Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: what is the cheapest rate I can get for a 3G connection

Question what is the cheapest rate I can get for a 3G connection

So I can buy a card or a cellphone and then pay R2 a meg that's the cheapest right?

Do I have to be on contract?

What are the hidden costs?

I think the cheapest package is probably that R249 a month one from VC, what is the catch? If I break contract how much do I pay?

Please help, thanks.

Super Grandmaster

If you try and cancel the contract you'll pay plenty, don't do it. You can get prepaid data bundles, for instance 500MB is R189, no contractual commitment, they expire after 30 days.

so where do you buy them? the store?

I think Vodacom4me site is easiest; works for contracts and should work for prepaid, if you have enough Rand Value airtime left..

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by Hansolo View Post
    so where do you buy them? the store?
    You buy the airtime from anywhere and then convert that airtime to a bundle, either via V4ME, using *111# on a phone and going through the menu options or via sms, all the info's here:

http://mybroadband.co.za/wiki/index....Bundles_How_To

The cheapest is 500MB for R189. The cheapest rate is R389 for 2GB at 19c per meg. The easiest and most reliable way to purchase them is through *111# and make sure you have enough prepaid airtime. To check your balance dial *111# -> 1 -> 7.

Grandmaster

And here I was thinking that the Millennium Falcon has a direct uncapped super fast connection to the internet..

Thanks very much guys,

hmmnnn so I buy normal airtime and then covert it to the 3G right?

so should I buy a new 3g cellphone / or a 3G usb modem? which is better? Any recomendations

my cellphone is really old.....

Super Grandmaster

Thanks very much guys,

so should I buy a new 3g cellphone / or a 3G usb modem? which is better? Any recomendations

If you're using it purely for data a modem's definitely better, obviously a cellphone means you could use it as a normal phone etc. too and its often cheaper. A modem will be faster though.

Vodacom Representative

Quote Originally Posted by Syndyre View Post
    If you're using it purely for data a modem's definitely better, obviously a cellphone means you could use it as a normal phone etc. too and its often cheaper. A modem will be faster though.
    If it is a HSDPA modem, 3G phones should work at full 384/64.

Biggest problem with phones as modems is that it's finicky with usb, IR, BT and power cables.

If you're going to use data for more than a few hours per month, go for a dedicated setup with a modem.

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by vodacom3g View Post

Biggest problem with phones as modems is that it's finicky with usb, IR, BT and power cables.

If you're going to use data for more than a few hours per month, go for a dedicated setup with a modem.
    They certainly are finicky. I've had endless problems with Bluetooth. Still using a 6680 at home, but it is permanently connected via USB and I never touch the thing. Charger also permanently connected. I'm not swopping simcards anymore either (bye-bye VM!)

Super Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by vodacom3g View Post

I was assuming an HSDPA modem. Yeah modems just make life a lot easier all around.

what is the best, usb modem or data card? And where can I get one cheapest?

Thanks very much guys,

If you use it occasionally a phone would be better. Get a hsdpa one when a good one hits the market, it will be worth the wait. Bluetooth works best but also eats into the battery pretty quickly so have it charging while in use. If you're going to remain connected for most of the day use a modem instead.
    Quote Originally Posted by jacqvt View Post
    what is the best, usb modem or data card? And where can I get one cheapest?
    Obviously USB can be used anywhere. The E220 is the best and includes the drivers and software on the built-in flash rom. Somewhat pricey but worth what you pay for. If it's too much then go for the cheapish Cell C modems for now.
    Quote Originally Posted by ajax View Post
    They certainly are finicky. I've had endless problems with Bluetooth. Still using a 6680 at home, but it is permanently connected via USB and I never touch the thing. Charger also permanently connected. I'm not swopping simcards anymore either (bye-bye VM!)
    Mine gave a lot of problems until I broke the bt adapter out of frustration and had to buy a new one then it worked fine. The usb cable is somewhat finicky to use and often disconnects itself. The bluetooth and data connection combined can easily drain it within an hour which is about how long it takes to charge so you have to keep it charging.