Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Telkom ADSL Data Usage

Default Telkom ADSL Data Usage

So, the site at adsl.telkomsa.net just says you have used XX% - no other details.

I am sure it was more detailed in the past. Is there another site that mentions things in greater detail or do I just not know how to use the above site?
    ★ mAcme for Mac OS X & 3G | Antenna & Tower Help
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru
    Block WASPs on MTN. Dial *141*5# Select Content Billing.

http://userstats.adsl.saix.net/ shows how much you used each day in gigs rather than a percentage

"Dont underestimate me. I know more than I say, think more than I speak, notice more than you realize."

Thanks schumi - that was the site I saw last time I checked. Bookmarked.
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru

RoMark - ta - just got it from schumi. Thank you both.
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru

Blog Entries

Everytime I come across a thread like this it makes me laugh, then makes me very angry. I don't get why people still use the pathetic and expensive services of TelkomInternet, when there are so many awesome alternatives out there.

Please, for the love of broadband, switch to an ISP that actually cares about its customers, and actually gives you the information you need in a quick, easy, user-friendly and informative manner.
    Last edited by Saajid; 21-09-2013 at 09:52 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Saajid View Post
    Everytime I come across I thread it makes me laugh, then makes me very angry. I don't get why people still use the pathetic and expensive services of TelkomInternet, when they are so many awesome alternatives out there.

Please, for the love of broadband, switch to an ISP that actually cares about its customers, and actually gives you the information you need in a quick, easy, user-friendly and informative manner.
    Your opinions are noted. Go do your homework before you embarrass yourself any further.
    ELO: Here is the news...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Your opinions are noted. Go do your homework before you embarrass yourself any further.
    +1 for this.

Everytime I come across I thread it makes me laugh, then makes me very angry. I don't get why people still use the pathetic and expensive services of TelkomInternet, when they are so many awesome alternatives out there.

Hi Saajid

Please elaborate on your feelings - I'd like to know what you think and why you recommend something else.

For my part, I do not use Telkom ADSL myself. I am somewhat of a nomad and have no permanent residence. Some nights (most) I spend at my GF's place. So I use 3G (from various sources, as I am constantly testing it).

My father has ADSL and he is away this week so I have been looking after his house. I spend a good deal of time here (I run my office from his house) during the day but I can' take advantage of the Telkom ADSL offer when I am not here. I do have a few MAcs running at his place but I need to make sure I don't deplete his account.
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru

+1 - Well said

and still it does not work for me can't log in

Quote Originally Posted by GreGorGy View Post
    So, the site at adsl.telkomsa.net just says you have used XX% - no other details.

I am sure it was more detailed in the past. Is there another site that mentions things in greater detail or do I just not know how to use the above site?
    Unfortunately, due to technical changes we made in February, the detailed stats that we used before were no longer relevant.

Initially, we provided basic information from the new platforms. Also, a lot of users complained that it was too difficult to understand the old layout. So, product management requested that it be simplified.

Since then, other changes (Night Surfer, Free Social Media) mean that some of the options we investigated were not viable.

Of course, these new products also tied up our developers (and some more new ones coming soon).

There is a project to bring detailed stats back, but with the current workload, that will probably not be before December.

Well, maybe you need to inform MyBroadband. According to their comparison, we are 2nd cheapest, or 3rd cheapest. However, as far as I know, neither Afrihost nor Vox offer:
    -Free social media
    -Free unlimited Night Surfer

So, depending on your needs, you may see that we are actually the cheapest.

And, there are more changes coming which will underscore this point.

Unfortunately, while we can innovate a lot ourselves, we are subject to Telkom's 'Enterprise' IT team's architectural decisions. They decided a few years ago that they will be the one portal for everything. A few years down the line, and you can now see on the telkom.co.za portal that you have ADSL on your line, but not what speed ...

We are not allowed to activate any service on our portal (we did in the past, until about 2006 or 2007), that *MUST* happen on https://secureapp.telkom.co.za/eportal/

So, since our customer self-service functions are also supposed to migrate there, we have really only been doing maintenance (and keeping up with projects that require changes) on our online tools. I believe this is the wrong approach, but to get the 'Enterprise' IT architects to agree to build a real portal for our customer's needs may be impossible.

The tracker tool will be enhanced, but the product managers ultimately decide what level of information they want displayed, and they have gone for minimalism at this stage. If you have suggestions on minor changes (e.g., would you prefer the bar to show number of GB?), we can maybe get them accommodated.

Detailed usage information is on the roadmap, but probably not before December.

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Unfortunately, due to technical changes we made in February, the detailed stats that we used before were no longer relevant.

Initially, we provided basic information from the new platforms. Also, a lot of users complained that it was too difficult to understand the old layout. So, product management requested that it be simplified.

Since then, other changes (Night Surfer, Free Social Media) mean that some of the options we investigated were not viable.

Of course, these new products also tied up our developers (and some more new ones coming soon).

There is a project to bring detailed stats back, but with the current workload, that will probably not be before December.
    Thanks ranger - useful as always. So is that other site accurate then?
    MyBB Currie Cup SuperBru

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by digitalp View Post
    +1 for this.
    Quote Originally Posted by Underworld View Post
    +1 - Well said
    Jeez. You guys shock me. What homework do I need to do? TelkomInternet has never been the cheapest (and still aren't) and even called uncapped a farce, before backtracking. Sure they are not the most expensive either, especially with the recent changes, but the other ISPs are responding in kind. In comparison to some of the packages from the other ISPs, they are expensive.

Most recent ADSL pricing comparisons:
    Capped: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/8...ces-in-sa.html (thanks ranger)
    Uncapped: http://mybroadband.co.za/news/adsl/8...-compared.html

For the rest of my rebuttal, please read below:

Quote Originally Posted by ranger View Post
    Unfortunately, while we can innovate a lot ourselves, we are subject to Telkom's 'Enterprise' IT team's architectural decisions. They decided a few years ago that they will be the one portal for everything. A few years down the line, and you can now see on the telkom.co.za portal that you have ADSL on your line, but not what speed ...

We are not allowed to activate any service on our portal (we did in the past, until about 2006 or 2007), that *MUST* happen on https://secureapp.telkom.co.za/eportal/

So, since our customer self-service functions are also supposed to migrate there, we have really only been doing maintenance (and keeping up with projects that require changes) on our online tools. I believe this is the wrong approach, but to get the 'Enterprise' IT architects to agree to build a real portal for our customer's needs may be impossible.

The tracker tool will be enhanced, but the product managers ultimately decide what level of information they want displayed, and they have gone for minimalism at this stage. If you have suggestions on minor changes (e.g., would you prefer the bar to show number of GB?), we can maybe get them accommodated.

Detailed usage information is on the roadmap, but probably not before December.
    Now you can get all the above information from Afrihost, MWEB, Axxess and WebAfrica, last I checked. With Afrihost, you can even get it conveniently via their smartphone apps. Some of the ISPs do it way better than the others, but the information is still there.

Whatever the internal reasons are, the fact that TelkomInternet can't give you this basic information for like the last 5+ years is a complete joke.
    Last edited by Saajid; 20-09-2013 at 03:48 PM.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast