten intolerance.

Not sure of you can get hold of gluten fee (very low gluten) beers in ZA. They tend to be expensive in the UK and scarce. Never find them in the pub.

Drinking beer is more fun than the side affects. Some just live with it
    A friend of mine is gluten intolerant and he also can't drink beer. Spot on.
    :-)

Quote Originally Posted by DrJohnZoidberg View Post
    SAB beers give me a headache after 1 or 2 but I can drink Tafel and Windhoek without issues.
    +1

Quote Originally Posted by Vegeta View Post
    Additives? Like what? Not in beers we get here.
    Name an additive in our local beers like SAB & Namibia breweries? There isn't any
    Namibia none. SAB, lactic acid and mielie meal (in Castle).

Quote Originally Posted by hambone View Post
    I am convinced I am allergic to draught beer - specifically Castle and Black Label. When I drink Jack Black, Guinness or Erdinger Weißbier my nose stays dry as a bone. The others I end up sniffing around the place like a druggie.
    Jack black in bottles? Where? (I prefer draught butI would live to rather take Jack Black to a braai than castle light).

Draught.
    All of them? Try milkstout.

I also like Castle Lite its my beer of choice just based on taste over anything else. I wonder if it has something to do with that lower alcohol % that just makes it taste better to beer connoisseurs like you and myself
    ... Castle light is to beer connoisseurs, what First watch is to whisky connoisseurs, or what McDonalds would be to foodies.....

Yeah well i'd put additives in my beer as well if it had to be shipped around the world. Beer doesn't age well at all so I guess one can forgive them.
    Try IPAs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/India_Pale_Ale
    |Bebamos y divirtámonos que mañana moriremos.
    |Melior morior bellator, quam ago profugus.
    |Nemo saltat sobrius.

Quote Originally Posted by DJ... View Post
    You might have a yeast sensitivity. Doesn't sound like you're allergic to the stuff though...
    Quick test would be to try bottled beer rather than on-tap beer. Bottled beer is pasteurised to kill the yeast to increase the shelf life.

So OP your draught tastes a bit salty then? Or do you catch the secretion in time after a sip?

Super Grandmaster

Name:  cd-4.jpg
Views: 148
Size:  25.2 KB

Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

My nose runs when I drink beer.
    ^Unluckiest man alive

It could be a few things actually.

1. SAB beers (Hansa, Castle, Black Label, Castle Lite) have a high percentage of Maize in them. They use specific enzymes to break the maize down as well as the malt. Conversely Windhoek and Tafel contain no maize - I'd start there.
    2. Does your nose run when you drink red wine? Potassium Metabisulphate (or CONTAINS SULPHITES) on wine bottes is also used in some beers as a stabiliser and preservative. This is the reason you will feel blocked up after a long night drinking red wine, the Sulphites don't play nicely with sinus.
    3. As mentioned it could be a gluten intolerance, how are you with pasta, wheat - all grains basically.
    4. You're a girl. Harden up man.

Quote Originally Posted by RiaX View Post
    well you certainly cant be allergic to its chief ingredients (alcohol and water)

This is interesting I would think if you were really allergic to it you would puff up (severe allergy) or get a form gastric distress a running nose never had someone ask this to me before lol

are you sure its the beer ? maybe something you ate or like the bar might have spices that you sensitive to or the air conditioner filter maybe over dirty causing your nose to fuss.

so how do you know its the beer ?
    I'll be fine all day. Sit down at the pub after work and within 5 minutes of sipping the first draught and it starts. As mentioned it's not a torrent just a bit but very noticeable.

The staff now serve my first beer with serviettes as they know.

No issue with red wine. And iirc no issue with bottled microbrewery beers. No issue with pasta. Though bread can give me heartburn sometimes.
    Last edited by biometrics; 16-07-2013 at 08:37 AM.

I also know of a fella who is allergic to hops, or more specifically lupulin which makes beer bitter. It's entirely possible, and a terrible affliction. He has to take anti-histamines to drink beer.

Quote Originally Posted by luxe View Post
    It could be a few things actually.

1. SAB beers (Hansa, Castle, Black Label, Castle Lite) have a high percentage of Maize in them. They use specific enzymes to break the maize down as well as the malt. Conversely Windhoek and Tafel contain no maize - I'd start there.
    Isn’t SAB starting to sell Amstel as well again?

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 567 LastLast