Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast

Thread: 2014 Antivirus recommendations

Been happy with eSet for more than a decade.

Caught a nasty that evaded our corporate (McAfee - vomit) scanners
    -------------------------
    MyBB LFC Supporters Club
    Diablo 3 - GDruid#1919
    MyBB Member BattleTag and Clan Officer List

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by NomNom View Post
    I think it's called Microsoft Endpoint Protection
    Microsoft Security Essentials, with the corporate edition called ForeFront Endpoint Protection
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Super Grandmaster

I'm happy with Comodo Internet Security . For a free product its everything all these paid suites have.

I also really enjoyed Webroot in the past (because it is lightweight and i never saw it ever) , but it's not free and i've grown tired of shelling out all kinds of fees every year to cover the 3+ PCs i have around the house.

Blog Entries

I love those people that say "MSE+common sense".

If a hacker targeted their systems they would have their browser turned in an instant All they would have to do is get the person to visit the website in any browser. The person would not even have to interact with the page to get infected. Spear phishing and java drive by`s ftl

Viruses and trojans can easily be made to get around MSE. In fact, its one of the default antiviruses that virus crypters focus on getting around. It is also an antivirus with a poor record and last year, they nearly lost their antivirus accreditation.

Rather get something better than MSE.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by ghoti View Post

If a hacker targeted their systems they would have their browser turned in an instant All they would have to do is get the person to visit the website in any browser. The person would not even have to interact with the page to get infected. Spear phishing and java drive by`s ftl

Viruses and trojans can easily be made to get around MSE. In fact, its one of the default antiviruses that virus crypters focus on getting around. It is also an antivirus with a poor record and last year, they nearly lost their antivirus accreditation.

Java doesn't come anywhere near any of my machines, if needed I'll run it in a VM. Java is responsible for over half of virus infections on Windows machines.

Quote Originally Posted by AfricanTech View Post
    Been happy with eSet for more than a decade.

Caught a nasty that evaded our corporate (McAfee - vomit) scanners
    I flippen hate McAfee, it's either that or Norton here.
    New Zealand the land of Norton Anti-virus.

Agreed with this.

If a hacker targeted their systems...
    That is where I stopped reading. Yes a little arrogant, but I find this fear mongering of hackers just waiting [in droves] to fsck around with you a bit strange. Perhaps before the world end; or like it, it might happen.

a few simple tricks?

• Don't click links in mails you know you are not suppose to get.
    • Don't open attachments in mails you know you are not suppose to get.
    • Be suspicious about anything you download not from a normal location.
    • Be suspicious about anything incoming from some place other than your drive.

These imho falls into common sense which already will avoid a few things.

I have no mall-ware scanner.
    I have no firewall part windows one.
    I have no other antivirus part defender.
    I have no traffic filtering.

Of course you can up it one level by isolating your browser. Hec you can even use a provided service to assist with filtering your traffic. The only browsing additions I am using at home is a VPN, a secure DNS, Ghostery and ABP.

That is it and yet I have not had an infection in a very very long time. Skill? Luck? Common sense? Who knows.

However having said all of this, if it makes you feel more happy about your pc then enjoy it your way
    Last edited by Necuno; 23-01-2014 at 08:28 PM.
    Disclaimer: The use of my free time precludes any reproach.
    Latest: Does your ISP unshaped speedtest ?!

MSE is good enough for me.. and common sense even more.

ANY anti-virus program can miss a new worm, virus etc. but what bothers me the most is, folks that don't keep their software up-to-date. I had to remove so many virus of students laptops it's scary (ok, granted maybe they didn't have access to the net on their personal pc's to update the definitions, but still).

common sense to me = don't insert someone else's flash drive in your pc to copy the latest cracked version of angry birds

So get any anti-virus program and keep it up-to-date and don't click on things you are unsure of.
    Never test the depth of the water with both feet ...

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Necuno View Post
    That is where I stopped reading. Yes a little arrogant, but I find this fear mongering of hackers just waiting [in droves] to fsck around with you a bit strange. Perhaps before the world end; or like it, it might happen.
    I'm with you on this. MSE is works 100% fine for me, and I sometimes visit the dodgiest sites imaginable
    Quote Originally Posted by Cheri_N View Post
    Wanna shag Skootvreter? Oh God, before you answer that question... why Skootvreter?
    View the epicness here --->

Master

The big problem with most paid AV's these days is they are either uber-complicated or treat you like a child.
    For free I'd love Avast AV and Comodo Firewall but the two never seem able to play nice.
    I was one of the many in the "Great MWeb Emigration of 2013"

Another thing to keep in mind is that some are better at removing malware and others are better at preventing malware. A while ago Comodo kept getting poor reviews for not removing all malware, but on a clean system it was tops at preventing new infections.

Also, why all the hate for AVG?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by grim View Post
    Java doesn't come anywhere near any of my machines, if needed I'll run it in a VM. Java is responsible for over half of virus infections on Windows machines.
    Yeah, its the easiest, but definitely not the only method of getting a payload delivered. But yeah, when it comes to mass infections, it is currently the easiest. I run Java, but I need it I have games and applications that rely on it. Its more important for me to keep java updated than my AV

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

ANY anti-virus program can miss a new worm, virus etc. but what bothers me the most is, folks that don't keep their software up-to-date. I had to remove so many virus of students laptops it's scary (ok, granted maybe they didn't have access to the net on their personal pc's to update the definitions, but still).

common sense to me = don't insert someone else's flash drive in your pc to copy the latest cracked version of angry birds

So get any anti-virus program and keep it up-to-date and don't click on things you are unsure of.
    This is not about "just missing a worm", this is about its the number one AV that viruses writers crypt for.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by Dan C View Post

Disabling autoplay would also help big time the rest I agree with
    theanno@gmail.com <-- Spammers/Scammers spam/scam here

Quote Originally Posted by gfmalan View Post
    I personally don’t believe that free anti virus products work so well. There are teams of people preparing the update definitions, so why would it make business sense for some company to give it away? So my opinion is to go for a paid product from a big company, then you can be sure they put allot of people on the development team for the new daily definitions.

The antivirus thing is like selecting a German car, what do you like, Audi, BMW and Merc, all good cars, and all roughly doing the same, but each one do something a bit different.

So I use Common Sense + NIS 2014 for standalone users (home users) and Symantec Endpoint for Corporate users.
    While using Symantec/Norton products, I keep in mind that it doesn’t detect all viruses/malware etc., but on the other side I also know that Trend, Mcafee, Kaspersky detect those viruses, but let others go through un noticed.
    Like they say, better the devil you know..

So then Android is shyte.... its free...
    i7 2600K @3.8 | GA Z68P-DS3 | OCZ Vertex 4 256gb SSD | 16gb HyperX Red | GTX670 Windforce | Antec H2O 920 | CM 600W Silent Pro M | CM HAF 922 | 27" IPS WQHD

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 123 4 LastLast