Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: Skype constantly disconnecting?

Blog Entries

Default Skype constantly disconnecting?

Im having numerous problems with skype lately, calls seem to drop every couple of minutes. Almost constantly. I have checked both my internet connection and the person I am phoning, and we see no dropped packets during this time.

Any suggestions? Anyone else having the same problem?
    "To live is the rarest thing in the world. Most people exist. That is all..." - Oscar Wilde

Blog Entries

in my experience, using Telkom ADSL (1024) at our office, I can expect at least one disconnect per morning (when I use it). Some days are worse, some are better. On the whole, it seems to be better the last month, but I have not been using it as heavily. When it drops, the entire ADSL connection drops for 10 seconds to a couple of mins.

First thing you should check is that you have everything up to date, all software, firmware, etc. get the latest version of Skype, Windows service packs, even your router, BIOS, LAN etc...

second check your line quality, does the line drop when someone calls in? upgrade your POTS filters if you are using ADSL. how is the general line quality in your area?

at least one drop a day is to be expected most days... that seems par for the course... some days you might get five or more drops. If it is happening every two minutes thought... then there is something more serious wrong.

Blog Entries

something else that I did was to buy a Skype number in the USA so my contacts there could call me from their side... worked out to about $30.00 for the year.

I also set my local skype client to forward to my office landline when the client is not available, obviously that is going to cost you more credits, but if you absolutely have to remain connected then that is a backup option.