Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast

Thread: Comet ISON to be visible late 2013

Default Comet ISON to be visible late 2013

http://www.enca.com/opinion/blog-pos...yes-comet-ison

On September 21st last year two Russian astronomers, Vitali Nevski and Artyom Novichonok discovered a new comet that's creating a buzz of anticipation around the world. It may turn out to be the most spectacular comet to grace our skies in centuries. Nevertheless, astronomers are pulling in the reins on the world’s excitement, as Comet ISON may also break apart before putting on an amazing show. Luckily we don't have to wait too long to find out, as we should be able to see it with the naked eye by October.

There are a couple of things that make this particular comet unique the first being its name. Most comets are named after the person/s that discovered it, like Halley's Comet and Comet Hale-Bopp. Instead of being named Comet Nevski-Novichonok after its discoverers, the world's media has latched onto ISON - the acronym for the International Scientific Optical Network - which is the organisation that Nevski and Novichonok were working for when they made the discovery. Unfortunately for the Russian astronomers, the name has stuck. The other somewhat unique feature of ISON is that, according to NASA, it is likely a new comet, meaning that this will be its first time passing through our solar system.

You may be wondering why this particular comet has the potential to be especially bright. Firstly, ISON is considered to be a “sungrazing” comet, which means it will pass very close to the sun's surface. Because of the close proximity to the sun, the comet will become extremely hot. This allows more of the materials within it to explode burn and evaporate out and off of it, therefore potentially producing a very long and bright tail. Since ISON will be approaching the sun for the first time, it will also be fully loaded with ice and dust, adding to the possibility that we'll be treated to a wonderful display. However, NASA astronomers warn it may all amount to very little. The gravitational forces acting on the comet as it approaches perihelion (its closest approach to the sun) will be so intense, that they could cause it to break apart and fizzle out. If ISON manages to remain intact, predictions are that around perihelion in late November, the comet could become brighter than the full moon and will be visible near the sun in broad daylight. NASA also suggests a third, and exciting outcome: a partial break-up of the comet that might give it a “string-of-pearls” appearance, especially when viewed through telescopes.

After perihelion, ISON will gradually dim but will continue to be visible until mid-January 2014; and at the same time, the Earth will pass through the comet's orbit, increasing meteors in our evening skies. Here is a video by NASA showing the comet's expected path through our solar system and comparing ISON to other comets recently visible from earth:

As excited as sky-watchers are about the potential brilliance of this celestial encounter, comets are notoriously fickle and many before have not lived-up to expectations, hence astronomers the world over seem to be cautiously optimistic about ISON's potential for dazzling us in late 2013. For the rest of us, holding thumbs and hoping for the best is all we can do and if we're lucky enough, we’ll be witness to a once-in-a-lifetime cosmic event.
    This is going to be spectacular.

I would normally be excited. But every time something spectacular happens in the night sky we tend to have clouds obscuring it all

Although the time span on this one gives me hope

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunSA View Post
    I would normally be excited. But every time something spectacular happens in the night sky we tend to have clouds obscuring it all

Although the time span on this one gives me hope
    You know they claim this comet is smaller than previous comets but it is the comet of the century.

Go look at ancient drawings, looks like dust wings. Watch the weather, volcano's and earthquakes will become far worse in aug. Flooding and sink holes are already here.
    I love a good conspiracy but wormwood, niburu, whatever this could be it. I read about the dust tails, it was discovered in 1983. A magazine in the 50's said it was coming and what it would do.

Considering it is the comet of the century why is there little focus on it? Look i don't believe all that stuff but that dust tail and colour looks very similar to ancient drawings, i also read we should have a binary twin, sun should have a mate basically. We will find out but have you been following the weather of late? extreme doesn't describe it. We will see shortly though, some estimates say that it will be here sooner. As it passes around the sun and assuming it makes the trip it will speed up. Some are claiming nasa are lying about it's size as well.

Fascinating comet, considering it's the comet of century there really isn't much coming from nasa regarding it.

The only credible part of this conspiracy that grabs me is the drawings of what it looks like.
    Last edited by killadoob; 18-07-2013 at 02:23 PM.

Name:  grumpy-cat-comet-ison-news.png
Views: 1417
Size:  205.8 KB

I hear you but i enjoy reading up on the topic. Not long until we know.

Maybe there is no hype, because NASA didn't make the discovery, you know how these 'mericans can be

http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...age2189250/pg2

Research James mccanny on youtube. The man knows his stuff and his calculation are similar to the posted link.

No there should be hype and updated photos but nothing. Silence.

also not very popular on here I see

here is a bit that caught my attention... from your link...

[link to www.aerith.net]
    The value in the third line for 1 pixel = 2" is wrong.
    The value for the field (7' x 4') is also questionable - it gives 0.60"/px horizontal and 0.46"/px vertical.

Most probably the values are from an earlier picture or it's a display detail with the original values kept.

Nevertheless, the astrometric data of the picture gives a value of: 1 pixel = 0.647" (Thanks Astro)
    [link to nova.astrometry.net]

Corrected calculation with: 1 pixel = 0.647"

Innermost brightest part = 1 px = 0.647"
    Coma = 26 px = 16.8"
    Tail + coma = 57 px = 36.9"
    Distance Earth-ISON = 4.199 AU = 628,161,459 kilometers

The correct values:

Innermost part = ~1970 km
    This is not the size of the nucleus - it's just the brightest part of the coma.
    The nucleus itself is far beyond the resolution of the camera.
    Coma = ~51,200 km
    Coma + Tail = ~112,400 km
    Tail = ~61,200 km
    http://www.godlikeproductions.com/fo...ge2189250/pg25
    Last edited by jacodebeer; 19-07-2013 at 07:51 AM.

That is why i posted dude, did you research that james mccanny guy? He is a genius when it comes to this sort of thing and he said his calculations are correct and they are the same calculations from that thread.

Nasa can hide the true size from us but they can't stop the mathematical part. See the way i figure it is nasa are lying and this was discovered a long time ago. 2012 in my opinion was made for blinding/scaring us. They hyped it up so much and made people believe, when it didn't happen people are obviously saying this is just another crazy conspiracy but nasa can't hide this anymore. Nasa also cannot tell us even if this comet makes a fly by and misses us that we are not going to pelted with small comets, not fine dust. Watch the weather dude.

I love a conspiracy and the calculations made added with the drawings of what niburu/wormwood look like makes me wonder, wings and a ball, it will be brighter than the moon? How can that be? it will be 3 times brighter than the moon because the metal ball will be super heated by the sun with a dust tail that will hit earth from both sides, which in theory to someone would look like a ball with wings in the sky.

Then in the last 3 months nasa has released nothing, they have the means to use something other than a telescope to get the size yet they say 5km dirty snow ball. Comet of the century? Look around, flooding, quakes, big volcanic activity, unexplainable storms. Weather is beyond anything man can achieve. The magnetic pole has accelerated to 47 miles a year for the last few years, prior to 2001 it moved 1 mile a year. Something big entered our solar system around 2001, global warming.

http://theextinctionprotocol.wordpress.com/

Check that out dude, make no mistake i am not fear mongering nor i am certain that the calculations are accurate, nor do i know nasa simple can't track it yet they can find the colour of a planet 64 billion light years away. Something does not add up. Only time will tell and i cannot believe nasa missed something this large. Also jacob go look up Sumerian by zackery something other.

I am not saying believe it but it is interesting. There are numerous ancient warnings of a heavily body wiping out civilizations and changing the planet. Ever 3600 years they say, nasa won't be able to hide it much longer if this is legit but in the 60's they said this could happen. If the theory is correct that the oceans floor should be rising up to 3 feet or more. Watch the weather guys. Nope i don't believe this but i enjoy reading up on it and there are some scary things making it look like nasa know there is impending doom.

1. calculations nasa cannot hide and 5km comet making it the comet of the century. See soon enough i guess.
    2. looks like the ancients who drew what the comet should look like when it survives
    3. i read last year that when niburu/wormwood comes there will be huge hacking and spying stories dominating the news
    Last edited by killadoob; 19-07-2013 at 05:58 PM.

I'm busy reading this about Jim Mccanney
    http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/Come...20Sub-page.HTM
    The part that I'm at now raised my eyebrows about the fact that ISON will be going closely past Mars? and the effect it will have going closely past Mars...
    This made me think about the mission to Mars that Nasa made, maybe it was for this particular event? For them to monitor what effects the comet will have on the weather of Mars, could this be part of the real reason for them doing the Mission to Mars? I think it is!
    Let me continue my reading
    This is starting to fascinate me greatly and I'm getting what you ment Killadoob

Here are some interisting things in his page aswell
    http://sisterrosetta.wordpress.com/2...13-and-beyond/
    i'm going to download the mp3 later and listen to it. might be interresting
    http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/Jame...il_25_2013.mp3

Quote Originally Posted by jacodebeer View Post
    I'm busy reading this about Jim Mccanney
    http://www.jmccanneyscience.com/Come...20Sub-page.HTM
    The part that I'm at now raised my eyebrows about the fact that ISON will be going closely past Mars? and the effect it will have going closely past Mars...
    This made me think about the mission to Mars that Nasa made, maybe it was for this particular event? For them to monitor what effects the comet will have on the weather of Mars, could this be part of the real reason for them doing the Mission to Mars? I think it is!
    Let me continue my reading
    This is starting to fascinate me greatly and I'm getting what you ment Killadoob
    Mars has been heating up like earth for sometime now and they say it will have an impact on mars, venus was also being pulled slightly out of orbit and jupiter at one point, i think venus was heating up as well along with jupiter but i could be mistaken on jupiter. This comet if it is niburu will have an impact on earth, regardless of the dust or hitting us it could reverse our poles which are moving like crazy thus the extreme weather(flooding is at an all time high) we have seen, how many places have flooded? and insane weather events wow so many. Magma beneath the earths mantle i think is highly active(more so than ever before) and everyday a new volcano has tiny swarms. The problem is so much on youtube is BS but that james mccanny guy and that thread with the calculation for me shows some interesting evidence, add to that nasa saying the tail will hit from both sides, it makes the ancient drawings seem more real than every before. The dust is a brown/copper colour. They never mentioned an impact, they mention a change because much like nasa i don't think knew how badly it would change the planet.

Look it could burn up and become nothing but the more i read and less i see of it(nasa barely gives it a thought publicly), it makes me wonder why nasa are not using technology that can track this comet of the century, they say the hubble can't but they have other options which are not being used.

By flooding the internet with BS in 2003, then flooding it with mayan BS in 2012, everyone thinks the conspiracy is BS because that is what nasa and i would imagine every government have known about it for decades, anyone who does say anything about it now is called a crackpot liar. So if this is going to be the reason civilizations just vanished or why the dinosaurs were nailed on a global scale we won't know until it is upon us. Bible said build a boat, not a believer but it makes you wonder, why would a fantasy tale like i think the bible is have a story about a man who built a boat and saved animals and humans by doing it. Someone gave him that information and perhaps it wasn't some alien but someone who understood what could be happening.

Did you look up the Sumerian stuff? apart from the alien story there is good information. In so many ancients drawings and tales there is a name for this event. Coincidence? perhaps

What scares me is nasa seems adamant it won't change it's orbit during the journey and then they say comets are unpredictable so ummm errrm HTF can they be saying it with such confidence. They are guessing what will happen when/if it makes it around the sun, nobody on this planet can know how accurate nasa might be but nasa seem overly confidence that they know exactly how this huge comet with a dust trail so big they even have video clip of the predicted orbit but check how earth slows down, computer bug again? they even go as far as saying the debris won't change orbit either, so they say comets are unpredictable but they seem to have confidence on it's path, they say it is like most comets 5km yet it's the comet of the century. They also say it is a dirty snowball. Dirty snowballs do not drag so much rubbish with them, specially small ones like ison is supposedly. I tend to think something 2 or 3 times bigger than earth could pull such a tail with it but i am not an expert so i may be wrong. I wonder if our magnetic field is following it or has been since 2001 when they noticed it beginning to accelerate year after year.

Bare in mind i am not some conspiracy nutter who believes everything i read but this is one of the most fascinating comets i have ever seen. With the maths, ancient drawings and magnetic poles shifting at 47 miles a year i am beginning to wonder. James mccanny is hiding as well but nobody is buying the so called BS this time thanks to 2012.
    Last edited by killadoob; 19-07-2013 at 09:00 PM.

I also say its a cover up to not cause any panic! Like the story about the boy who cried wolf, remember the Y2K, when every one was up in arms about the end of the world, plus 2012 and now no one is going to believe it!
    I'm also not believing everything everyone says and believing everything that is being said, but I too, am feeling some plausible arguments about ISON, the more I read about it and what Mccanny is putting forward, make me more and more sitting on the end of my seat! I read that he calculated that ISON will be moving past Mars in October, we will be knowing by then more or less what it will be doing to Mars to know if we can expect anything. But if anything does happen that we need to be concerned about Nasa and other parties will surely cover it up!
    I will be reading some stuff about the Sumerians, thanks for that!

http://www.time.com/time/health/arti...049641,00.html

http://beforeitsnews.com/space/2013/...n-2452648.html

Size comparison of our Sun, a low mass star, a brown dwarf, Jupiter, and Earth. Stars with less mass than the Sun are smaller and cooler, and hence much fainter in visible light. Brown dwarfs have less than eight percent of the mass of the Sun, which is not enough to sustain the fusion reaction that keeps the Sun hot. These cool orbs are nearly impossible to see in visible light, but stand out when viewed in infrared. Their diameters are about the same as Jupiter’s, but they can have up to 80 times more mass and are thought to have planetary systems of their own.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Planets_beyond_Neptune
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3_N9_m3u28

http://www.thelivingmoon.com/42starg...Astronomy.html

Interesting that the Sumerians knew of the asteroid belt and knew planets we only recently discovered. Now considering their knowledge and how long it took us to find these planets should we doubt there is another planet?

Page 1 of 20 1 234511 ... LastLast