Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast

Thread: Airbus A380 at Cape Town International Airport?

Grandmaster

Default Airbus A380 at Cape Town International Airport?

I came back from Jhb for work last week, landed at CT Airport 18:00 on Friday and noticed on the far side of the airport what looked like an Air France / British Airways Airbus A380. Anyone know how often they come to CT / Jhb and are they able to land at all the main airports in SA?
    Last edited by CrazyFig; 19-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyFig View Post
    I came back from Jhb for work last week, landed at CT Airport 18:00 on Friday and noticed on the far side of the airport what looked like an Air France Airbus A380. Anyone know how often they come to CT / Jhb and are they able to land at all the main airports in SA?
    I know they land at OR Tambo. I took the A380 to France and back again a couple of years ago. With the Air France A380 I think it has flights to and back to France frm Johannesburg twice a week.
    I've got to stop saying "how stupid can you be?"...........Too many people are taking it as a challenge.

Super Grandmaster

BA is also reinstating their A380 flights which will be flying to Jhb on a regular schedule.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Lufthansa has an A380 that flys everyday back to FRA
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrey
    We're on the internet to troll not to make bonds.

As far as I know the A380 is not used by any airline at the moment to fly to Cape Town. All A380's to South Africa land @ Joburg intl only. As far as I know Cape Town intl does support the A380 ... so there is nothing stopping airlines from flying it there.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

I saw a four engined jetliner (Air France tail) coming in to land at OR Tambo yesterday, while I was driving north on the R21. I looked at it and was a bit confused because it looked like a shortish smallish plane (say Boeing 737) but it had 4 engines!!! (I was "WTF is this??")... eventually I snapped that it looks short because its a big fat A380 lol
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Grandmaster

Would love to see this amazing plane take-off or land here in CT. Only reason I knew it was an A380 was the double row of windows. Was at the open space side of the CT airport with a Boeing 747-8, I assume because it cant fit due to it's size?

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    I saw a four engined jetliner (Air France tail) coming in to land at OR Tambo yesterday, while I was driving north on the R21. I looked at it and was a bit confused because it looked like a shortish smallish plane (say Boeing 737) but it had 4 engines!!! (I was "WTF is this??")... eventually I snapped that it looks short because its a big fat A380 lol
    Wow ... well ... I hope this is true. The A380 is the only one that I can think of that would have Air France colours and 4 engines. I dont think they have 747 or A340's anymore.
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    Wow ... well ... I hope this is true. The A380 is the only one that I can think of that would have Air France colours and 4 engines. I dont think they have 747 or A340's anymore.
    Yeah, no 747 hump and was not a slender elegant A340... that why my brain had a bit of trouble, first time I've seen a A380 in the air.
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    Without a doubt was an A380. Had a full double row of windows, and the front of the plane is quite unique. Saw it from the side, so no doubt here. I was quite surprised...anyone know where you can get flight info for these planes? Is that even publicly available?

Grandmaster

They are not scheduled to use the A380 to CT. Might have been a divert or aircraft change. They usually fly the 777.
    Asus Sabertooth Z77 | i5 3570k | CM V6GT | 16GB RipjawsX 1866 | Asus GTX670 2GB | GB Superb 720 PSU | CM HAF X | Acer G245H

Without a doubt was an A380. Had a full double row of windows, and the front of the plane is quite unique. Saw it from the side, so no doubt here. I was quite surprised...anyone know where you can get flight info for these planes? Is that even publicly available?
    You won't find any scheduled flights of A380s to CTIA because, officially, CTIA cannot accommodate the A380; runway is too short and docking bays are too small.
    "The welfare of humanity is always the alibi of tyrants"-Albert Camus

Grandmaster

OK...just checked images on Google, it looks like it was BA...not Air France. Tail design pattern did not look like Air France, more BA.

Quote Originally Posted by VernD View Post
    You won't find any scheduled flights of A380s to CTIA because, officially, CTIA cannot accommodate the A380; runway is too short and docking bays are too small.
    Ok...I'm stumped then, if the runway is too short...how is it possible it was here? It had 2 full rows of windows, and the only plane I know that has this is the A380.
    Last edited by CrazyFig; 19-08-2013 at 11:55 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird View Post
    Yeah, no 747 hump and was not a slender elegant A340... that why my brain had a bit of trouble, first time I've seen a A380 in the air.
    It is amazing to see them in the air. When I was living in Cyrildene in Joburg they would often fly over our house on their way to land. They really are very quiet ... and to see that huge beast just gliding overhead .... amazing.
    Pieter Dirk Uys

OK...just checked images on Google, it was BA...not Air France. Tail design pattern did not look like Air France.
    Could not have been BA. BA will launch their A380 officially on the Londong - LA route I think. They are currently using it in a testing - comercial flights to Frankfut iirc. September is the official launch iirc.

This was likely a 747 then as BA uses their old 747's on Cape Town route still.
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Page 1 of 3 1 23 LastLast