Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Afronaut is skiing to the cutting edge of IT

Default Afronaut is skiing to the cutting edge of IT

Banned

Interesting.

Shuttleworth now lives in London.

Ubuntu is not a South African product.

IT whiz Shuttleworth emigrates to Britain March 01 2001
    By Nazlia Peer

Mark Shuttleworth, the information technology billionaire, has split up with his partner of two years and emigrated to Britain.

Just over two weeks ago, Shuttleworth told the Cape Argus he had no intention of leaving South Africa, although he would expand his business internationally.

He should try and get the gov to give us broadband..without costing us an arm and leg.
    When have you demonstrated leadership skills?
    "Well my best example would be in online video gaming. I pretty much run the show; it takes a lot to do that."

Banned

Last I heard he was busy trying to circumvent the Google stats facility to improve hit-rates.

JHB. No HSDPA. Very Sporadic 3G (unusable). No iBurst. No Sentech.

“Due to the miracle of broadband, I don’t have to be in any one place,” he explained.
    We're all really happy for you, Mark. Pity you're not committed to helping the rest of your countrymen achieve the same possibilities regarding proper and affordable access to broadband. You know that if you really want to use your money to 'change the world' you could very easily help us establish alternative international gateways for internet access and show what true competition really is.

I guess that would be too much of a challenge in good old South Africa. No wonder you stay away and only visit your homeland one or two weeks a year
    Waiting for the day Consumers' interest is given priority in South Africa over greedy profiteering and unacceptably low service

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    Shuttleworth now lives in London.
    I wonder how he's keeping the fire burning with Khanyi Dhlomo-Mkhize, or maybe she has joined him in London?

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by LifelongGamer View Post
    We're all really happy for you, Mark. Pity you're not committed to helping the rest of your countrymen achieve the same possibilities regarding proper and affordable access to broadband. You know that if you really want to use your money to 'change the world' you could very easily help us establish alternative international gateways for internet access and show what true competition really is.

I guess that would be too much of a challenge in good old South Africa. No wonder you stay away and only visit your homeland one or two weeks a year
    Give him a break - he is doing a hellava lot of good with his open source work and his different campaigns over here - just because he finds the uk a better place to work from (he is running an international project...) doesn't mean he doesn't care - he can't do everything

JHB. No HSDPA. Very Sporadic 3G (unusable). No iBurst. No Sentech.

Quote Originally Posted by kilps View Post
    Give him a break - he is doing a hellava lot of good with his open source work and his different campaigns over here - just because he finds the uk a better place to work from (he is running an international project...) doesn't mean he doesn't care - he can't do everything
    Fair enough - but it doesn't make my previous statement any less true. What better way to promote your country than to help improve conditions and bring Cape Town / Durban / Johannesburg onto the world map as a viable location to run an International Company / Projects from ... just like London?
    Waiting for the day Consumers' interest is given priority in South Africa over greedy profiteering and unacceptably low service

Blog Entries

I doubt Mark Shuttleworth would do anything to help anyone but himself.
    "You will never reach your destination if you stop and throw stones at every dog that barks", Winston Churchill.

Quote Originally Posted by w1z4rd View Post
    I doubt Mark Shuttleworth would do anything to help anyone but himself.
    Bold statement.
    "Ask me no questions and I'll tell you no lies......."

Quote Originally Posted by Angelo View Post
    I wonder how he's keeping the fire burning with Khanyi Dhlomo-Mkhize, or maybe she has joined him in London?
    Unless she suddenly became Danish he's probably not?
    Shuttleworth revealed that he has had a girlfriend for three years a Danish woman who loves SA. He does not intend to get married or have children.
    "Le mieux est l'ennemi du bien." FM Arouet
    "All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing." Edmund Burke
    "Never argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level, then beat you with experience" Unknown

I think were all jealous because he has decent broadband and doesn't have to use Telkom! I mean thats reason enough to make anyone move.