Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Buying a new tv

Default Buying a new tv

Hey guys. I am looking at buying a new tv new dvd player and a video machine. I can probably fork out about R500 for a dvd player. About R800 to R900 for a new tv and about R300 for a video machine. What are the makes I should go for and what shops should I go to?

Are you like a social experiment that lives it's life based on forum concensus?

Super Grandmaster

Why do you still want to get a video machine? Just get a DVD recorder and use it for both.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by mooK View Post

I live in a rural country town which has nothing. I cant remember what shop would be the best to go to. I have a few of my dad's tapes that are still very sentimental and its too expensive to convert them to dvd. Where I live has no shops that sell tv's hi fi's nothing like that. Ask Toilet Duck, he will agree with me

Super Grandmaster

Bought a Telefunken 15 months ago, not to happy with it. (sound ect.)

Got myself a Wharfedale from Hifi Corp (I know its an unfamiliar name)

But it's great, going on 6 months now but dont regret of buying.

Banned

Don't buy one of those DVD/VHS all in one machines. If something goes wrong it is difficult to fix.
    You can probably get a good DVD player for R500 if you shop around.
    The more you pay for a TV, the longer it will last. Panasonic are made here and they have a 2 year guarantee.
    Stay away from Hi-fi Corporation. Endless problems with guarantees and service. They sell grey imports too.

Okay. I was thinking about getting the dvd player from there. My ex and I bought his parents a dvd player from there. I think its a San Sui or something like that. They have had it for about a year now and no complaints at all. Still going strong

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by mooK View Post
    Bwahahaha.
    Ninety percent of the politicians give the other ten percent a bad name. -- Henry Kissinger

Banned

Check out the reviews in the TV & Hi Fi magazines for the best value DVD Players.
    We had two VCRs from Hi-fi corp. Both lemons.. lasted 3 weeks. Check out hellopeter.com for public views on that shop. There's also a thread on this forum.

ok thanks, I will do. Haha.

Dont forget to shop around for a multizone DVD player, some of the Enzers are multizone but try to stay away from these oddball makes and try go reputable. Also stay away from HiFi Corp if you can, and also avoid Telefunken which are garbage. And make sure the TV is stereo and can do NTSC and PAL (same for DVD player) also look at a nice set of speakers for the DVD player so that you can peeve your neighbours.

lol ok I will keep that in my mind. But one problem. The neighbours on the one side, love to party and dont have neighbours on the other side are not living in the house and house is for sale, so got to wait I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    Don't buy one of those DVD/VHS all in one machines. If something goes wrong it is difficult to fix.
    You can probably get a good DVD player for R500 if you shop around.
    The more you pay for a TV, the longer it will last. Panasonic are made here and they have a 2 year guarantee.
    Stay away from Hi-fi Corporation. Endless problems with guarantees and service. They sell grey imports too.
    I've bought so much stuff from them in recent years and never had a single problem.

Get the cheapest dvd player you can find - for some odd reason they're pretty much guaranteed to play just about anything unlike some of the more pricey and finicky players on the market.

Unless you're planning on spending a fortune on a surround sound system with a kick-ass tv there's little point in spending big bucks on a dvd player.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown
    Ron White was right

I've had my fair share of probs with hi-fi corp. Everything I've bought, except the current 1 yr old dvd player, has been broken just after their 12 month warranty service...I would agree that if you want to buy from hi-fi corp then buy the cheapest thing there is...esp a dvd player..

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast