Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: RICA Promo

Default RICA Promo

I received an sms at 21:28 tonight from 071-375-8687: Congratulations you have won R450,000.00 in the Rica yearly promo, your Ref no(SA55Z). Call Mr Richard Law. on 0780750467. Obviously this is a scam sms, although I could use the extra money for drugs and hookers... The funny thing is, I only bought this sim card on Wednesday. I haven't given this number to more than 5 people yet, and already on Friday I received a call from a life insurance company.

Is there a cellphone company person on here who can tell me how this works? I'm confused, who exactly has access to RICA data and our numbers, and is RICA or CellC selling these lists?

Random?
    “Everything is changing. People are taking their comedians seriously and the politicians as a joke.”

I won $2,768,555

Quote Originally Posted by henniedebeer View Post
    Is there a cellphone company person on here who can tell me how this works? I'm confused, who exactly has access to RICA data and our numbers, and is RICA or CellC selling these lists?
    People being careless with their number then letting it expire and you getting it. Happened with cards I used for data where they were still subscribed to Teljoy. If you had your number for years however and suddenly a Vodacom affiliate calls you *hint hint* then well...
    You say you don't believe in imaginary beings? Well luckily neither do I.
    Letter to a Jehovah's Witness

e-se-tollie

I have bought a new prepaid simcard recently, i have already received two scam smses. Nobody knows this number yet.

I bought a SIM for a Cell-c 3g modem that has only been in a phone to check data balances, and I have received a spam sms.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by siyya View Post
    I have bought a new prepaid simcard recently, i have already received two scam smses. Nobody knows this number yet.
    Happened to one of the guys on the Afrihost MiFi beta too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rickster View Post
    Why is everyone going ape **** over this car, it looks like junk and the performance must be too.
    Quote Originally Posted by KSINGH View Post
    Oh no you didn't

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Swa View Post
    People being careless with their number then letting it expire and you getting it.
    This.

Ditto.

+1

Numbers get recycled all the time.
    ic's back, back again . . .

I thought the Afrihost sims were data only?

But back to my main question, is it possible that someone is selling the RICA list, or can it be accessed publicly? I received another sms this morning from the promo guys, called back and it is a "rewards" program, but I have to buy MTN airtime and send them the pin codes. Classic scam I know, the RICA guys should know I'm on CellC. And then I got a call from ABSA calling me Mr De Beer and trying to sell me a credit card. I do not bank with ABSA, how do they know my name, cell and ID number?

I have "won" so many competitions in the last month, that I'm actually sad to still be working.

Won the Nokia "competition" twice, the RICA draw and another one.

My best guess is that some companies sell your phone number, or swop customer details.

Super Grandmaster

Lucky sods I never win anything..............
    ALL POSTS ARE IN MY PERSONAL OPINION
    "Pray for Our President Zuma and his party, Julius Malema, and Zimbabwean Robert Mugabe... Psalm 109:8".

Quote Originally Posted by Hemi300c View Post
    Lucky sods I never win anything..............
    Get yourself a Cell C sim

I've just "won" the RICA YEARLY PROMO again - R350 000,00!!

I'm rich.

Quote Originally Posted by dabbler View Post
    Get yourself a Cell C sim
    That seems the way to go

CONGRATULATIONS:-Your Cell No. was randomly selected on RICA PROMOTION. You won R250,000. Ticket No.0166P. Call Mr. Johnson 0826655805. From 8am to 5pm

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast