Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast

Thread: Religious scriptures inconsistent with Science or Logic

I never said any different.

Edit :
    The opening post claims that religion is inconsistent with science and logic. I was merely pointing out that whatever way religion was inconsistent with logic, so was science.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Edwe View Post
    I've countered just about every kind of "science disproves religion" post at least once in one of the other threads already, so I can start quoting myself and recycling my posts
    I dont think science is out to disprove religion. Just the bull***** in it. If a religion has no bull***** in it, then there is nothing for the religion to worry about.

To me science is the understanding of God, and therefore walks hand in hand with "religion"
    Last edited by ghoti; 07-01-2007 at 12:59 PM.
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Any experience that is repeatable and that yields measurable results can be said to be objective. That is to say that any member of the human species( or any other intelligent being) who is in possesion of the senses required to experience a phenonema can repeat and measure an objective experience.
    It doesn't matter that it is possible for everyone who repeats the experience to be suffering from a delusion, as long as the measured results of the experience are always the same.
    If everything we experience is a delusion it is still possible to observe the delusion objectively (scientifically).
    For instance distance can be experienced objectively because it can be measured with bits of plastic that we call rulers that are always identically calibrated (unless you believe that rulers recalibrate themselves to suit every individuals personal delusion).
    In the world (delusion) that we all share, religious experience will always be subjective. Religious experience is always an indvidual occurence and can never be measured.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Any experience that is repeatable and that yields measurable results can be said to be objective.
    Only if one does not use subjective means to obtain the results.

It doesn't matter that it is possible for everyone who repeats the experience to be suffering from a delusion, as long as the measured results of the experience are always the same.
    Wrong.

If everything we experience is a delusion it is still possible to observe the delusion objectively (scientifically).
    Wrong.

For instance distance can be experienced objectively because it can be measured with bits of plastic that we call rulers that are always identically calibrated (unless you believe that rulers recalibrate themselves to suit every individuals personal delusion).
    Wrong.

In the world (delusion) that we all share, religious experience will always be subjective. Religious experience is always an indvidual occurence and can never be measured.
    Correct. However, the same goes for everything else we experience.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    Only if one does not use subjective means to obtain the results.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Wrong.

Correct. However, the same goes for everything else we experience.
    Um...OK then. You know what you are actually behaving like a lunatic. Honestly. Your logic is faulty beyond belief and you are apparently the only person who believes this crap. So unless you really think you are some lone genius bravely espousing the truth against all odds, get a grip.
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    Um...OK then. You know what you are actually behaving like a lunatic. Honestly. Your logic is faulty beyond belief and you are apparently the only person who believes this crap. So unless you really think you are some lone genius bravely espousing the truth against all odds, get a grip.
    Lone genius, huh?

This stuff is pretty standard fare - take any basic and I'm by no means the first person to come up with it. Any basic philosophy class will explain the problems with subjectivity.

If you want a historical explanation, go look at Plato's illustration of being stuck in a cave and simply being able to see the shadows of the beings outside.

Quote Originally Posted by Xarog View Post
    Lone genius, huh?

This stuff is pretty standard fare - take any basic and I'm by no means the first person to come up with it. Any basic philosophy class will explain the problems with subjectivity.

If you want a historical explanation, go look at Plato's illustration of being stuck in a cave and simply being able to see the shadows of the beings outside.
    I tell you what, stop being ridiculous and explain how the measurement of distance with a calibrated tool is a subjective experience.

Simple - you're still looking at the ruler with your eyes.

Just leave Xarog be in his little mind games...
    Boycott MWEB
    1. Leave MWeb! They WILL throttle your 1Mbps line to death as soon you download over 100GB
    2. Cancellation form

Grandmaster

What Xarog is saying is that everything is a figment of your imagination therefore he doesnt exsist niether do I niether does the universe leaving nothing not even a dot. Something has to be real otherwise there would be nothing.
    There are 10 types of ppl in the world those who understand binary and those who dnt ......

Just to throw a spanner in the works....

You are all figments of my imagination and its very very definately WHY i dislike most of humanity, cos i have a messed up imagination...
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Quote Originally Posted by supersunbird
    Just leave Xarog be in his little mind games...
    It's not mind games. How you define reality is important. Understanding your own relationship to reality is important. Understanding the limits of the tools you use to describe reality is also important. This is what my argument addresses, and pity the fool that thinks its mere mind games.

Quote Originally Posted by Gunny
    What Xarog is saying is that everything is a figment of your imagination therefore he doesnt exsist niether do I niether does the universe leaving nothing not even a dot. Something has to be real otherwise there would be nothing.
    Correct - to a point. I know I think - there is no subjectivity involved in that experience. Hence my mind exists; but I cannot conclusively draw any conclusions about how my mind exists without resorting to using subjective perceptions, namely sight, hearing and so forth.

Grandmaster

If you are so sure your mind exsists it must be made up of something. If not there is nothing, if there is nothing your mind cannot exsist. So matter exsists and it cannot be destroyed.
    There are 10 types of ppl in the world those who understand binary and those who dnt ......

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ToxicBunny View Post
    Just to throw a spanner in the works....

You are all figments of my imagination and its very very definately WHY i dislike most of humanity, cos i have a messed up imagination...
    Thanks for your honesty.

Only problem being my imagination makes people who argue with me and who argue in circles, which drives me insane.
    Quote Originally Posted by Korn1 View Post
    I have been called a retard my whole life

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst 12345 678 LastLast