Johannesburg - The Gauteng government has denied that the installation of closed-circuit television was to blame for this week's power outage in Bedfordview.
The allegation was "completely unfounded," the public transport roads and works department said in a statement on Thursday.
This, after Eskom national spokesperson Fani Zulu claimed on Wednesday that technicians mounting the cameras had drilled too deeply into the ground and damaged the Eskom cable buried one-and-a-half metres down, under a concrete slab.
As a result the cable had started losing oil. The line tripped when the oil pressure got too low, he said.
However, the department said the CCTV project was still in its planning and design phase and there was presently "no such physical work or installation being done on the R24".
A similar project piloted on sections of the M1, M2 and N3, in the past 12 months was powered by diesel generators and not in any way connected to the Eskom grid, it said confident that implementation on the R24 would help improve the quality of transport infrastructure and services.
Bedfordview was without electricity from 03:00 on Monday.
Eskom said it re-energised to the Ekurhuleni municipality at 22:24 on Wednesday.
Ekurhuleni Municipality spokesperson Zweli Dlamini said power had been restored to everyone by 23:00.
It is understood the East Rand town's water supply has since been disrupted, but this has yet to be confirmed.
The power disruption is thought to have cost businesses - including the major shopping centre Eastgate and several restaurants - millions in lost turnover and perished goods.