Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Power Cable Problem

Default Power Cable Problem

Hey Guys,

I'm posting this thread on behalf of my friend S1ght.

Ok, this is what happened, apparently a plate fell off the table or something and some food fell on his iBurst Terminal's power cable, and as a result, his dog started eating some of the food and ended up chewing through his power cable.

Ok, he tried stripping some of the wire, and rewiring it together, but it still doesn't work, and since this cable comes attached to the terminal and you can't unplug it, he has a bit of a problem.

So he is wondering if it is possible to buy a new cable somewhere or if anyone has any other solutions

Thanx

Grandmaster

So he eats above his modem?

He probably connected the cables the wrong way around, tell him to try swopping them around as it's DC voltage that comes out of the power supply (one lead is +positive and the other -negative) he might have connected it the wrong way around.

Hopefully he did not blow the modem by doing so as I'm not sure if it has protection for reversed power connections.

If it still does not work after swopping the wires then either the power supply is blown or the modem or there is another break in the wire he overlooked.

EDIT: if you look carefully at the lead you'll notice a strip along the lead on one side make sure you match it up on both pieces of the broken lead to keep the polarity correct (positive to positive and negative to negative)
    Last edited by MrH; 03-03-2007 at 01:15 PM.

Lightbulb Go get one at Pick & Pay…

Hi there

Pick & Pay sells a white no name adapter that delivers 1 Amp, same as the iBurst adapter, ensure that the polarity is correctly set and set the voltage switch to 6/7 Volt – this will deliver exactly 10 Volts, same as the iBurst adapter.

Grandmaster

Michael, that might or should work even though the Pick & Pay version does not give out as stabilized a voltage as the original supply does.
    I've checked my iBurst supply before and it is spot on 9vdc output.

Those cheap off-the-shelf supplies are not that well regulated.

Lightbulb Pick & Pay's power adapters work, using two at present...

Hi Mr H

I’ve had two iBurst modem power adapters die on me… (piece of **** if you ask me) I have tested both power adapters that Pick & Pay sells and the white adapter does deliver a stable current (with & without load / amperage & voltage), however the adapter is intended to be used with 220 V and not 240 V, therefore it delivers a higher DC voltage than rated.

What’s important is to ensure that the polarity is correctly set and that the voltage selector is set to 6 or 7 Volt – this will produce a 10 Volt DC current, provided that the household current is 240 Volts, but I’ve noticed that the current runs up to 255 Volt in Cape Town, this in turn produces a 11.3 Volt DC output and this will not harm the modem, might just increase the efficiency of the modem.

Grandmaster

Michael from what you're saying the supply to the modem does not seem to be critical, there is probably a regulation circuit inside the modem itself.

Yeah the mains voltage at my house is anything from 220vac to 265vac and I regularly have to replace blown light bulbs thanks to Eishkom.

At least my power to my PC and other electronic equipment is stable since I have a Isolated Line Conditioner feeding my UPS and that output stays at a stable 230vac.

10 Volt DC current
    provided that the household current is 240 Volts
    hehe, thats an interesting mish mash of electrical theory

this in turn produces a 11.3 Volt DC output and this will not harm the modem, might just increase the efficiency of the modem.
    I wouldn't take chances with voltages sources that the modem isnt rated for. If the voltage is too high and you dont blow the fuse outright you'll just end up drastically shortening the life of the components inside till something fails from over heating.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by PDonut View Post
    I wouldn't take chances with voltages sources that the modem isnt rated for. If the voltage is too high and you dont blow the fuse outright you'll just end up drastically shortening the life of the components inside till something fails from over heating.

Well, it does not smell of plastic burning like the iBurst adapters!

Thanx guys Busy borrowing a noname converter at the moment but I have to set it to 12v or else modem keeps reseting and under strain though it resets, will check at Pick 'n Pay when i get the chance

Grandmaster

S1ght, if you need to set that borrowed supply to 12v so the modem won't reset then it seems it cannot handle the load the modem is putting on it.

The original power supply is rated at 9vdc 1,2amp output so make sure you get a power supply that has a similar rating, the amps it can handle can be higher but try NOT to get one with an output of less than 1amp.

BTW have you tested the old power supply and followed what I said in my 1st post?

Grandmaster

As a matter of interest (or not), the original power supply is a switching power supply with NO transformer for dropping the voltage from 220vac to 12v, where the Pick n Pay type has a transformer and NO electronic regulation, it uses different tappings on the output of the transformer for the different voltage settings.

Above is my bit of useless information for the day.

with NO transformer for dropping the voltage from 220vac to 12v
    I wouldn't say that... of course it has a magnetic. Obviously driven at a few tens of kHz at which it is very efficient.

The iBurst UTD does have several regulators, but, of course an unregulated piece of junk will work, just don't expect the PA to last on the UTD and do expect speed problems.

Quote Originally Posted by MrH View Post
    As a matter of interest (or not), the original power supply is a switching power supply with NO transformer for dropping the voltage from 220vac to 12v, where the Pick n Pay type has a transformer and NO electronic regulation, it uses different tappings on the output of the transformer for the different voltage settings.
    Yeah, interesting but not exactly true. There still is a transformer in a switched-mode power supply, its just much smaller because it works at a higher frequency and uses more efficient electronic components for regulation. The pick n pay one works at the normal 220V/50Hz but there still has to be some sort of regulation circuit otherwise u wont get a pretty DC signal out the other end. The PicknPay ones cheaper to make aswell (at the moment) i think.

Grandmaster

You both are splitting hairs since the transformer you are talking about is for the regulators circuitry, besides I was trying to give a rough idea of how it works to the layman.
    Lets not get picky about the finer details of electronics since I am well qualified in the industry.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast