Facebook   Twitter    YouTube    RSS Feed    Android App    iPhone and iPad App     BlackBerry App    
Subscribe to Newsletter

Thread: edge vs HSDPA

Question edge vs HSDPA

Hey guys, i get a good signal where I am situated and I do have EDGE coverage. However i find the speeds to be pretty bad for what I would like to do with my connection (remote desktop login).

so the big question, if I get a HSDPA modem, will i really see much of a speed difference, in real world terms? because my connection seems incredibly laggy like around 600-800ms to local sites and an intermittent d/l rate of about 4-10k/s , is this normal? would it be better on hsdpa ?

thanks guys!
    -jon

Master

Yes it would.however first make sure that there is hsdpa in your area.
    Whereas edge peaks at 236kbps,the latter peaks at 1.8mbps and soon at 3.6..make sure you take a modem that supports 3.6

Banned

Let's get realistic - you quite likely will never get anywhere near 1.8mbps. This is a theoretic speed that the networks like to claim, but is only achievable under rarified conditions!

Blog Entries

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Highroller View Post
    if I get a HSDPA modem, will i really see much of a speed difference, in real world terms? because my connection seems incredibly laggy like around 600-800ms to local sites and an intermittent d/l rate of about 4-10k/s , is this normal? would it be better on hsdpa ?
    I'm also looking into going over to HSDPA too. And as far as I know the E220 USB Modem supports HSDPA up to 3.6, and yea I know I wont ever get near that unless in unrealistic, out of this world situations. I don’t care really. All I need is the added speed and stability. The only problem is, it seems like I cannot find a Retail price on the E220. You can dream about any contract with MTN, and they have the E220 on it. But do MTN have it on a PayAsYouGo option maybe? Because I’m just not a contract person. A quick search on Google did not even pop up anything, not even from Vodacom.

On my GPRS I can Max out at the “theoretical” maximum of 80/85 kbps sometimes. With a HSDPA modem, what speed can I at least guarantee myself? (Giving Good signal etc etc) What is the average speed that you get on 3G(384)/HSDPA(1.8)? My GPRS averages at about half the “capacity”, if I may call it that – +-40kbps.
    ic's back, back again . . .

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Skeptik View Post
    Let's get realistic - you quite likely will never get anywhere near 1.8mbps. This is a theoretic speed that the networks like to claim, but is only achievable under rarified conditions!
    Same way in which my car has a top speed of 220km/h (downhill that is)
    Avada Kedavra!

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by ld13 View Post
    I'm also looking into going over to HSDPA too. And as far as I know the E220 USB Modem supports HSDPA up to 3.6, and yea I know I wont ever get near that unless in unrealistic, out of this world situations. I don’t care really. All I need is the added speed and stability. The only problem is, it seems like I cannot find a Retail price on the E220. You can dream about any contract with MTN, and they have the E220 on it. But do MTN have it on a PayAsYouGo option maybe? Because I’m just not a contract person. A quick search on Google did not even pop up anything, not even from Vodacom.
    This is always a problem. I don't know why they do it. Perhaps they are trying to sell us contracts?
    You can get data cards from the bigger Vodacom outlets if you ask. Around R2000 or below.

MTN don't seem to have them anywhere I've been. Perhaps MTNDataDude (Official Rep) would know. He's not around much on this forum though .... (hint)

I frequently get around 1.6Mbps on VC. Odd part is, this is when im d/lin on BitComet with around 40 connected peers on one file. After the file is done the speed drops and is back up again when i get a healthy torrent.
    PhII 955BE :: Corsair H50 :: 2x Crucial Ballistix Sport XT 8GB :: Gigabyte HD7850 2GB :: Vantec 500w ]

Blog Entries

This is always a problem. I don't know why they do it. Perhaps they are trying to sell us contracts?
    You can get data cards from the bigger Vodacom outlets if you ask. Around R2000 or below.
    I also found a VodacomSP site that give me the E220 on any contract ranging from R2000 a month to R135 a month. There is no way I’m going the contract route. Now that they know this, they better start throwing some acceptable prices at me. Acceptable being at the R1500 range. R2000+ is just crazy. R1999 is also unacceptable for the Vodacom E220. MTNDD, are you going to be my savior in this "mess"?
    ic's back, back again . . .

I think you can still get the E220 at R85 per month including 40MB pm, on a 24 month contract.

Banned

24 month contracts are for suckers

They are designed to lock you in to rates that in the future will drop.

Blog Entries

I have three contracts, does that make me a sucker then?
    Avada Kedavra!

Super Grandmaster

Maybe so but when Vodacom reduced their data rates they did the same for their existing contract holders.

Grandmaster

Quote Originally Posted by snakepit View Post
    I have three contracts, does that make me a sucker then?
    A super sucker!