Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast

Thread: New MTN Data package to be announced 17 Feb 07?

not to mention skype.
    " Has my reputation preceded me? or was I toooooo... quick for it? " -Z.Braniggen

Super Grandmaster

I'm pretty sure VOIP will be charged differently, just wondering if text IM messages also will be.

@ MTNDD

It seems the news finally broke from what I've read from the other thread! From what I've read there, it sounds pretty good.

I haven't seen a newspaper yet, but there are a lot of questions.

Can you please break it down for us, the pros and cons, how it effects the existing data bundles, contracts, the SMALL PRINT...

It will prevent a lot of obvious questions to come.

Thanks
    Gecko

Super Grandmaster

From what I've heard so far there's no mention of the differential pricing based on protocol that Gladiator mentioned early. Can someone from MTN please confirm or deny this? Is the data on this package treated the same as all other data on MTN, no shaping, protocol limitations etc?

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Syndyre View Post
    From what I've heard so far there's no mention of the differential pricing based on protocol that Gladiator mentioned early. Can someone from MTN please confirm or deny this? Is the data on this package treated the same as all other data on MTN, no shaping, protocol limitations etc?
    im going to do neither, il leave that for data dude to advise, hes so much closer to the marketing aspect than i am.
    Avada Kedavra!

Super Grandmaster

Ok thanks.

Originally Posted by Gladiator

im sure if u read the fine print for these new tariffs ull notice that.

1. Tier based pricing structure for instant messaging (ie. mxit, jabber, Google chat etc) @ R25/mb

2. Tier based pricing structure for P2P (ie. torrents, gnutella, etc.) @ R25/mb

3. Tier based pricing structure for VOIP (ie. Skype, etc.) @ R25/pm
    Anyone know if this is true? If so i dont see the benefit if the low price applies only to http. I only have a 425MB bundle and do ample surfing already for less... all i want is P2P but cant afford the cost atm.

@ Gladiator

why do you not show us the fine print ??

the "fine print" i saw, was for MTN data bundles effective 18th feb, so theres no doubt the fine print i saw is for the same data bundles released today.

ill post the exact wording of the fine print tomorrow, this was a while back, so they might have dropped the "conditions", but i doubt it, they would not of done that without telling anyone.

thank you , that would be very nice if you could do.

I am sure a lot of people are wondering about this.

Hanno

Super Grandmaster

They'd have to publish the fine print though wouldn't they? I'd just like a conclusive answer from MTN.

"In terms of the current regulatory regime in South Africa, please note that these tariffs and the MTN GPRS, GPRS+, EDGE or 3G technologies may not be used to transfer or generate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) traffic. Should it be found that VoIP traffic was carried over the MTN network using these tariffs or technologies, MTN reserves the right to cancel the agreement that you have with MTN, with immediate effect. You will also be charged retrospectively at R21.93 per Megabyte (VAT excluded) for any VoIP traffic transferred by such means."

Nothing is said about torrents mxit or any other services.
    Some days it's not even worth chewing through the restraints!

Quote Originally Posted by Gecko View Post
    @ MTNDD

It seems the news finally broke from what I've read from the other thread! From what I've read there, it sounds pretty good.

I haven't seen a newspaper yet, but there are a lot of questions.

Can you please break it down for us, the pros and cons, how it effects the existing data bundles, contracts, the SMALL PRINT...

It will prevent a lot of obvious questions to come.

Thanks
    Gecko
    http://mybroadband.co.za/vb/showthre...t=66833&page=2

Hope that helps - Check out Snakepit's reply

MTNDD

Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Data_Dude View Post

MTNDD
    Just checked the thread but all it reads is...
    1 gig bundle was R499.00 is now R399.00- introduction of a 500mb bundle-350 mb bundle is now R210.00-100 mb is now R80- 10 mb bundle remains unchanged.

****Please note that if a customer subscribes to the 1GB Data Bundle between 18 Feb 2007 and 18 May 2007, he / she will receive an additional 1GB of data FREE for three consecutive months after date of activation. For the duration of the promotional period, the following details relating to these two contracts will be communicated****

what this would mean is that you would be charged in effect 20c per meg, wowsas!
    All i found off the MTN site, http://www.mtn.co.za/?pid=232088, was concerning VOIP as quoted below...

In terms of the current regulatory regime in South Africa, please note that these tariffs and the MTN GPRS, GPRS+, EDGE or 3G technologies may not be used to transfer or generate Voice over Internet Protocol (VoIP) traffic. Should it be found that VoIP traffic was carried over the MTN network using these tariffs or technologies, MTN reserves the right to cancel the agreement that you have with MTN, with immediate effect. You will also be charged retrospectively at R21.93 per Megabyte (VAT excluded) for any VoIP traffic transferred by such means.
    This is understandable but still havn't heard or seen anything concerning P2P. I would assume P2P would be allowed as it states nothing in their terms and conditions.

Full clarity on the restrictions would be very helpful as i dont want to pay for the bundle if im only allowed http traffic.

thx,
    Last edited by acidrain; 18-02-2007 at 11:59 PM. Reason: Left something out :)

Quote Originally Posted by MTN_Data_Dude View Post

MTNDD
    Thanks MTNDD.

But most questions are not answered yet. Could you please have a look at it all and get back to us, especially regarding the rates on the different protocols. I haven't seen any fine print regarding that on any MTN website.

Thanks

Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 12345 6789 ... LastLast