Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: How do you work study and have a life?

Default How do you work study and have a life?

Well I've started studying again and was wondering how everbody else does it.

If your're working full time and studying how many hours a week do you study also when do you fit them in?

One more is how do you keep the loved ones happy?

When I was studying through Unisa, I was doing 8 modules a year (4 per semester), with a full-time job plus a weekend job (consulting type stuff, so as customers needed). Basically I started studying only 3 weeks before the exams, and then did 2+ hours each evening and 6+ hours per weekend day, with my weekend customers being squeezed in wherever I could. Those were a rough few weeks leading up to and during exams...

Captain Faptastic

I am studying part time and work full time often over weekends too. I am still trying to balance it all. Seeing more and more of my social life getting the chop but it's all good.
    I think old people should be killed at birth

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I am studying part time and work full time often over weekends too. I am still trying to balance it all. Seeing more and more of my social life getting the chop but it's all good.

How many hours do you frequent after work and on weekends?

Super Grandmaster

with great difficulty. When I did part time studies, I attended classes in the evnings. It was hectic. Start work at 7.00 finish at 5.00, my classes were from 6 - 8. I dont have a car, so my husband use to drop me off and pick me up. It was very tiring. I need to study again, although it is difficult with a baby. But I just got to. Oh yeah, back to your question, you have to make the sacrifice. weekend / after work etc. Explain to your family and loved ones that you have to do this, they will understand.

Thanks for the replies so far good to know I'm not the only one suffering

Captain Faptastic

I usually go out on friday night and then maybe do something on sunday evenings. The rest of the weekend is set aside for studying or work. I have to attend 3 hours class on tues eve and thurs eve respectively. Sometimes I will go for a few drinks with mates on a wednesday but slowly that is becoming a thing of the past. I don't mind really as over the next couple years my studies will become very intense and I know I will have very little if any time for myself. Sacrifice I guess

Quote Originally Posted by Datura View Post
    I usually go out on friday night and then maybe do something on sunday evenings. The rest of the weekend is set aside for studying or work. I have to attend 3 hours class on tues eve and thurs eve respectively. Sometimes I will go for a few drinks with mates on a wednesday but slowly that is becoming a thing of the past. I don't mind really as over the next couple years my studies will become very intense and I know I will have very little if any time for myself. Sacrifice I guess
    What are you studying?

Captain Faptastic

Information Systems (Engineering). You?

Studying, working and having a life afterwards is really tough. I started studying part-time and working full time right after I completed my first degree a couple of years ago.

I now have exams in two weeks time again.

My general approach is to attempt to start studying for exams about a month ahead of time. During the first two weeks of that I use 1 to 2 hours a night after work to go through the theory part of my curriculum. Once that is done I start working through old exam questions and papers in mock exam conditions. In fact I start doing this tonight.

This normally entails taking a 3 hour paper and doing it as if it was an exam and then just comparing that with a memorandum afterwards for an hour. I do this on weeknights and then between saturday and sunday I try to get in another 3 or 4 papers. This will continue till monday.

From monday I have an arrangement with my boss whereby I take leave and then only work half day. I thus go home and try to get through at least a paper and half each afternoon and evening.

Then from that weekend its just cramming as much as possible.

Super Grandmaster DigitalSoldier's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claymore View Post
    When I was studying through Unisa, I was doing 8 modules a year (4 per semester), with a full-time job plus a weekend job (consulting type stuff, so as customers needed). Basically I started studying only 3 weeks before the exams, and then did 2+ hours each evening and 6+ hours per weekend day, with my weekend customers being squeezed in wherever I could. Those were a rough few weeks leading up to and during exams...
    Also busy studying through UNISA. But I start to study when I receive my books through the mail. I work from 8am till 5pm everyday and try to study atleast 4-5hours a night and on Fridays and Saturdays I go out but I always try to study atleast 5hours a weekend.

I get up a five or earlier each morning to study. Do you know that at 5 am this morning there where only three users logged on into the myadsl site and handful of non logged in browsers?
    Think the Telkom ripoff is bad in SA? Wait till you see the way that financial services companies and their agents spurge your money.:www.wynsam.co.za

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalSoldier View Post
    Also busy studying through UNISA. But I start to study when I receive my books through the mail. I work from 8am till 5pm everyday and try to study atleast 4-5hours a night and on Fridays and Saturdays I go out but I always try to study atleast 5hours a weekend.
    Wow, that's hectic! I suppose it depends on what you study; I was doing a BCom, and a lot of that is learning stuff, not practise stuff.

In my weeks before the exams, I would work realy hard though; my typical technique is to summarise all the relevant sections for the subjects. Typically, my summary for a subject ran from 50 to 100 handwritten pages. I revised and did assignments and past papers after that.

Grandmaster

One word ... sacrifice.

It pays off in the end. The best thing about the sacrifice you make is framing the degrees on your wall (I have 2) and checking out your bank balance come end of the month.

Captain Faptastic

Quote Originally Posted by sdd View Post
    One word ... sacrifice.

It pays off in the end. The best thing about the sacrifice you make is framing the degrees on your wall (I have 2) and checking out your bank balance come end of the month.
    Yep!!

^-What he said

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast