Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Same-sex couples to be banned from UK ballroom dancing

Default Same-sex couples to be banned from UK ballroom dancing

Name:  plan_to_ban_gay_couples_in_uk_ballroom_dancing.jpg
Views: 934
Size:  22.9 KB Name:  Ballroom-1.jpg
Views: 1063
Size:  16.8 KB

The British Dance Council is considering banning same-sex dance partners from participating in ballroom dancing competitions.

According to LGBT rights activist Peter Tatchell, the council’s rules sub-committee has proposed defining a dance couple as having to consist of a “man” and a “lady”.

The new “Approved Competitions and Championships” rule would read: “This Council recognises a partnership to be one man and one lady in all adult amateur and professional competitions and championships unless otherwise stated.”

The British Dance Council (BDC) is the governing body of ballroom dancing in the UK and formulates and administers the rules for all competitions.

“I am really distressed that the BDC is even considering banning us,” commented Heather Devine, who competes with her female dance partner Chrisi Lyons. “We’ve put in a huge amount of effort. To exclude us will mean that we can’t dance in mainstream competitions any more. This seems so unfair.”

Devine and Lyons are the current European Same-Sex Senior Women’s Champions, and are registered to enter the mainstream UK Closed Championships in Bournemouth in July.

Devine has written to Bryan Allen, President of the BDC calling on the council to reject the new rule.

“Contrary to claims by some supporters of the new rule, male same-sex dance duos do not have an advantage. Ballroom dancing is not like tennis or football. Power and strength are not the key to winning. Poise, musicality, expression. timing, floorcraft and presentation are the main judging criteria. This means that two men do not have an advantage over a mixed-sex couple,” she said.

Tatchell, who is supporting the campaign against the rule change, pointed out that a same-sex couple ban would probably be illegal under the UK’s equality laws.

“We are concerned this proposed ban may be motivated by some judges, competitors and spectators not being comfortable with the participation of same-sex dance partners,” he said.

The British Dance Council will consider the rule change on 21 July.
    http://www.mambaonline.com/2014/07/1...llroom-events/

The more things change the more they stay the same ..... well, sometimes I guess.

Hope this rule does not get passed.
    I don't pay taxes, I pay royalties
    Pieter Dirk Uys

About time the Fair Competition Commission stepped in and did something. No fun if team fabulous wins the "Best Dance Couple" trophy every year
    If you want to be happy for the rest of your life, don't make a yoga instructor your wife!

I hope it won't be passed, the UK equality law (mentioned above) hopefully will stop this, should needs be.

Looks like some people are still living in the shadows
    Why don't you take a peep at my blog: KoeksWorld
    It's time a revolution began already!

o for ****s sake
    homophobia 1, common sense 0

Can't see them getting this ban passed. Not in the UK.
    On the internet you can be anything you want.

It's strange that so many people choose to be stupid.

At the centre of my bubble of perception.

Two women dancing can look quite good. Awesome actually.

Two men ... meh.

Devine and Lyons are the current European Same-Sex Senior Women’s Champions
    So they support gender exclusive classifications!

Quote Originally Posted by PotShot-RSA View Post
    So they support gender exclusive classifications!

There has been a need for the gay community to create its own events and competitions for its "citizens" due to the fact that they simply would not be welcomed in the straight mainline events. Same places like gay bars. They simply were not welcome in straight establishments, and so created their own. But not only not welcome, the threat of being attacked and killed back then was not only a possibility, it was a real probability.

Same for the Gay Games. And with the Gay Games you are not discrimnated against if you are a straightie. If you are gay friendly and would like to take part, then you are welcome to.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gay_Games

Name:  logo-paris-gay-games-2018.jpg
Views: 325
Size:  10.8 KB
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Do they still have "mixed doubles" at Wimbledon?
    ELO: Here is the news...

Quote Originally Posted by MickeyD View Post
    Do they still have "mixed doubles" at Wimbledon?
    Dont come here with your straight agenda

Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by koeks525 View Post
    I hope it won't be passed, the UK equality law (mentioned above) hopefully will stop this, should needs be.

Looks like some people are still living in the shadows
    On what grounds would they get involved? They're considering banning same sex couples from participating not gays and lesbians. And, by couples we mean dancing partners not lovers or life partners.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    On what grounds would they get involved? They're considering banning same sex couples from participating not gays and lesbians. And, by couples we mean dancing partners not lovers or life partners.
    ^this
    ELO: Here is the news...

True.

I still dont like it though.

And as they say, it is not like male dance couples have advantage. If it was couples figure skating perhaps, seeing that there are lifts etc involved, but then I would assume the male couple would actually be at a disadvantage due to his male partner that he needs to lift weighing a lot more than what a female partner would have weighed?
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Quote Originally Posted by Ockie View Post
    True.

I still dont like it though.

And as they say, it is not like male dance couples have advantage. If it was couples figure skating perhaps, seeing that there are lifts etc involved, but then I would assume the male couple would actually be at a disadvantage due to his male partner that he needs to lift weighing a lot more than what a female partner would have weighed?
    Who says it has anything to do with an advantage perceived or otherwise?

Ballroom dancing has always been about the traditional dynamic of a strong masculine lead and a passive feminine following. To change that dynamic is to change ballroom dancing. If you allow two men in tuxes and two women in evening dress you then need to allow for a man in evening dress and a women in a tux or a the women leading and the man following and any amount of variations. Which is fine per se but completely changes the nature of the sport. You don't have to like the sport as it is but, that is what the sport is and you shouldn't change everything you don't like because, other people are entitled to like what they like too.

This is really a case where gay people should just do their own thing elsewhere if they don't like the way things are. No ones excluding them from traditional ballroom dancing.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

Who says it has anything to do with an advantage perceived or otherwise?

Ballroom dancing has always been about the traditional dynamic of a strong masculine lead and a passive feminine following. To change that dynamic is to change ballroom dancing. If you allow two men in tuxes and two women in evening dress you then need to allow for a man in evening dress and a women in a tux or a the women leading and the man following and any amount of variations. Which is fine per se but completely changes the nature of the sport. You don't have to like the sport as it is but, that is what the sport is and you shouldn't change everything you don't like because, other people are entitled to like what they like too.

This is really a case where gay people should just do their own thing elsewhere if they don't like the way things are. No ones excluding them from traditional ballroom dancing.
    I see your point.

I am not that bothered, as I dont follow this sport at all. I do feel however for the same sex couples that would like to take part in a mainstream even with the partner of their choice.
    Pieter Dirk Uys

Page 1 of 9 1 2345 ... LastLast