Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: VW Golf (4) 1.9 TDi - is the turbo problemetic?

Default VW Golf (4) 1.9 TDi - is the turbo problemetic?

I've got a 2003 VW Golf (4) 1.9 TDi. I've had it since 2004 and bought it with about 35 000 km's on the clock. I've now got 73 000km's. I recently visited a VW dealer and he suggested that I sell he car at 90 000km's. I ama fairly conservative driver and do not abuse the turbo in any way. I also have few friends that have had to have their turbo replaced at a cost of about R15 000-00.

Is it worth getting rid of the car even though it's in such good condition?
    Can anyone advise me whether the turbo is problemtic on high milieage?

The Turbo shouldn't be problematic, but resale value as far as I know, drops off quite sharply after you've done 100000kms.... I have just bought a 2.0 Highline with 86000 on the clock, and will prob sell it just before it gets to 100000....
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

most cars drop in resale value after the "phsycological" 100 000 mark. My second car has passed 300 000km's and have not had any hassles to date.

I'm also on 248 000Km. Desided it's not worht selling it now. Will drive it till it breaks, fix it, and drive some more. (still less expensive than buying a new car.) (oh, car is payed in full )
    "Don't be in a hurry, Death will find you." - spiderz, 16/01/2014

I think the TDi versions of the vehicle are especially problematic due to the low quality diesel fuel we have here in SA.

Its not uncommon for the turbo’s to blow in the TDi’s – I know there have been problems in the past.

You can also ask some BMW 320d owners – MANY have had replacements, and one of the factors is the diesel here in SA.

Quote Originally Posted by Ap0c View Post
    I think the TDi versions of the vehicle are especially problematic due to the low quality diesel fuel we have here in SA.

Its not uncommon for the turbo’s to blow in the TDi’s – I know there have been problems in the past.

You can also ask some BMW 320d owners – MANY have had replacements, and one of the factors is the diesel here in SA.
    is it worth losing 30-40k on depriciation if you take the turbo into consideration?

Seems like none of the people on your topic actually drive and TDi, or a diesel-engined car for that matter

OK Tweety, some real advice. No, the turbo's on turbodiesel cars do not fail due to low quality diesel. The only way that high sulfur diesel can have an adverse affect on the turbo, is because the high sulfur content breaks down the oil in the motor that also lubricates the turbo. Thats why, prior the Jan 2006, many turbodiesel cars had an oil change schedule every 7500km. The turbo failures on BMW 320d/330d models were because of boost problems at highveld altitude. The issue was remedied free of charge by BMW. Other failures were because racy BMW drivers went and cranked up the boost beyond specification.

Secondly, most turbochargers need to be reconditioned at around 100,000km - Petrol & Diesel. That includes replacing bearings, sleeves, etc. You can have the whole unit replaced at VW for around R15k - that includes the whole system, pipes, intercooler etc. Since your VW will be out of warranty and Motorplan by the time the turbo fails, getting it reconditioned for less than half the price is recommended.

For further reading regarding VW/Audi TDi's, please visit This Site.

Super Grandmaster

How many problems are caused by owners not letting the turbocharger cool down a bit before they shut off the engine?

Quote Originally Posted by noxibox View Post
    How many problems are caused by owners not letting the turbocharger cool down a bit before they shut off the engine?
    That problem is most prominent on Petrol Turbo cars. The combustion temp. for a Diesel is almost 300 degrees less than Petrol.
    If you drive your TDi at 190km/h and shut the engine off immediately, the turbo will fail eventually. If you ponder around a parking lot looking for a space, that 2-4mins is more than enough for the turbo to cool down.

I drive my own TD but without the i (Intercooler). It is the way you drive a TDi that kills it. If you are used to a free revving 16V you will destroy a TDi by driving it in the same way. TDi is different, more power at lower revs, no need for higher revs.
    "I do not know with what weapons WW III will be fought, but WW IV will be fought with sticks and stones." Albert Einstein

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

turbo = asthma pump

If the vehicle is over 100 000kms and it's still in a good condition, and there's no gotchas with the engine/gearbox (major expensive service or overhaul) then I'll buy the car, keep it for 5 or 6 years, sell it off and buy another 2nd hand car...
    Last edited by The_Librarian; 05-01-2007 at 01:38 PM.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

VOTE #ROCK FOR PRESIDENT

The thing about the 1.9 TDi (if you have the 96kw) is the engine highly tweaked so the turbos often blow especially when driving hard.

But find out if you can have it reconditioned before the motorplan expires

Hi, i have a 2002 Golf TDI. I recently changed a lot of things that work with the turbo;inter coller, turbo and others. My problem is when the car reaches 80 km/h the turbo dies out.

Default turbo diesel

Quote Originally Posted by Simakade View Post
    Hi, i have a 2002 Golf TDI. I recently changed a lot of things that work with the turbo;inter coller, turbo and others. My problem is when the car reaches 80 km/h the turbo dies out.

hey, i had this problem too, basically your turbo pressure is deviating from what it should be ... your computer picks this up and then it switches your turbo off ... first thing is to check with vag com if you get any errors, if you do it will prob read ... boost pressure positive or negative deviation, if this is the case, it could be a number of things, could be a sensor, (airflow meter, map etc), its possible one of the pipes has a leek as well, or more serious could be that the turbo has sticky vanes ... this may not be a cheap problem to fix ... i changed all sensors, no difference, so i ended up buying a new turbo(kkk in stead of garet as it was cheaper and has titanium spindle) and the result looked like sticky vanes ,,, so with the new tubo the problem subsided ..