Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter



Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 137

Thread: Woman in church.

  1. #1

    Default Woman in church.

    According to 1 Cor 14:34 woman may not speak in church?

    What's the story with this one?
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

  2. #2

    Default

    1 Corinthians 14
    As in all the congregations of the saints, 34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.


    You can indeed ask what's the story with this one. I didn't think we would still find this teaching in the new testament. I believe Jesus' view to have been that men and woman were equal. Unfortunately He could never say this directly as He might have been stoned right there and then never to fulfill His destiny. I think most of His disciples still thought that men and women are not equal so for them the law would still take precedence the same way the Catholic Church don't allow women to be priests.

    According to law it is the responsibility of the man to be the religious head of the family. It is not actually a privilege so is more of a discrimination against men than against women. I think the way it is seen here is that if a woman speaks in the church then the man has failed his duty which is to inform his wife and children. Today however man and woman are seen as equals at being the head of the house so no one finds it a disgrace anymore when a woman speaks in church and we can probably discard it like the law to make sacrifices for our sins.

  3. #3

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Prometheus View Post
    1 Corinthians 14
    As in all the congregations of the saints, 34 women should remain silent in the churches. They are not allowed to speak, but must be in submission, as the Law says. 35 If they want to inquire about something, they should ask their own husbands at home; for it is disgraceful for a woman to speak in the church.


    You can indeed ask what's the story with this one. I didn't think we would still find this teaching in the new testament. I believe Jesus' view to have been that men and woman were equal. Unfortunately He could never say this directly as He might have been stoned right there and then never to fulfill His destiny. I think most of His disciples still thought that men and women are not equal so for them the law would still take precedence the same way the Catholic Church don't allow women to be priests.

    According to law it is the responsibility of the man to be the religious head of the family. It is not actually a privilege so is more of a discrimination against men than against women. I think the way it is seen here is that if a woman speaks in the church then the man has failed his duty which is to inform his wife and children. Today however man and woman are seen as equals at being the head of the house so no one finds it a disgrace anymore when a woman speaks in church and we can probably discard it like the law to make sacrifices for our sins.
    Verbal gymnastics....

    Normally when the bible give instructions that don't sit well with modern thinking, we're told "It's in the Old Testament and the NT superceded that". Even when Jesus said something like "Uphold the old laws", it's argued that Paul explained we don't need to anymore, effectivly overruling Jesus.

    But here we have Paul himself saying you should uphold the old laws, exactly the opposite of what people like dodo tried to argue.

    I'm still waiting for the list (from the likes of prom and dodo) on exactly which old laws are still valid and which ones not. They've claimed, more than once, that (at least certain of) the old laws are superceded by the NT.

    So where's the list?

    Reality is that no such list exist in the bible and the result is the classic verbal backflips we see from prom:
    Today however man and woman are seen as equals at being the head of the house so no one finds it a disgrace anymore when a woman speaks in church and we can probably discard it like the law to make sacrifices for our sins.
    So we discard the teachings of Paul and the old laws when it suits us? But other times (when that's more suitable) we say it's Paul's teaching, inspired by God.

    What a strong, solid base for religion the bible provides us. No wonder christians all stand together as one.
    Last edited by Neo; 13-02-2007 at 08:52 AM.

  4. #4
    Super Grandmaster
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    13,841

    Default

    It is the same with deciding what is literal and what is figurative. It all depends on the mood of the day and with what they can get away.

  5. #5
    Super Grandmaster BCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    12,560

    Default

    Logic: 1 ----- Bible: 0

    I like this score!

  6. #6

    Default

    Paul was actually talking about speaking in tongues, not literal talking people!
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Regis View Post
    Paul was actually talking about speaking in tongues, not literal talking people!
    That fat women in the 'Jesus Camp' better take note. She was babbling away in tongues like there was no tomorrow....

  8. #8

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Neo View Post
    That fat women in the 'Jesus Camp' better take note. She was babbling away in tongues like there was no tomorrow....
    You are referring to?!
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

  9. #9
    Super Grandmaster BCO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Location
    Jhb
    Posts
    12,560

    Default

    He's referring to a documentary called "Jesus Camp".

    Very interesting doccie, you should watch it.

  10. #10

    Default

    Ah ok, I assume you have watched it then
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

  11. #11

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Regis View Post
    Ah ok, I assume you have watched it then
    Ja he said it was very interesting, so I also assumed he watched it.
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

  12. #12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Regis View Post
    Paul was actually talking about speaking in tongues, not literal talking people!
    You know this how?
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nick333 View Post
    You know this how?
    We actually had it as a sermon one day in church
    "illegitimi non carborundum"

  14. #14

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Rex Regis View Post
    We actually had it as a sermon one day in church
    Oh, it must be true then. Christian ministers would never make things up to justify the apparent evil in their religion.

    Edit: And an intelligent person would never offer unsubstantiated suppositions as fact unless they actually knew wtf they were talking about.
    Last edited by Nick333; 13-02-2007 at 12:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by icyrus View Post
    Good to see that you are still a bigoted ignorant arsehole. Some things never change.

  15. #15

    Default

    Enough with the metaphores man!

    Speaking doesn't mean speaking in tongues.
    Intel 486 DX2 66MHz
    16MB RAM (4x4MB)
    Tseng 4000 1MB 256
    512MB HDD
    Creative Sound Blaster 16
    Creative Quad Speed CD-ROM
    14" Tatung VGA 800x600
    Windows 95

Page 1 of 10 1 2345 ... LastLast

Bookmarks

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •