Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: copying parts of image in photoshop

Default copying parts of image in photoshop

I'm trying to select & copy one person from many is an image using photoshop. I wanna copy this person's shape as is and paste it on another image. Not sure which tool to use. When i use pen tool it highlights the persons as i want but fills the whole area with grey color. When i drag the selected area, it moves the selection only but the desired image. I know i should be posting this at the right place, just trying my luck here...

Grandmaster
    Blog Entries

Use the Marqee [ spelling ? ] tool aka Magic Wand, copy and paste onto a new layer
    Last edited by stix; 01-02-2007 at 03:04 PM.
    When everyone has a public voice, we see how many people just don't have anything interesting to communicate
    Sportslinks

Quote Originally Posted by stix View Post
    Use the Marqee [ spelling ? ] tool aka Magic Wand, copy and paste onto a new layer
    Quite difficult to work with it... Does not select precisely.. But will practice maybe it's me

No -- the pen tool is (IMHO) the best way to do it: but make sure that the "Paths" button and not the "Shape layers" button is selected (top left on the toolbar, once you've selected the pen tool).

Also, Auto Add/Delete must be deselected.

Then, click around the outline of the person, once the path is complete, right click and select "Make selection..."

Then you can invert the selection and feather etc before deleting the background or copying the selection to the clipboard.

Will see if I can find an online tut which explains better than I can without pics.

ETA:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...bps_4abfly.htm
    http://www.celoxdesign.net/free/phot...orials/view/36

Cool a Photoshop thread

Okay I am making some transparent gifs in Photoshop at the moment but my problem is the border always has a 1 pixel width white line on it... How do I get rid of that?

It really makes a different when I am making a transparent gif which only holds text?

Quote Originally Posted by sonxEr77 View Post
    I'm trying to select & copy one person from many is an image using photoshop. I wanna copy this person's shape as is and paste it on another image. Not sure which tool to use. When i use pen tool it highlights the persons as i want but fills the whole area with grey color. When i drag the selected area, it moves the selection only but the desired image. I know i should be posting this at the right place, just trying my luck here...
    Personally I prefer the magnetic lasso tool.
    Quote Originally Posted by GavinMannion View Post
    Cool a Photoshop thread

Okay I am making some transparent gifs in Photoshop at the moment but my problem is the border always has a 1 pixel width white line on it... How do I get rid of that?

It really makes a different when I am making a transparent gif which only holds text?
    Without seeing an example I'd first try adding white when you're selecting your transparency colours.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

Quote Originally Posted by texo View Post
    No -- the pen tool is (IMHO) the best way to do it: but make sure that the "Paths" button and not the "Shape layers" button is selected (top left on the toolbar, once you've selected the pen tool).

Also, Auto Add/Delete must be deselected.

Then, click around the outline of the person, once the path is complete, right click and select "Make selection..."

Then you can invert the selection and feather etc before deleting the background or copying the selection to the clipboard.

Will see if I can find an online tut which explains better than I can without pics.

ETA:
    http://graphicssoft.about.com/od/pho...bps_4abfly.htm
    http://www.celoxdesign.net/free/phot...orials/view/36
    Hi Texo! Great link thanks a lot.. 1 problem though.. After converting the path , when i make selection either by right clicking or following the instructions from the link i get a warning saying "No pixels selected", then my path would be deselected. Any suggestions!!

This now has became a more painful exercise. Apparently this warning is a common error (No pixels were selected) when making selections in photoshop. Found few solution after googling with no success. One common suggestions seems to be "to reduce feathering", doesn't work. some1 suggested to set color on the background. I mean the background layer is an image itself, how do you see its color anyway. Oh! i noticed the moment i make changes to the background it changes to an editable layer, somehow the name background disappears or changes... Oh! Maybe it's because i'm working on the background itself.. Should i first duplicate background as layer then use pen tool to make a new selection? be back...

Quote Originally Posted by sonxEr77 View Post
    Should i first duplicate background as layer then use pen tool to make a new selection? be back...
    Yep.. That's it.. Never work with the background layer, first duplicate.. Sorry guys for talking to myself.. thought i should share this info....