Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast

Thread: Cricket questions

Default Cricket questions

HI

I have lately developed a soft spot for the sport i once hated: cricket. I have been watching all the recent Proteas vs Pakistan matches (test series & ODI). And i must say, i'm loving the sport.

As a result i have been bombarding my mates with all sorts of "stupid" questions, like what is a maiden over, what does an ODI stand for, why cant the batsmen smack the ball all the time to hit fours & sixies, and the all time classic: Why is Makhaya Ntini considered one of the world's best cricketers while he can't bat
    At least now i know that it is because of his bowling skills!

But there is one question that bugs me: Why are there so little number of national teams? I was just checking the ICC ODI ranking, and there are only 10 teams listed... why? It is because other countries do not qualify or they just don't take part in cricket? How many teams will play the world cup this year?

pardon my ignorance!
    life is short, eat dessert first

I don't know if what I'm saying is right but cricket is an English sport and it spread across to some of the Commonwealth Nations. Originally there was only a few teams that played. Basically they're the top nations now in the ODI rankings that you see. I guess uptake of cricket was also dependent on the interest as well. As you said, you weren't interested and for countries that were never exposed to cricket, it would take some convincing to know and want to play the game.

There are smaller teams like Bangladesh, Kenya, Scotland, Netherlands, Canada etc playing now.

Not the entire answer u were looking for but that's my view.

At least the World Cup Cricket is a little more representitive of the World than world series baseball. Mind you, most USA'ians consider the USA a world on it's own.

basically cricket is not a really huge game and most of the countries that play cricket have a long cricketing history or where colonised by the English as said above

but a lot of the nations that play England never went into

cricket is sorta like rugby not as big as soccer

there isn't really a reason other than its just how it is hahaha

on the USA topic

how many countries play american football ice hockey and baseball?

american always have to be different thus you get all those sports no one else plays

Thanks you all
    That was helpful

I also found a nice list of all cricket playing nations, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...s#Full_Members

Yep and USA have a team as well. I think 20/20 will be big in USA...those damn Americans have such a short attention span...

well, apparently cricket in the US is slowly starting to get big, only problem is funding as cities tend to prefer to spend on baseball fields or basket courts than a cricket pitch/field. I think if it takes off there on a domestic level they will be better than anyone in the world not cause i like the states, but simply this, unlike in in the current countries where its played the US has alot of provinces/states + 200 million ppl? thats alot of potentional..
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

One of the problems with Cricky in the USA is much like football, it is not Advertisment frendly, if you look at basketball, rounders.... opppss I mean Baseball, and what they call football, they are a few minutes of play, stop, talk, ads

It is often said that the English invented Test Cricket, to give them an idea of what an eternity in Hell would be like
    Above us only Sky

Un-metered Lives 2009

well every six balls they turn around in field, balls get hit out of the grounds alot or into the crowd, ball gets changed in ODI, drinks breaks etc so there are plenty times.. and you know how fast some americans speak :P
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Quote Originally Posted by zico View Post
    I was just checking the ICC ODI ranking, and there are only 10 teams listed... why?
    Those are the Test playing nations. Zim's inclusion at this time is controversial.
    | As for man, his days are numbered, whatever he may do, it is but wind. |

I have a question.

From all the cricketing nations, Why is it that all of them except Aus and SA, have indian players??

SA have one so called 'test' player, and Bodi whos not a starting player.

Canada is 80% Indian, Kenya and the Netherlands as well, New Zealand has 2 bowlers, England has 5 and had a Indian captain, West Indies has a few to.

So how is it that SA with the highest population of Indians outside India have 2 who are not really built in the starting lineup???

Quote Originally Posted by JK8 View Post
    I have a question.

From all the cricketing nations, Why is it that all of them except Aus and SA, have indian players??

politics.... I hate politics...
    now that you started, why SA has only one black player?
    try to answer that and i will answer your question too.

I like the way things twist & turns here, i was just asking why only few nations play test cricket, and i got the answer long time ago!

I like the way things twist & turns here, i was just asking why only few nations play test cricket, and i got the answer long time ago!
    Ok looks like im starting something here again.

In SA they are not allowed to field a team with more than one player of colour

Quote Originally Posted by JK8 View Post
    I have a question.

SA have one so called 'test' player, and Bodi whos not a starting player.

Canada is 80% Indian, Kenya and the Netherlands as well, New Zealand has 2 bowlers, England has 5 and had a Indian captain, West Indies has a few to.

So how is it that SA with the highest population of Indians outside India have 2 who are not really built in the starting lineup???

maybe cos they not good enough or haven't been borught up from good cricket schools. Hashim Amla is Indian. Think Goolam Bodi was given a chance while back. Not sure though.

Page 1 of 6 1 2345 ... LastLast