for the last two weeks I were evaluating US Servers vs EU Servers...and here are my results:
If you wish to play with fellow South Africans, play the following factions here:
Alliance -> Stormrage
Horde -> Whisperwind
Both these Realms are US servers with an average latency of about 550-650 ms (return trip time). Sometimes it varies to about 800ms and the best I've seen is 420ms on occations in a non populated place even 350ms.
There are about 4 South African Raiding Guilds on Stormrage and are:
1. Affliction - www.affliction.co.za
2. Ancients of Honor - www.ancientsofhonor.com
3. Awakened Guardians - www.awakenedguardians.co.za
4. Flame of Anduril - www.flameofanduril.com
I have either experienced raids with all of the above or have good friends that are members of the above guilds. They are all great guilds and with a focus on End-Game content.
Each of these guilds have at least 90 Unique South African Players and you'll often end up in a UBRS / BRD run etc with players from these guilds.
They all RAID at about 19:30 (GMT+2) and you see alot of Afrikaans Player Names (like mine).
On Whisperwind however I only know about ONE huge South African Guild called Sorted ( www.sorted.co.za ). I also have two toons in this guild and everyone seems real nice...and YES, they also RAID at about 19:00 (GMT+2)
I've played on a few EU servers to test latency and especially to see if I can meet up with any South Africans. Believe me...I've asked alot of people where they from. What annoyed me a bit on RP Servers...is an answer like "I'm from Ironforge" or "I'm from a small, small town far...far away....called Southshore".
Anyway....reasons I've decided to keep playing on US Servers:
1. Everyone speak English....man are there a lot of Russians / Polish / Latin / Other non-English speaking people who flood the "LFG" channel. It really started annoying me, since I can't read or understand any of the European Languages (besides English / Dutch and a little bit of German.
2. I could not find any other South African players playing at the time I were on, except a few friends and one or two okes on Sylvannes (which btw I loved to play on, due to low latency and since it is a PVP server).
3. The Looking for Group Channel seems to quiet down a lot after 22:30, where as if you really wanna play late on a weekday, you can still find plenty of Pug groups on US Servers. I also think there are a lot more player playing on US Server than EU Servers. Lots of time I was questing all alone, which reminded me back to the EMU (Beta) Servers in those days. You basically solo a whole area on a map.
Play on US Servers (two realms above) if you want to meet Other South African Players or RAID with fellow South Africans.
If you do not want to RAID as such, and love PVP / Solo... play on EU Servers. Latency on EU servers are GREAT. The best I've experienced were 230ms, average of about 400ms. This can vary alot on satellite links.
I do hope my post will help people find the right REALM and the right version of the Game.
BTW.... you can play on EU Servers, using an US version of the game... All you need to do is:
1. Change the Realmlist file to "eu." instead of "us." and....
2. Otain the "wow.exe" file from a friend with a UK version.
Good luck and PST me if you are new on Stomrage.
60 Warrior (Stormrage)