Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: IPCOP and 3G

Default IPCOP and 3G

Help anyone?

I'm trying to setup IPCOP as my firewall, with an HSDPA card as the red interface and a LAN connection to a wireless access point distributing IP to client machines as the green interface. The easy part was getting DHCP to assign IP addresses to the client machines - that's working fine. The hard part seems to be the 3G dial out bit. I'm a Linux newbie, so I know jack about it -- please be kind with the flames :-), but I'd like to know if anyone has done this and how it was done.

If not, I'll try to trailblaze, but it'll not be pretty - like trying to drive an F1 car without a basic driver's licence...

???

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If your router supports PPPoE then it's easy - just setup IPCop for PPPoE on RED and set the router in bridged mode - it should work the same as a stock ADSL router in bridged mode.

If you have an PCMCIA (or laptop) card, then no luck.

Also, keep tabs on your bandwidth usage - out of cap is dreadfully expensive!

Do let us know what happens.

Regards

Libs
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Hi Libs

It's not a router, just a Wireless Access Point with a ethernet input. I wanted to set up IPCOP with the 3G card in the PCMCIA slot to dial out and establish comms with Vodacom & the internet. If it can't do this, it is quite bad luck - but I'll ask the IPCOP dev team to develop this functionality, cos IPCOP is cool and perfect for my needs. Otherwise I'll try and use Linux SuSe in server mode and run another firewall solution. I'm just not sure that the SuSE firewall will do all IPCOP can do, i.e. port forwarding, shaping, proxy etc etc. I was kindof hoping it would do the trick for me.......

Your 3G card will essentially be picked up as a standard modem, provided the drivers are correct. You can then setup the ipcop to dial out using a standard modem/serial port... 'cept you'll get a blazing fast 384k connection rather than 56k

While I haven't done it on IPCop, I've done it on a standard linux distro. It worked very well.

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

@ thisgeek - thanks for the information - and is interesting to know that.

I assumed that AK65 was running a router... bweh, my mistake

Hope all goes well, tho...
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

@thisgeek

I'm gonna give it a try - IPCOP looks like its very much aimed at an analog modem dial up kind of interface (won't let you have a blank user name and password!)

@libs
    I am running a router - IPCOP. 24000 rpm!

IPCop can handle pretty much anything you throw at it. I'm using it with my ADSL modem and letting it "dial up" via PPPoE.

@AK - I found the details for setting up the PCMCIA card on Linux in one of the 3G forums here... it was quite awhile ago tho. I just used it as a basic guide, since I had to do a few things differently, but it wasn't particularly difficult.

@thisgeek - Thanks. I got the Linux stuff as well. The text prompt once you log in as root on IpCop from the console is pretty daunting though. I used to operate DOS quite well, before Windoze turned me into a click user, but I know no Linux commands. Its gonna take time. What I do know is that IPCOP has not picked up the Card as a network interface because all I see as devices are eth0 and l0, so I assume the first trick is to try to get IpCop to "see" the card and then install the necessary drivers, and then work out which port the Modem is installed to.

@thisgeek

Update - plugged in my Cell into the USB port and Linux / IPCop immediately saw it and assigned port ACM0 to it. Got it dialling out fine. So it seems to be a missing driver for the 3G card. Linux sees it but then says it is not claimed by an active driver. So.....I'll have to find a driver...but at least there's progress......

AK
    Last edited by AK65; 13-10-2006 at 11:54 PM.

Master

Hi AK,

Are you using the linksys 3G router, i'm just trying to get a feel for the problem..
    If you are using a router there are other optoins.