Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: [Vodacom] Email to SMS Gateway

Default [Vodacom] Email to SMS Gateway

Hi all,

I've developed an application that needs to SMS me a status message a few times a day.

I thought making use of the email to SMS gateway via 082xxxxxxx@voda.co.za would do the trick.

But only the first message from a sender per smtp server is sent! Guess they are trying to stop "abuse" ... I could probably work around this by using multiple smtp servers, changing the sender details etc.

Is there an easier way or a reliable free service available? Can't I make use of my free SMS's some way?

EDIT: I see there's www.vodazone.co.za at R0.33 (ex VAT) per SMS.
    Last edited by biometrics; 14-11-2006 at 08:21 AM.

You could buy a couple of sim cards (they're about R5 each) and register them with vodacom4me.co.za. Each one of these will provide 20 SMSs per day.

I've already developed something that utilizes the vodacom4me service with multiple accounts, so PM me if you're interested in it.

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by biometrics View Post
    Hi all,

I've developed an application that needs to SMS me a status message a few times a day.

I thought making use of the email to SMS gateway via 082xxxxxxx@voda.co.za would do the trick.

But only the first message from a sender per smtp server is sent! Guess they are trying to stop "abuse" ... I could probably work around this by using multiple smtp servers, changing the sender details etc.

Is there an easier way or a reliable free service available? Can't I make use of my free SMS's some way?

EDIT: I see there's www.vodazone.co.za at R0.33 (ex VAT) per SMS.
    How about using a GSM modem and send it directly from your app?

I use a cute little USB modem to do just this. Then you can also make it bi-directional.

Default USB GSM Modem

vodacom3g,

What do you use and what would you recommend for doing this?