Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Electricity Drama!! How to bypass or switch off a ripple relay ?

Grandmaster

Default Electricity Drama!! How to bypass or switch off a ripple relay ?

Electricity Drama!! How to bypass or switch on/off a ripple relay ?

Hi All

I am staying at my house on the Vaal this weekend and we had a blackout yesterday and today. After the power came on the geyser failed to warm up. The house has a "Decabit Ripple Relay" fitted to the mains that controls the geyser. You can distinctly hear when it is signalling and switching on and off. Since this morning...nothing.

For some or other reason its switched off and wont switch on by itself. It has a little switch that I can see from the outside of the box and it shows an open circuit symbol next to the switch (is it off?). The position above it shows a closed circuit (is that on?).

If I open the box and toggle the switch to the "on" position will my geyser get hot again?

This house was built in the 80"s and the relay is a Decabit Ripple Controller number RE1.

Any advice appreciated (and yes I did call the local municipal "electricians" but they didn't have a clue what I was talking about and said they would send someone out (which they never did) . The guy answering the phone could barely speak english and I had to repeat my name, adress and the problem about 15 times. The thing is I need hot water for tomorrow and it being Sunday out here in the stix I probably won't get any help and will most likely have to get a private contractor out from JHB (Civilization) ..but that will only probably happen on Monday.

Thx
    8 years on this forum...but will I survive another 8 ...

Grandmaster

Bump(sorry, kinda desperate as its 5.30 am and still no hot water) anyone got a suggestion?

If the switch in the relay is white like mine then it has a spring return. Mine freaked out and i wedged the contact closed with a rubber from a pencil and it has been like that for years.

HTH
    Any man who can drive safely while kissing a pretty girl is simply not giving the kiss the attention it deserves. Albert Einstein

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by CooperS View Post
    If the switch in the relay is white like mine then it has a spring return. Mine freaked out and i wedged the contact closed with a rubber from a pencil and it has been like that for years.

HTH
    Worked thx!!!!!!!!!

Jeez i LOVE this forum !!!

I'm in the exact same boat, only thing is, my ripple relay unit at home has NO switch.

It's a Motorola unit but I don't see any switches. I've even opened up the unit and still cannot see the switch.

Does anyone know where it is or how I can bypass this? Model Motorola - Code - 010048 - Randburg Town Council.

I see a spring return and a contact on the right of the spring.
    At present, it is making contact with its counterpart, should I separate the 2 or should it be forced to make contact?

When ever it turns off I give the box a good slap with my hand and the switch jumps back to the on possition. Been doing this for a couple of years now

SmoothOokerMaximus The_Librarian's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Or invest in a solar geyser?
    Christ-mass is NOT for Christians. Jeremiah 10.
    Is the 10 Commandments for Christians?

Saturday is the Seventh day, Sunday is the first day.

Or a heat pump? Just installed one. So far am very happy with it. Like the flexibility of setting temps. Will save approx. 45% to 65% of water heating costs.
    Last edited by McT; 09-10-2011 at 07:07 PM.
    Real Men Don't Rape! [Lead SA]
    Report rape and sexual abuse. You can SMS an anonymous tip-off to 32211. SMS charged at R1.

I'm wanting to bypass my decabit re1 unit completly, as I now have a timer on my geyser. Can anyone confirm the wiring of these things ?

Looks like it's neutral (1) : live (2) : In (3) : Out (4)
    . An awesome util : DropBox
    . Mind blowing bandwidth
    . 5gb Static IP for R115 month to month

PM me for details, or for access to my website where tech details on the relays are to be found